Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Bladder Cancer Next Topic  

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if any of you ladies have had bladder cancer. I am looking for some personal information on exactly what stage you were at and how you are doing now. Was your bladder removed? If so, what option were you given and how is it working out. Were other organs removed?
My 84 year old mother in law was just digonosed and we are now looking into what the next step will be. She is very much a "its in Gods hands" type and I am afraid she will not seek further medical advise.
So if anyone is willing to tell their story, I would truly like to here.
take care

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  5:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi there from Pa! My hubby was disagnosed with stage4 bladder cancer in June 2009. We went first to a local cancer center where we met with a dr. and he discussed my husband's case with him. He said he probably help my husband so we had another appt. scdeduled so we could do testing and start on a treatment plan.I really didn't care for this dr. and either did my hubby. A couple of days later friends and neighbors heard about my hubby and told us about a great Cancer center-Hillman Cancer Center in Pittsburgh. We are about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. Well, we met with a dr at hillman and there they told us it was stage 4,which the first dr. didn't tell us. the Dr. told us he couldn't promise us anything , but they would try. I was just about nuts, my hubby was so very sick, I had to dress and bath him myself and he couldn't even walk without a walker. My daughter was getting married in 4 weeks , we had been planning the wedding for 1 year. Well after 1 chemo treatment, I couldn't believe the difference in my hubby. He never got sick,or lost his hair. At the treatment center they advocated eating small meals throughout the day instead of 3 meals. My hubby ate aspergas,alot of protein shakes, fruit, water, and alot of tips they gave us in a training session. Stay away from the barn and our cats kitty litter, and no garden while he was in chemo treatment,because his immune system was so down. The Dr.my hubby saw and still is his dr. is Dr. Lenny Appleman of Hillman Cancer Center, Pittsburgh. We see people flying in from all over the country to be treated at this great center. Well, last spring the cancer came back and my hubby had to have his bladder out and they made him a new one out of his intestine. It's all internal and he is doing well. Please I would like to help your mother-in-law if there is anything I can do. My hubby is 66 and has always been a hard worker, so now he is doing very well! Alanna from Pa
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  5:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Alanna,
Your husband was stage 4? Wow. I am very sorry to here of this. It had to have been a total shock. Just when you think things are going to be ok.
Email me if you don't want to answer these additional questions on the forum.
When he had his bladder removed, did they remove other organs too? The reconstructed bladder, how does he urinate? You state its all internal. Is there a catheter or tube and bag at all? How long would you say it took for him to be back on his feet? Not doing cartwheels, just doing some normal things like walking and going out shopping or to church?
I was just told that MIL and my SIL are seeking a second opinion. The first Dr wanted to remove the bladder right away and give here a drain and bag. Now she is 84 so I am thinking reconstruction would be too invasive. But I don't really know. I also don't know what chemo would do to her. Your husband was lucky not to get sick. But I know some people have a real hard time of it.
I am going to look up Dr. Appleman and give the information to them. But I am sure Mom will not go that far. Honestly, the 3 mile drive to Church is her limit these days. She appears to be a very stong and health lady. Still drives. She will rake the leaves in the fall and scrap some of the snow in the winter. She is just not to keen on change. After her husband died 6 years ago, she had to learn to do thinks herself. She hates to ask for help. She is very very frugal. She will not waste a cent if she feels it is not needed. But maybe if we call the center, they might recommend a doctor closer to home.
Thank you for replying. Any little bit of information I get is very helpful.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:58:19 PM  Show Profile
My MIL will be going in on 2/16 to just have the tumor removed. I hope. They she will have some kind of radiation or kemo. My SIL is handling everything. My husband is not all too happy. She is not sharing information quickly enough with him. It took 4 days for her to tell him which hospital the operation would take place in. He would rather I was more involved. But, we have only been married a short time. And my SIL at one time was a nurse or something. And Mom believes she knows more. My fear is that SIL will push her opinions and aggravated the real nurses and doctors.
A cup of green tea and a hand full of supplements isn’t always the answer.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile
hi kathy so sorry my prayers are with you and your family
i emailed you something someone just sent me today
it can't hurt ..take care of yourself.
blessings and hugs deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,
My personal story with cancer through lung, blood and the last one small intestine was all treated and caught early by my homeopathic physician.

She can test and see what kind of cancer I had and then uses herbs from the orient that corresponds with the type of cancer. It took me two months to get rid of each kind.

After the last one, I was loosing weight but finally now I'm starting to gain a little. Which, for me is a major accomplishment. I would never survive the surgery or radiation or chemo. My liver is damaged from Lyme disease. So, my only choices these days is the alternative treatment route. And, it has paid off for me every time.

After your MIL has all the other done. Look into finding her a good homeopathic in your area that uses the computron method of testing. They are th best. Not the ones that have you put your hand on a screen that scans your body, they are not accurate.

Prayers and hugs to you and your family.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Bladder Cancer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: