Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Old photo albums become new digital albums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Old photo albums become new digital albums Next Topic  

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
A project I have been working on this year is digitalizing my grandmother's photo albums. She is going to be 91 this year and was a great recorder of family events, but because she has so many children and so many grandchildren, there is no way we could split up her photos in a way that would be fair to everyone, so we decided to digitalize them. I take one album at a time, take digital photos of the photos in the album, record the who what where and when under each photo, and then burn a disc of that album for each of her children (and then they make copies for their children, etc). After this is done, I disassemble the photo albums (they can not be saved because they have a bad smell and no one has room -- there 114 of them!) and divide the photos that are salvageable into envelopes to be mailed to family. It has been a great way to learn more about my family, especially from my grandmother's point of view and for my cousins, aunts, and uncles and I to remember all the fun times we had together. My grandmother is happy to know that her memories are being preserved and the photos that noone wants, of people we don't recognize, or of landscape, pottery, etc I use to make cards. It has been an overwhelming project but a very frugal way to preserve history and give each other presents. We only have one rule : no naked baby pictures on facebook! :)

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  10:27:28 AM  Show Profile
Nice project - my brother is dong something like this for our family. Its so nice to have names with those faces that we don't recognize, then it means something instead of just being a stranger.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1504 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1504 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I have boxes and boxes of unmounted photos that I'm sorting and labeling. Someday I'll be ready to do something with them. Digitizing them is a great idea and will allow us to share them with everyone rather than fighting over the originals. I've recently gotten in contact with relatives in MN and Sweden that we didn't know existed and it has been fun to trade old photos. Technology has come along way in the past few years.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile
It has been a great way to communicate over email and facebook, too. That might be helpful with your relatives in Sweden.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1504 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1504 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  7:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we are using Facebook to share our photos. It is amazing!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Old photo albums become new digital albums Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page