LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile
I have a bumper crop of radishes and I'm wondering what everyone else does with theirs. I actually found some really interesting recipes on epicurious.com that I'm going to try, but I wonder if anyone cans them in a relish form or anything like that.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
I love epicurious!! I havent done any of that though. I had some growing in the spring but ate them in salads, put them in omelettes or just w/ salt.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  2:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I tried a simple pickling recipe, however my family didn't care for it. I didn't think they were to bad. If you would like to try one here you go.

I found one recipe at http://www.recipezaar.com/118828

I found one in my handy dandy cookbook. It is the one I use for simple pickled beets, I just substituted radishes for beets. You use mild cider or regular vinegar & sugar. For every cup of vinegar, use 1/2 cup of sugar. Peel and slice the beets, and bowl them in vinegar and sugar for 5 minutes.

I didn't peel my radishes of either recipe, however I think it would have been better if they were peeled.

I read in MaryJane's book that you can ferment them. I thought about trying that, but wasn't quite sure about how to do it. I do know that radishes are an ingredent in Kim Chi, along with cabbage. So if you have cabbage and it is ready you may want to try it. I so alot of KimChi recipes on the internet.

Good luck, and let me know how you do.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Elizabeth. I will try a batch. My son loves pickles so maybe he'll like pickled radishes.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  7:48:55 PM  Show Profile
My favourite "pickle" in the spring/summer is radish pickle. You wash the radishes, and keep the green tops on. Cut the bigger radishes into halves or quarters (keep a bit of the green on!) Salt them with pickling salt, put a weight on them and wait. If you make them in the morning, they're ready to eat in the evening with dinner. LOVE them with rice. I love how fresh it tastes! If they're too salty, rinse them in some water. I think the pressing is key. I've got a little container that has a flat plate thing in it connected to a knob so you just tighten the knob to press the stuff inside. You can salt other things like cucumbers, small eggplants, mustard greens (adding a little dried chili pepper really spices things up!)

I also like fennel and radish salad. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe. 2:1 ratio thinly sliced fennel to thinly sliced radish. The dressing is a simple lemon vinegrette. Yummy! I would post the recipe, but unfortunately, that book has been packed! The dressing is lemon juice plus good extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper. I think that's it. -Cat
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  05:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Not really a recipe, but when I was a kid, Mom would butter white bread and slice radishes on it for "radish sandwiches". Perhaps it was our Midwest version of the cucumber sandwiches served at "high tea"!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  07:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Audrey-
I love radish sandwiches!! Yum yum. Hmmm. Makes me wish I had put a garden in this year. But, our soil was a bit on the sad side last year, not much grew. So we are sweetening it up a bit, feeding it compost etc. and hoping for a better year next year. Actually we are having a bit of a drought here, so it is just as well.
I may have to pop over to the farmer's market and see what they have.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Laura, have you tried roasting them? I grew Daikon radishes last summer because my friend served them roasted (in wedges, like parsnip or carrot) and they were really good. I'd think regular radishes would roast well...

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I will try that with my next crop and I've been thinking of planting daikons as well after we move our pigs.

I found a recipe on the Better Homes & Gardens website that was really simple, very pretty (the red skins colored the liquid a lovely shade of pink) and they're VERY tastey. It wasn't a canning recipe though so I don't know if I can bottle them or not. They're just in jars in my fridge for now, looking lovely.

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
The Martha Stewart web site also has some recipes for radishes. There is one I really want to try where you saute them. I really can't imagine warm radishes but what the heck, I just might try it.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  07:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'll have to try that with my next crop of radishes. I just love growing them. It just is such a wonder to watch those big, fat radishes pop up out of the garden from such a little seed. I love growing them. It's almost instant gratification.

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile
I just made this soup a few weeks ago from the amazing radishes we got from our CSA. It was so good that I'm heading out to get some more today!

Scallion and Radish Soup - from "Vegetable Love" by Barbara Kafka
4 cups stock (calls for chicken, I use vegetable)
3 bunches scallions, trimmed, white parts chopped (about 1.5 cups packed), green parts sliced (about 1 cup) and kept separate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1.5 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 breakfast or other early red radishes, very thinly sliced and blanched for 15-20 seconds in boiling water
sprigs of fresh dill (optional)
cucumber slices, preferably young Kirby (optional)
In a medium saucepan, heat the stock to boiling. Stir in the scallion whites and boil for 15 minutes.
Puree the cooked scallions with 1 cup of the stock in a food processor. Return the puree to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir in the cream, lemon juice and salt. Just before serving, stir the scallion greens into the soup. Return to simmer if serving hot. Chill thoroughly if serving cold.
Divide the radish slices among six small bowls and pour in the soup. Garnish with dill and cucumber, if desired.
Serves 6 as a first course or 3 as a main course.

Enjoy!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic radishes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page