Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fiber Artist Talk Shop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fiber Artist Talk Shop Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  04:15:48 AM  Show Profile
I know that there are many gals on MJ's that loves to craft with fibers of all kinds in many different forms and others that would like to learn a new fiber craft. What is your favorite fiber and what do you make with it? Do you have a favorite place to play with your fiber...knitting in your rocker to out in the barn still on the goat or sheep? Do you start waiting on your next new spinning, weaving, knitting, sewing or rug hooking magazine to arrive in your mail box?

I enjoy talking and learning from others that create with some form of fiber. Just to mention a few: spinning, knitting, weaving, rug hooking, sewing, felting, dyeing fibers. Do you attend fiber shows or have a favorite yarn shop that you haunt? Would you like to learn a new fiber craft? Let's share.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita. I have been toying with the idea of getting into felting. I read about making felt hats by layering the felt over a 5 qt. bucket, covering the whole thing with pantyhose and then rubbing it with soap and/or using a vibrating sander (without sandpaper of course)to mat the fibers. I have a lot of wool from my sheep to play with. I haven't taken the plunge yet but have you done anything like that? I know you do felted hats - do you knit them and then felt them? I wanted to eliminate the time to knit and go straight to the felt part. I love to make hats but haven't taken the plunge into felting. I love to knit and to spin as well. Of course right now I am working with my wood veneer project which is very time consuming too. Would love to know more about the felting process.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I have never tried that method, I have always knitted my felted hats and then felted. I can knit one in a couple of evenings using double strands of wool yarn and a size 11 knitting needle and it takes no time to felt. I have actually seen the process that you are going to try. A cowboy hat maker used a sander type tool and a special mold to lay the felt on. Go for it and give it a try...I do remember he trimmed the hat's brim with a knife and then felted some more. He also used a steamer to help shape the hat. I bet there is gals on this site that has did this. How is your veneer box coming?
My boxes of roving and yarn was delivered today from the processor. I immediately had to feel and sniff it, then I started soaking a few skeins to dye. I had run out of brown and rust yarn for weaving so that was in the first dye batch. I do need to dye some blue so I can knit another pair of socks. I wear my handknit wool socks all winter to keep my feet from freezing. My blue pair is 3 years old and getting pretty thin.

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:15:35 PM  Show Profile
You got your wool!!! Yay!!!!

I think my favorite part of "playing" with fiber is combing. It is very relaxing, and I see lots of progress very quickly. Mom just upgraded me from a dog comb to a real, honest to goodness, flick comb, and suddenly I don't have any new stab wounds in my index finger and thumb.

I am considering knitting my first pair of socks. I am deathly afraid that I will get one done and be so totally bored and ready to move on that I won't knit the second one. I know you are supposed to be able to knit two at a time, but that means to me that it will just go twice as slow. I need to finish this lap afghan that is on the needles right now. I am trying not to start new projects before I complete the current one.

By the way- I WON SOMETHING!!! I entered a contest and won a beaded shawl kit and the pattern won't be published for a little while yet! That may very well wind up being my next fiber project.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Lori knitting socks is great for in front of the TV or at a game or in a waiting room. I love knitting socks. I have done some really complex lacy ones or some with great color work which keeps you from getting bored. How exciting to win the shawl kit. Would love to see a picture of it. Is it a lace pattern? I love knitting lace.

Glad to hear you finally got your wool, Sarita. It sure took a long time. Was it worth the wait? I have considered sending some of mine out to be done but so many say they can't handle the long Shetland fibers. One of my friends sent out some Shetland only to have it come back full of nibs and a mess. I use Viking combs to process as there is so much VM even after picking and washing. It seems to take out most of it but it is hard on my hands.

My box is coming along but it's going really slow since I chose a complex design so there are lots of curved pieces and tiny pieces. A lot more difficult than the designs that I put on the hat boxes.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Lori, whipeee...congratulations! I too love to knit socks, I knit whatile Danny drives. I know what you mean about trying to finish one project before starting another but I keep a couple going. I always keep a knitting project that does not require much mental and another more complex to keep my interest.

Sheri, the yarn was worth the wait...it is very expensive to have done but I can't spin enough fast enough to keep the loom and the knitting going. The roving is just beautiful. I plan to send out another shipment of washed wool and sell my surplus. This processor does do shetland, that is how they got into the business, they raise shetland sheep.

Ladies, I just can't get the hang of the combs...makes me feel like I have 5 thumbs and my hands hurt so bad. But I love combed top to spin.

I did some dyeing tonight, took picture and put on the blog.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  9:27:08 PM  Show Profile
I am just getting into this. I had a merino sheep and I have nigora goats. I sheared them both last year and am still cleaning the wool. I have some of it combed so far. I am looking to spin in when I get enough. so any help will be appeciated. combing it does take time and my arms get so tired so I am kinda slow getting this part done...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  05:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheri, thought I might add my two cents to your felting question. Using the belt sanding is a great felting technique but I would start your felting process with the sander as flat felt first. Once the fibers are well on their way to becoming felt then place it over your mold and finish the shaping project. There are great hat crown molds out there (Yes, I do carry them - this is not a plug just info) and you get a much better result. The problem with using the belt sander on the bucket is it is too easy to tear the fibers apart when coming to the crown. A better mold is a bowl. So just try on your mixing bowls till you find one that fits your head - do this when everyone is out of the house or they will think your MAD as a HATTER!!

Have fun.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita - If I might suggest the best way to save your hands with combs is to get yourself a blending hackle - which is a long length comb that you clamp to a work surface. You then load the blending hackle and use just one comb to go back and forth with. This saves on your hands and shoulders but I think you also get a better result. There are a couple of great books out there and a video on using combs that you might benefit from - combs produce a great spinning product and well worth the effort.

I will be over to your blog to see the dyeing - I am sure it will be lovely...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  06:11:50 AM  Show Profile
oh sarita, I can only dream of having such beautiful yarns from my animals. The colors are beautiful and such great yarns to start with... WOW, what kind of sheep are they again??

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace, I will have to do some research. Grace are your molds for hats wooden or fiberglass?

Beverley, I have shetlands, shetland and Bluefaced Leicester crosses, some BFLs, polypay, Oxfords and oxford and BFL crosses. I have a flock of over 40 now. I especially love the Oxford and BFL wool and am leaning more to that in my breeding line. I have several pictures of my sheep on my blog in the older post.
I am going to do a little research on the nigora goats, what is the fiber like?
Lori is going to have several different types of fiber this Spring when she shears. I bet you can not wait!

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:34:02 AM  Show Profile
I love spinning fiber that I have combed, but you ladies hit it right on the money - it hurts to comb! Grace - I suppose now that I must tell Stanley that I need a hackle. Sigh. I guess I better cook a really nice supper tonight! hehehehehehehe

Okay - I am about to throw this new carder out the window. Nothing will stick to the big drum, it is all wrapping around the licker. I am having to stand there and crank a 1/4 of a turn, then use a small knitting needle to lift every bit of the fiber off the small drum and catch it on the large one. My other carder does this some, but EVERYTHING? Mom said to load the small drum with "junk" fiber, like a mis-dye or something, and it prevent as much of my good stuff from sticking. But I don't want stray weird colors in my creamy white Border Leicester. What I am putting on the carder has been flick combed and doesn't have much, if any, short stuff in it. The staple is 4-6 inches.
Any ideas?

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Lori here is what I do is skip the licker altogether - if you have flicked up the locks then just hold it close to your larger drum and let that drum catch the fibers. What type of carder is it?

I agree you do not want stray fibers and such in your nice batt. I have also heard some ladyes take a cryers sheet and place it on the licker so it takes the place of fiber and so then they can proceed as normal.

One way also you can get around the hand pain is clamp the other comb to a counter or table and use only one to move back and forth - Stanley will think you so clever and saving him money.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  01:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I had not thought about using a dryer sheet on the drum carder. Lori, are you having problems with certain types of wool? I know that if I would just bite the bullet and make myself do more combing that I would adjust and maybe even like it.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  1:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I use the method of feeding on to the larger drum when doing longer fiber too and it saves me lots of grief.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Sarita - sorry for the delay on the hat forms. They are a compost and solid all the way thru. The wood ones are wonderful but very expensive and the ones that are molded plastic do not hold up very well. There are several sights who sell a wide variety of them if you need names.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  06:27:39 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 hat molds that are made from the black hard plastic, I always did the knit and wash to felt and then let dry on the mold. I put the hat on the mold and then used a hand held steamer to shape my hats.

I have been dyeing yarn that I received from the processor and having a good time...I love color. I have to ask myself, what would I make with this color? Is it too bright? Would it look rich and wonderful knitted into gloves, sweater, hat, etc?
I take my colored pencils and do rough sketches...I mean very rough sketches of an item and then color the item the color that I am thinking of dyeing to see if I will like it.
Sometimes I just mix up the dye without a recipe but if I know I will be wanting to dye more, I am very specific about the amounts of everything and write it all down.
How do you decide what colors to dye fiber?

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  08:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I just went to your website. Your yarn looks so soft and beautiful!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Judith, I do love color..and a big box of yarn can really distract me.
Judith, do you have sheep or goats or any other fiber animals? Do you knit, weave, etc?

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile
I just finished a roving that I sure had a time with. I washed a white BL fleece, and the tips, of course, would not come white. They were stained a golden tan color, I figured once it was blended together, it would just make it cream, which it did, and it was pretty. Anyway. After I had all the combed locks carded into rovings, I decided to add some Tussah silk. I guess I couldn't leave well enough alone. I like to have never got it blended in, and it seemed like the more I worked with it, the messier it got. I finally wound up with a nice finished product. I had planned to keep it myself and spin it, but after I had spent all day yesterday carding(this after two other days spent washing and combing) to only wind up with a finished 5 ounces, I didn't even want it so I put it in my etsy shop. Kinda ruined it for me.

Anybody else ever work with something until you are sick of it an there is no joy left?

Also, do you think bamboo can be spun all by itself? I have some I bought at a fiber show that I would love to spin a single out of, and ply with a single spun wool, but I don't know if it is too slick to spin alone.

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Feb 17 2011 08:22:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, in my teens and twenties I learned to crochet a bit of lace, scarves, afghans, etc. (nothing fancy). In my twenties I started to weave just on a frame loom. I still have 2 pillows from those days. Even used a friend's dog's hair (samoyed) I have a drop spindle, but used it only once, and hope to get back to that. I embroider, do a little hand sewing. But, I fall in love all over again with soft yarns and the beginnings of textiles. Now I'm in my 60's..eyes not so good..want to work with yarn more.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Also, I do not have fiber animals. Thought at one time about angora rabbits. Had to choose between rabbits and husband. Tough choice.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  10:58:49 AM  Show Profile
Lori I feel your pain - I have had that happen that I worked and worked on a line of batts and by the time I was done I was so happy to see it leave. I did have a llama girl who I never used - sold it right after shearing because her and I did not like each other and every time I had my hands on it I got horribly anger. Reason why was she killed another llama mom's baby for no reason other then being a witch... She was sold shortly after that to a lady who only had her and no others to worry about.

As for the Bamboo - I have spun it by itself and made incredible yarn. I found you have to keep your hands a bit cool otherwise the warmth seems to drag on the fibers and you might get uneven spinning.
Good Luck

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  2:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace! I will probably start on it tonight!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Sarita, I know you have said you have a picker. What is its purpose? I have seen fiber that has been through a picker, clouds, I think it is called. What do you do with it then? Run it through a carder? Wouldn't that make a lot of neps since the fibers are all jumbled?

I have been washing Merino that mom gave me today. This is the first time I have worked with this fiber. It is really nice!

Grace - I didn't get to the bamboo yet. It has moved from the tote in the craft room to the spinning basket, though!

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Feb 28 2011 2:36:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  07:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Lori - glad to hear that it moved sometimes mine take months to get from one spot to the next...

I found that neps are when the operator pushes too much through and if the fiber has breaks in it. I personally love to just spin from the clouds and if you are felting it is all I do to get the fibers ready to lay out before wetting. For a lot of people they then run the clouds thru the carder to make batts or to then pull from the carder to make rovings.

I will be interested to read what others feel about their pickers. I admit I do not use it as much as I thought I would be that is also because over the years I have designed other ways to get fiber to certain points of production.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fiber Artist Talk Shop Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page