Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you give up anything for Lint?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you give up anything for Lint? Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies, I have given up somethig every Lint since I was about 14. And have dont very well doing so. I dont even what I give up on Sunday when you can. This yr I am doing a liquid diet. Not just water...But I can have anything that is liquid. My neighbor is making me soups (she makes wonderful soups). And I can have smoothies and milkshakes. So I am not sure if I will be loosing any weight. But then I just might... Since this yr. Lint lasts a week longer than last yr. What are you who does Lint giving up this year?
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  05:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Actually, rather than give up something - we give away something - we each choose one of our belongings every day of Lent to donate to charity. It has really been a lesson for our children to give of the best that you have - we struggled at first when they wanted to give away their broken toys but they are really much better at it now.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  05:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow, y'all give up something every day? That's amazing, Starletta. Good for you. That's a great idea. That might be something I will do. I usually give up all sweets. I gave up coffee a few years but now I don't even drink it anymore. So I think I may just have to give up one thing every day. That will help me to clean up the house and myself at the same time. Thanks.

So what exactly are the dates this year?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, March 9 this year and concludes on Holy Saturday, April 23. Last year in our church (Lutheran) instead of giving up something we started something positive in the hope of making it a permanent part of our daily lives. I'm still trying to decide what to do. Giving something away sounds like a great idea!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think I should give up caffiene!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6616 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6616 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:29:16 AM  Show Profile
I am Catholic and I remember as a child always giving up candy as that was always my weakness, guess what it still is:-) So, every year for Lent I still give up candy, it is hard to live without it for 40 days but I do. I always manage to lose a few pound as well so I can live with that.

Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Each year the kids & I do give up something for Lent. I like the idea of giving something away as well. Need to think about that.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I like Karin's idea for Lent. I recall a law clerk giving up soda and for 40 days, I heard nothing but how horrible it was to be without soda, and when Lent was over, she immediately got a soda.

Personally, I should give up fish fry's for Lent, but I think that defeats the purpose ;)

I don't have many vices, or things that I think of as sacrifice, but I could stand to give up swearing. Maybe I could make it so that I put money in a jar for charity if I do....hope that doesn't give me incentive to keep swearing for charity!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that's funny Jonni - swearing for charity. I guess as long as they didn't know how you came up with the money.....
My folks always give up dessert, I haven't yet made the plunge. Maybe this year......

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  8:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Star! I absolutely LOVE that idea! I'm going to bring that up at dinner tomorrow night and see what the guys think!

Jonni! You're too funny! I think the swear jar thing is kind of a cool idea though - think how many people could raise some serious money for charity by doing that! And I honestly don't think I could ever give up the fish fry... Although - the ones here in PA are nothing like those back home in New England!!!

I usually give up something different every year, but this year I decided that I'm going to pray about it and see what the Lord guides me to do. I have been leaning toward giving up meat, actually.

But Star - honestly, I love your idea! It's a very loving sacrifice and testimony to your faith, indeed!

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2883 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2883 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Lent passed me by last year, I am ashamed to say. But this year, I will do something...not sure what.
Give up a vise & try to focus on the positive. Nini, I have been contemplating giving up meat too, but I have a freezer full of locally grown meat, & healthwise, it doesn't get any better than that!
& as far as the fish fries....Love them too, but I know the Midwest fry could not hold a candle to one on the east coast....
Ours here are just a glorious melding of everything that makes a rural community great.. With plenty of grease thrown in for good measure
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  05:58:15 AM  Show Profile
Yeah...there's no way I'm giving up a fish fry...I prayed about it :)

The "swear jar" idea came to me while watching Deadwood wherein almost every word is a swear word, and the woman that plays Calamity Jane cusses like a sailor and has been taking care of a little girl on the show...each time she swears, she says, "I owe you a penny." and I thought, now, I could put a jar out and see how much I could collect... don't worry, Amy Grace, I won't tell the charities "how" I came by the money :P!!! Really, it's more that Violet is becoming such a little mocking bird that I need to really watch what I say more than ever. I've turned one of my "standards" into "crabapple" and though I sound like a librarian when I say it, it's better than the alternative :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:28:59 AM  Show Profile
We now follow a friends Lenten tradition of giving of ourselves to others. Instead of giving up a "thing" as a sacrifice, we give something of ourselves or our home. We choose to help others...give our time, or donate items from our home to someone in need. It feels wonderful and fulfilling spiritually.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  8:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deborah! I was always told by my elementary school teachers that for Lent, we are supposed to focus on prayer, almsgiving, and fasting. So this year, I want to do something for all three. I actually just went to my high school's Campus Ministry Council meeting, and we are planning a lot of cool things for Lent. Our theme is Human Trafficking, and we are doing a student auction. The proceeds will go to a Hope House. I would like to do other almsgiving though. I'll probably pick a charity or something. Starletta, I might steal your idea! I think that'd be a mighty pile of items by the end of Lent!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Star...That is a wonderful idea. I will be telling everyone at my church group tomorrow. I will be doing it too.

Megan...You are truly an inspiration and a wonderful role model for our youth. Great things are coming your way dear child. Your love of life and lives is a true Blessing. Your parents should be so proud of you! Human trafficking is a wonderful way to shed your love. Those poor souls!

I decided to put 1 item of food in a box and donate it to our food pantry at the end of lent. We regularly give but this will be a bonus. So many hungry and hurting people in this country. How can we not help them.

Also at our church we are doing a 40 day fast for the year. Pick our own days and do whatever fast we choose but fast and pray. This to remind us of the 40 days our lord did this. My fast is a liquid fast on those days which I will start this month. Who knows, it could be more days as I see how God works in me. Fasts are healthy spiritually and bodily!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile
I've been a catholic my whole life, and yes, you're right, giving up candy was just the do-all-end-all of all sacrifices. But when I got older, I realized that instead of giving up, I try to do something extra. Be pleasant to the grouchy grocery store clerk, or maybe keep your temper a little when you've got a headache and the kids have asked the same thing 35 times in a row. Do something nice for someone. I also do the food drive at church, but right now, food and extra cash can be a little hard to come by. I think that it doesn't always have to be about money and "stuff", just about giving of your real self. I agree with Robin, that's what Lent is all about (to me).
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  11:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lisa... agree. Where in Pa?

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  5:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I'm about 30 miles outside of Philly (my hometown), now I'm a suburban mom! Who would ever think!?!? Not me!
Where's Kunkletown, Darlene?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  9:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, you are way too sweet:) I'm glad I went to CMC yesterday, I'm excited to help plan our auction!
I think this year I will either put something aside to be given away or buy a food item everyday of Lent. That will be my almsgiving. I also want to get to church more often, every week of Lent for me! Almsgiving and prayer, check! For my fast, no school food! It's expensive, and bad for me, too! That's all three themes of Lent taken care of. And the money I save by not eating school food will go to buying food for our food pantry. I love Lent, just because it's like a spiritual cleansing.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lisa...I live in the Poconos. About 40 min from Allentown. How far are you from Allentown?

Megan...Good job on your Lent offerings. I too will be attending more church during the week during Lent.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you give up anything for Lint? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page