Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile
Okay this has really been bothering me since the beginning of the year. The guys that work for us bought my husband in a new girly calender and hung by his desk at the beginning of the year to replace his old one. I have never said anything about the ones they hang in the barn. But our office is in one big room in our house. I am not to happy about this neither are the other 2 girls who help me part time.
I mentioned something about it in front of the guys one day and they got all offensive about it. They said well they have some clothing on. It is not a completely nuddy calender. But I still have a problem with it. Am I acting like a child about this. Should I let him keep the calender?

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile
My husband has one but i make him keep it out in the garage. An office or work space is not the right place for something like that. WHat if customers seen it? ( i don't know if you have customers in your home) What do you think they would think?

Here comes the warmer weather!!! May God Bless all of our gardens!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile
If it offends you take it down. That is a workplace with both men and women and although I am not sure about laws in the US here in Canada items are not allowed if they are offensive to personnel in the office. Whether you have an office in your home or not shouldn't matter. Take a stand.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile
dorinda; i agree with the others-if it is hanging where other employees or customers can see it, it really does NOT belong there.

same would go if you were to hang a similar "male" type calendar....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile
I never did like that stuff and always found it offensive. I say take it down
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  09:04:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dorinda

Okay this has really been bothering me since the beginning of the year. The guys that work for us bought my husband in a new girly calender and hung by his desk at the beginning of the year to replace his old one...."

Do you mean they simply bought a new one to hang where the old one was? If that's the case, it's a hard sell to say somehthing now...if I'm misunderstanding "where" it is, then I apologize.

That said, since it's a shared office, and it's making the other girl's uncomfortable, too, you have every right to say something. As you've mentioned they get all bent out of shape when you've approached them, simply try talking with your husband about it. Tell him that, while you never said anything before, and you don't care what's in the barn, the girls that work in the office feel that it's inappropriate, and ask him to remove it (nicely). If he belittles their feelings, or yours, then you remove it yourself. You've given him the option.

And, there's always that black sharpie that you can draw great mustache's on the girl with, or add extra clothes...not that I've ever done that...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  09:06:12 AM  Show Profile
You could always make some little clothes for the ladies in the pictures each month

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  09:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Dorinda,

Hmmm - does your hub realize that, with the girly calendar in full view in the workplace of others - including females, that he is leaving HIMSELF (and possibly you as well due to your association with your hub) wide open to a lawsuit should one of the girls decide to go that path? I would definitely remove it. Since you've stated your wishes and nobody is listening, take the power over the situation into your own hands because, if not a form of sexual harrassment, it is definitely offensive and creating somewhat of a hostile work environment for both yourself and your female help.

The male help should not be dictating what you have in YOUR office. Personally, I would not like this either, it degrading, offensive, and humiliating. So myself and imho, I would remove it. And like I said, I'm pretty sure stuff like that is against the law in a work environment.

Perhaps hunt around online and find a notice regarding that sort of thing online (what is and isn't allowed in a work environment), remove the calendar, and replace it with the notice. If or when the guys object, gently remind them that you have the LAW on your side.

Good luck Sweetie!
Barbara

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper

www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Edited by - nh.farmgirl on Feb 14 2011 10:13:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile
..get him a new calendar.. one that is okay for all

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  10:20:42 AM  Show Profile
My dad had a service station when I was growing up. I hated and still do hate those calendars... As a young girl, it was extremely humiliating to me to have to even walk by it, and it gave me really unpleasant signals about my father's true character. I totally understand where you're all coming from. If they guys are going to insist on leaving it up despite your feelings, I was thinking exactly what Catherine was - why not cut out some dresses and aprons from some fabric or paper and permanently affix REAL clothes on them? OR... you could type Scripture in REALLY BIG PRINT and cover each girl with it, and add a picture of Jesus on the Cross to boot! I mean... the writing in the sand worked for Jesus... "Hiding" it so that only certain people can see certain calendars in certain places is still perpetuating perversion. Sometimes we just have to take a stand and do what is right. Let them be defensive - who cares? What are they going to do, SUE you? Which brings up another excellent point... Ingrid's absolutely right. Dorinda, in this day and age your husband could conceivably be sued for sexual harrassment over having something like that hanging in your place of business. I'd be careful about that. I have a whole bunch of other thoughts I'd like to express to you, but I think a possible lawsuit would be THE thing that hits home with your hubby most of all. Despite all the "traditions" of the male work place, a hit to the wallet is one sure way to shake that foundational fabric and effect permanent change. I don't care where the posters are... one women becomes offended and you're in big trouble. I don't envy you one bit in this situation. I'll be praying for you. Good luck and God bless you - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile
I say take it down, but I do like the idea to place 'paper doll' clothes on her. However, that could very possibly open a can of worms. Me? Those calendars just don't make it into the house. Or the barn. I have to work out there, too.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile
When I had my cabinet shop the guys would hang those calenders or posters from power tools with the "ladies in thongs" and I made them take them down. When they protested, I just reminded them who signed their pay check! I told them they were welcome to take them home and hang them in their houses and see what their wives had to say about it. After all, the shop was in my front yard and my kids came in the building. I am not a prude by any means but enough is enough when I am the owner of the business....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Sheri,
You are right! I sign the paychecks! It is my house!! Okay calender is coming down. And No Jonni there was not a girly calender there before I think it had deer on it last year!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile
I prefer the deer, Dorinda ;)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cathymark4ever
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Catherine
Friendswood TX
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Send cathymark4ever a Yahoo! Message
We had the same problem. I tried everything - then I bought a "cowboy of the month" calender. Now we have a nice calender of birds in place of BOTH calenders.

Catherine

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CatherineFinchJohnson
eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CathyMark4Ever-Upscale-Resale?_rdc=1

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  8:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Catherine- ROFL! Oh that was brilliant! What a great way to swap shoes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile
LOL Catherine that is exactly what I would have done! If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander right? I am sure I would have gotten the same results as you also. Both calenders replaced with a nice Chicken calender!

Debbie
Farmgirl #2636
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Girly Calender!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page