Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  1:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh - I'm still laughing so hard. Tears are in my eyes and rolling down my hot, red cheeks I am laughing so hard.

My poor DH. He tries. He really, really tries...

Last night as we were discussing Valentine's Day plans, I mentioned to my husband that he really didn't need to buy me chocolates this year. I have really been impressed about cutting back on sugar, and I've already made these awesome homemade chocolate cupcakes with homemade chocolate frosting and pink sprinkles all over. I've received some great candy and treats already from many of my farmgirl friends... I just really don't need any more sweets! He smiled, winked and said, "I gotcha. No chocolates."

So a few moments ago, the dog started barking hysterically, announcing his arrival home from work. It's a little later than usual, but it's Valentine's Day; he's always last minute on these kind of things.

I made it down the stairs just stairs as he was wishing her a Happy Birthday (our old girl is 11 today!) and our son a Happy Cupcake Day. He gave me a quick peck on the cheek as passed me to go get something he forgot out in his work van.

I proceeded into the kitchen to get him something to drink and there it was - displayed in the middle of the kitchen table, with cards all around: a large, lovely plant.

Only, after the second blink, I realized it was a peace lily. "Isn't that a funeral plant?" I thought to myself. No - it couldn't be. There's a huge red and pink triple-heart pick stuck inside! I stepped closer to get a better look, then gasped. There it was: the "In Sympathy" card. I started howling!

The front door closed, and I heard his boots in the entry. He wanted to know what the heck I was laughing at. I yelled back and asked him what the heck the sympathy plant was for! He said, "Nooo! I got you a pretty plant for Valentine's Day!" That made laugh even harder - how could the man forget after all these years? I KILL PLANTS! His favorite nickname for me is "Al Capone - of Green Thumbs!" No plant stands a chance with me! The sympathy card was glowing in the light of window. No matter how desperately I was trying, I couldn't contain the laughter!

Incredulous at my reaction, he said, "Well, I know you like roses and that, but I wanted something to last, so I got you a lily so it would bloom in time for Easter..." and then with a silly look on his face and in an even sillier voice he said, "like my love blooms for you!" Oh my gosh! Gimme a break! The laughter kept rolling all the louder. He honestly had no idea what he bought me! He looked so dejected, too, the poor thing...

I tried to get the words out during my gasps for air amidst the laughter. He bought me a funeral lily - not an Easter lily! I tried to show him, but he emphatically insisted no, that it was an Easter lily! So I pointed out the "In Sympathy" card on the other pick. HE gasped. He exclaimed, "I thought she took that out of there - and I tipped her, too!" Then he just gave me a blank look and busted out laughing, too.

The lightbulb went on, eyes met, and both of us darted for the plant. We started wrestling for control of the sympathy card - I wanted it for the scrapbook, he wanted it to tear it up for the garbage. The dog came in and started barking at the scene. Our son and his buddy came in to see what was going on. We were laughing so hysterically and struggling so hard that we weren't paying attention... We bumped the table, and the whole plate of pink cupcakes slipped, taking a dive to the floor. Startled, we looked at each other and exclaimed, "We killed the cupcakes!" and laughed even harder than before.

Our son and his buddy just rolled their eyes at us, the dog happily lapped up a little taste of birthday cake, and in triumph I managed to save a torn piece of the "In Sympathy" card for the scrapbook. My husband? Well, he's cleaning up the mess, of course! After all - HE started it! ;)

Happy Valentine's Day, girls!

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 14 2011 1:42:11 PM

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini - loved your story; so light hearted, you described it all so well, I can picture the whole thing in my mind! Happy Valentines Day to you and yours!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  2:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
FUNNY, FUNNY STORY!!!
What a visual!!
THANKS for sharing!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  5:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for sharing Nini! You always write the best stories. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  6:05:18 PM  Show Profile
LOL Nini! You described it so well, I felt I was on the side lines watching the scene unfold. LOL LOL LOL!!!

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  6:12:03 PM  Show Profile
LMBO Nini!!! Those husbands of ours, I swear, they sure do try though don't they. LOL!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  6:13:46 PM  Show Profile
ROTFL!!!! Oh my goodness! You two deserve a reality show of your own!!! I simply loved your valentines story =) Ah...true love !! ;)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  7:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is hilarious! Oh my gosh! I think that needs to get highlighted and printed somewhere! What a wonderful memory to have with your husband!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile
LOL - toooooo funny...!

But cute, very very cute!!

Barbara

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper

www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  8:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Nini you two are just hysterical! Love you Valentine story. I would have loved to see a close up of his face when he saw the card. Thanks for sharing!!! Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  03:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Love It!!!! My morning chuckle.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just love our DH when they do funny things!!My DH always trys to be sneaky. He hid my chocolate and Card under my pillow yesterday trying to make me think he for got about me. So last night I ask him would he trade sides with me for the night because I was baby sitting the grand son and his crib is on his side of the bed. So I could sleep close to the baby. He kept teliing me all evening make sure you trade pillows also. He kept telling me this over and over. I started getting annoyed with him. So when I went to bed I reached over and got my pillow and felt something hard. So I got up and turned on the bathroom light to see what it was and there they were card and candy. I went out and gave him a big kiss. He said I gotcha did'nt I. I said yes you are very sneaky!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Very funny, indeed! What a riot! That's one to tell the grandkids!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Bless his heart! He tried!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  6:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Men, they are so cute...and they entertain us so easily.... lol! gotta luv em!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  10:18:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you all enjoyed the story, girls! We had fun - he makes me laugh. It's a good thing! :)

After dinner, the big lug gave me the most beautiful card and made me cry. He always picks romantic cards, but this one had a special sentiment with a special meaning that only we two would understand - something I needed to hear him say. I was so moved by his words that I blubbered and cried as I read it. I went over and hugged and kissed him. Then, without batting an eye, the moose said, "Yeah... Yeah... Yeah... Well, I love you, you know. I just wanted to give you something nice for Valentine's Day. It's not like I waltzed in and pulled the plant off a casket at the funeral parlor, for Pete's sake!"

<Sigh>

Chivalry isn't dead... but I'm thinking he just might be the one to kill it! LOL!

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My VERY funny Valentine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page