KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile
I finished my very first apron! It was much easier than I expected and I think I'd like to make some for gifts. I'd love to hear about aprons that others have made and what patterns you have used. Also, how easy (or not) they were to make!

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  1:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Congratulations! I love your apron! There was an earlier post on aprons - there are a lot of posts about aprons, actually. I made my first one not too long ago and loved it. I used a pattern from Wal-Mart - I'd have to look it up. It had miles and miles of biased tape, but I learned I love sewing from that one experience. Keep it up!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  1:08:13 PM  Show Profile
How cute! I love your fabric!! I use half aprons & hang a towel at my wasit to wipe my hands. I don't use a pattern anymore. I used to use a Simplicity one. (but wore it out)

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  1:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks :) I guess I should have searched back a little further for the aprons post. I checked a few pages, but got a little overwhelmed with how many pages there are in the Stitching and Crafting section, lol!
I was actually thinking I needed to tuck a towel into the pocket or something as I always wipe my hands on my other aprons but I don't want to get anything on my new one ;)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Katrina - welcome!! There are a lot of posts to look through so don't feel like you should have looked harder:) I think everybody here is happy to talk about aprons. I have made a few, there are some new pattern designers that have some cool patterns out - the Emmeline apron from Montessori by hand (although I think she changed the name of her design company) is one of my favorites. Also the books A is for Apron and The Perfect Apron have some cool ideas and patterns in them. I like aprons because even if there are complicated parts to the pattern the project as a whole is manageable. Plus everybody looks good in an apron.
I have family from around the Helena area and my dad's parents both came from around there too - glad to see another Montana girl!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Great job on your first apron! The colors look darling. Love the ruffle. Also check different places on-line. You can get some freebie patterns. I also like to use pillow cases and add different trims,etc. to make aprons. They're cheap at the thrift store so you can make a bunch for gifts for really cheap. I've also used plain kitchen towels, added a designed fabric for pockets and used plain ol' twill tape as the ties. Cheap, easy and again, a great gift for someone when you make them to match their kitchens. There's all sorts of ideas and places to get patterns from. Keep up the great work and let us see more of your creations.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile
hey Katrina,
yep, Amy Grace is right, the "A-is for Apron" book is a good choice, as is "The Apron Book" by EllynAnne Geisel, it has patterns in the back...
and there are tons of free down loads on the inter-net,,,also,remember, Joanns fabric (watch their monthly sales ad flyer) often has Mcalls or Simplicity patterens on sale for 99cents...a perfect time to buy apron or any patterns for that matter.
If you get your hands on a copy of "Apronology" you'll see how fun it is to jazz them up with embelishments!
Your Apron looks adorable...keep on stitchin & have fun!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everybody! I have realized my sewing machine isn't as scary as I thought it was and I've hemmed my scrubs, repaired the waist in my husband's pants, and started to make a bib(need to buy a different type of material to finish it)! I will have to see what I can find online for apron ideas. And maybe my local library can get the books in that you guys mentioned... You never know.
Also, I'm excited to hear about the .99 cent patterns! I'll have to sign up for the flyer's again.
Thanks for all of the nice responses:) What a fun forum!
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Katrina! Great apron. Looks like one that I just finished. Is it a Kwik Sew pattern? It has a very flattering fit. I've made so many aprons I can't seem to keep track of them any more. I've made lots for swaps here online and many more as gifts for my friends who love to cook. They are fun and help to build sewing confidence. I like to take a break from quilting to work on them because they are quick and easy to finish.

Keep sewing, Farmgirl!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, it was a Kwik Sew pattern. I really like the fit as well. I'm going to give this one to my sister-in-law but I want one for myself so I'll have to make another one, lol!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  5:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh and check out the tipnut website for free patterns too - they have some really cool stuff!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  1:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I agree with you - I love TipNut. They have so many helpful ideas and patterns for just about anything you can think of - sewing, knitting, crocheting, cooking, cleaning, etc. It's a wonderful site.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  03:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Katrina!!
What an awesome job you did on your first apron!!! Love the colors you used as well. You asked about patterns, I love to use vintage patterns for my aprons whenever possible. There are so many available online these day. . . love the look of them once they are done!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  06:57:56 AM  Show Profile
My mom just discovered TipNut and shared it with me. She is currently making aprons for all the girls in the extended family using my grandma's house dresses. (My grandma passed away 2 years ago this March). My grandma always wore aprons and we have 2 boxes of Grandma's Traveling Aprons passing through the family, but then my mom came up with the idea of using Grandma's dresses for part of the fabric to make aprons for everyone. She will be surprising the extended family with the gift this coming Christmas. She has 20+ to make, so is trying to stay on task while working full time.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Ann, what a great idea! Could u take pics?

Linda in Scranton, PA Farmgirl #71

The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.
--Hada Bejar
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  10:24:19 AM  Show Profile
katrina-go to apronmemories.com that's the website for the apron gal ellynann-and she has a newsletter in email- wonderful fun!

love your apron! did you do any sewing in school???? i loved home ec!made a cobbler's apron

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile
ann- what an awesome thing to do with gramma's dresses- would love to see pics!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  10:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful job, Katrina!!!
Lots of apron makers here on the connection . . . lots of ideas.

I'll bet that as you make more you'll be making your own patterns and such.
Have fun!!!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page