Page: of 10

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  12:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I'm breathless. Today marks anniversary of sorts, for a very hard time in our family. In the last 365 days, God has closed doors, opened windows, knocked down walls, lit paths, sent a personal intament message through an obedient woman, we had never met. He has saved me, my husband, deepened our understanding, all but knocked me in the head with His plan for me and my family. This has been a broken and confusing year for me. I want to be in Gods will. I begged for guidance, direction, wisdom...when He repeatedly gave it to me, it went unseen. I continued to ask, plea for His voice. All the while, the answers, and His working hand were continually right in front of me.
For years I walked away from God. For years, I turned a deaf ear to our heavenly Father. When I woke one day to a nightmare, and called out, how thankful God didn't turn the same deaf ear to me! Every prayer over the last year has been answered. Things may not be exactly what I had in mind, but as I'm one picture in the entire work of art our God is painting, He knows much better than I what I need.
The core of this study, Listening for Gods voice, humbled me, knocked me flat. Here, on mjf, a place I go to chat and play, I'm reminded God has always held up way more than His end of the deal. He Answers. He works. He listens. He directs. It's not my job, or my right, to only listen when I like what He says. I am to get up, go, forgive like He forgives. I am to give thanks for the countless times He picked me up, carried me, directed me, and lined things up perfectly not only for His will, but in direct answer to each and every prayer I whispered. I wasn't looking. I wasn't listening. Throughout ny hurt, and struggles, I begged for my next step. I begged for my life back. He answered everyday. I didn't see. He put, everyday, an opportunity or situation in front of us, that brought us closer to Him, His will...and I'm still begging. I didn't listen, or see. I couldn't understand why He wasn't talking to me!! Where was he??

Something Nini said, about the olive oil in the lamps being pressed and not crushed. That is a parallel I've never before heard. Everyone participating in this thread is discussing listening to God. Like Eli, I let hurt pride and heart, family problems, and embarrassment dim my eyes. I want to see with a smokeless bright flame. I want to be obedient. I want to walk where He wants me to walk. I want to be a child, who DOES recognise Gods voice!! Thank you for this study. Thank you for each individual insight and post. I'm going to go back, after I finish this post, and read these chapters again. There was something like over 200 years in the Old Testament where God was quiet. He didn't speak. We have so much more now, not only the written Word, but God speaks to us, listens to us, and is active for us EVERYDAY. I don't ever want God to be quiet in my life. If I want to hear, I have to listen. I needed these words so very much, especially today, and today, I stumble across this thread. It's a God thing!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  1:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Annette! As I read your words, I kept thinking how much you are truly a woman after my own heart! I, too, fell and walked away. I too, "woke up" in a mess. I, too, turned my heart back toward God and He ran to me with open arms. I clung to his neck, I pressed my ear to his heart, I found refuge under the shadow of His wing. Our Father made everything right. He is so wonderful, so great, so mighty, so much more than words can ever express! I thank Him every day that He didn't give up on me. And He IS faithful - you are absolutely right! I am always amazed in the ways He answers my prayers!

Luke 7:44-47: "Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

We have been forgiven much, so how great is our love for Him! How great our thankfulness!!! How great our JOY!!! I celebrate Him with you, sister! :)

Just in case you haven't had opportunity to visit the Christian Farmgirl forum:

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46137&whichpage=1

There are some really great insights over there, too!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  2:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Nini. There were tears while I read your post. What you said like a big hug through a forum! So (((hugs))) right back to you! Thanks for the link too! I've posted a few prayer requests on hugs...prayer round up. Read that one everyday, to pray with our sisters here on mjf.

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Annette, I am glad that you have found us! I am right now trying to rejuvanate my spritual life, and this forum helps me to do that so much. Nini and Claudia and all of the other women here have helped me so much! I'm so glad to have you here to share in our fellowship.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  5:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Annette I've not posted for awhile, so was going back over all the post. Sweetie when I read your post, my heart was full of love. It's always a blessing when we hear others want the guidence of God in their life. I like many of you had fallen away from God, and after many years of not getting anywhere, Let me put it, it wasn't always Gods ways, I was at a church group weekend for all the ladies of the church. And I felt he was standing right there in front of me, with his arms open and saying "You need me and I'm here for you". The excitement in your heart and the changes in your life, when living for him, Is WONDERFUL! We now realize that there will be hard times, but we are not alone. And he will guide us in the right direction. I love this sight and the others such as favorite scriptures. To share the Lord with MJF friends is a huge blessing. Hugs to all, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies for the warm hellos and remarks.
:)

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile
It's been a few days since I posted. It seems life gets in our way. ;0). I have several thoughts that have been coming since I last posted. Annette, the following verse is one that has spoken to my heart. Through Isaiah, God says He lives with the contrite of heart. "Contrite" means "crushed" as what rock was done on the Apian Way road. Pulverized. God wants us to reply to Him..to Whom else would I go? It seems that you are there. It is like God likens himself to the Potter and we..the clay. If He isn't satisfied with its beauty or for its use, He smashes it down again to make it anew. We often times rise up on the inside, but if we quickly realize that it is ourselves that we are placing back on the throne, we get off and allow the Lord again to be in charge of our life. Some of us (ME) are very hard headed. I just don't want to be hard hearted. The scripture and then a comment on the other side.

Isa.57:15 For this is what the high and exalted One says—
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

Several years ago, I had I suppose "a vision." Don't get weirded out. I was in a worship meeting and I guess as I sang, my mind was wandering to a wheat field not far from our home. It was blowing in the breeze, golden rust..ready for harvest. In an instance, I had this impression, I believe from God, that we Christians were the wheat...the Church..was the wheat. We were to be threshed, the chaff removed from the kernals, and then ground into bread...and given by God to those hungry for the Life of Christ. I believe He is doing that now. A lot of us are going through trials we thought we never would. We are being crushed (contrite), and the kernals (the good holy part of us) is being separated from the things that don't matter in the world. When those kernals are ground (a finer crushing) we along with our brothers and sisters are made into the bread (fashioned along with Him...the Bread of Life) to feed the hungrey who desparately need Jesus, the Word. He uses us, to call to those who don't know Him. That is why it was so tragic that Eli and his sons failed. They did not feed the hungry..only themselves.

OK...off my soapbox.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Now THAT was AWESOME, Claudia! I do believe you had a vision, my friend! That was just absolutely AWESOME!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Claudia,
You have no need for a soapbox, but how about a pulpit?! Praise God for visions, dreams, and every other way He teaches, directs, and encourages us!!

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Annette. May we all be proper mouth pieces of the Lord.

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  04:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Claudia thank you for your words. I too believe you were shown a vision from God. You girls can put you heart into words that helps so greatly for those of us that have the feeling yet don't know how to put it in to words. God is working within your words to help us to understand more clearly where we are in our journey with God. Thank you! Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I love reading your posts! You are so good with words and analogies. Thank you for being involved on the forum!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  3:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Really, thank you ladies, for the kind words, but let us give the praise to God. Remember the scriptural passages in Romans 12, where we are all members of one body with many functions. Being a nurse, I always loved the study of our bodies, because we take for granted how well they work until they don't function well. I may have a "writing" mouth, but there are those of you, who are the skin..protecting us all from exterior onslaughts, or a nose, not only to breathe in the sweet breath of the Holy Spirit, but maybe to "sniff" out a problem on the horizon. Let us all recognize each other as important, with Christ as our Head, and give us all a shout-out because what Jesus is doing in us!

NOW, sweet Megan, do you think we need to add anymore to the young Samuel and Eli, or can we go on to read 1 Sam. 16? I'm anxious to dig into that!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  5:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Claudia - you are just so awesome! I love your heart! You always make me smile! I'm so glad you and all of the girls are my sisters in Christ! Isn't it just awesom when God brings His kids together!? :)

Yes - I'm ready to go with 1 Samuel 16, too!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi fellow Bible scholars! I read the latest passage, and I have a few thoughts about it.
First, I think someone said this earlier, but this is really Jesus' lineage! Through these readings, we can learn a lot about Jesus' ancestors, and that's one thing I enjoy about this study.
Second, one of the verses in this reading struck me. When the Lord tells Samuel that even the best looking son may not be suitable, that the Lord sees what is in the heart, I think that can resonate today. We all look up to celebrities and are always concerned about what people think of us. While yes, we need to look presentable for everyday life, it should not consume our being. God sees us for what's in our heart and soul, not what brand is on our jean tag. I think if more young people took that to heart, we would have a much better society.
Third, I think this reading reinforces that we have to let God take control of our lives. David had the spirit of God within him, and he became a great man. If we let God take over and let His spirit live within us, we can become great people as well.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Megan, I really agree with you about judging exteriors of people's appearance, but God judges the heart. There are several thoughts I have now, but that might evolve as I read your comments.
1. In previous chapters, God had wanted to be the ruler and Lord of His people, but the people whined and wanted a king. Finally God gave them Saul who was taller than most, handsome and powerful. The problem was that Saul was never meant to rule, but God gave them what they asked (prayed) for. So....we should be careful for what we pray. It is always good to seek God and pray that it is God's will that wins out.
2. When God told Samuel that He was going to remove His favor from Saul, & for Samuel to go tell Jesse that one of his own would be king, Samuel was afraid of Saul. It reminded me that even if we are powerfully used by God and speak God's words to others, listen & hear waht God tells us, we can be completely undone if confronted by a situation that may cause us pain or worry. Samuel was human as are we. We just have to realize that God will protect us if we are to do His will. Samuel had clay feet as we.
3. I found it interesting that Saul listened to those around him when the Spirit of God left him. All the way to the end of the chapter, the spirit that took over was "the evil spirit from God." Now isn't that crazy? If God's Spirit leaves us, it says that evil moves into the empty house. We need to continue to ask that the Holy Spirit inhabit us, guide us, comfort us and teach us.
Think I will continue to think on this chapter. There is usually so much to learn from God if we only pray and think about what we have read.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, I too have not posted here in awhile. I am visiting with family and taing care of some legal business. Annette, your post touched my heart and uplifted me. I too, have spent a lot of time walking away and 'fighting' God. Why do we do this to ourselves? It is far moe exhausting than trying to rest in His will for certain!

I am trying to get back and get strong in the Lord. Trying to learn to lean on Him and trust Him in all areas. It is so tough when we so often make poor choices that put up a stumbling block, in our minds, between ourselves and God .

Brenda (classygram)and I have been doing the Beth Moore study on 'Get Out of that Pit'. Ithas helped me a great deal, even tho, I still struggle lately as the daily trials come.

Ladies, this is off our bible study we are doing. But I have a question. I read the daily bible in a year bibe. The old testament part is in Deuteronomy and I AM struggling. I get the old Jewish laws and that Jesus came and we are not under the law anymore. However, clearly churches and more conservative groups hold onto many of what is in there!!! So, how can that be? How can we pick and choose some of these laws nd ignore the rest?
I am trying to cross ref with the new testament and getting stuck. Any thoughts any of you have would be a blessing.

I will try to get caught up with our study here. You all are a blessing!

Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  5:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda, what chapters or laws are you having difficulty with? Studying any part of the Bible is good for all of us regardless of our prior format. We can always get back to that. In general, Jesus said He came Not to abolish the law, but fulfill it. (Matt. 5: 17). It is the fact that since we have accepted Jesus, we don't HAVE to obey the law, bet we WANT to, because this shows God how much we love Him. Now, I will be interested in what you are having difficulty with. (Please pardon me ending my sentences with a proposition.

Also, congratulations in your reading through the Bible. It takes discipline and persistence.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  6:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I accepted Christ Many years ago, and sadly have never read thru the Bible totally. I am reading Deut. 11. It is harsh! At least the beginning. What is the original word for the 'fulfill' that Jesus used?

We are studying in church to avoid the 'Pharissee' type legalism which Jesus wanted to abolish.

I just get stuck often within the old testament. I avoided a lot of it for many years. But I know the Lord wants me to understand and not allow the enemy to keep me stuck!

Thank you!
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  10:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Linda - I completely understand how hard it can be to know Christ and then read some of the words of the Old Testament and feel heavily weighed. But the thing about the Old Testament is that it gave us a foreshadowing of the One to come - it leads us to Him. Please bear with me, because the thoughts are coming faster than I can type. I'm going to try to explain, and hopefully it will help you not feel quite so badly about the things that are upsetting you. It won't be a perfect explanation, but I honestly hope it helps put your mind at ease and give you a little more understanding, okay?

In the Old Testament, we see God's laws as harsh, perhaps; but they are interpreted by man's understanding. Only Christ could clarify them for us - for He was God incarnate! In the Old Testament, we see many "types" of Christ - we see foreshadows of He Who was yet to come, and all the signs that would lead us to finding Him. When Christ came, there was no more need for human attempt at discernment or understanding because He fulfilled - completed, perfected - the law. We saw it come alive in Him! That is why we refer to Him as the Living Word. "And the Word became flesh." (John 1:14) And then He gave us His Holy Spirit to help and comfort us. We aren't "technically" under the law in that now it is now our JOY to obey it, because we have seen the fulfillment of it - Christ! - and we have the hope of salvation in Him! Through Him, we are free from condemnation under the law - we are free indeed! We are not perfect, but through Him we are made perfect. And it's important to remember that that man's ways are not God's ways. Man himself did make a lot of mistakes in attempting to discern and follow the law, you know? God saw we were making those mistakes, so He came so we would KNOW Him, His Love for us, and His Will! What an AWESOME Father we have! What a MIGHTY God we serve!

Another way of looking at the expression "under the law" could also be that although still subject to it, we are no longer crushed by it because of His love and salvation. He forgives us and gives us "70 times 7" chances to start anew in Him. When we fall, HE picks us up, cleans us off, sets us on our feet again and puts us on the right path, lit by His Holy Spirit. Under the Old Testament, we had the Word, but we didn't "know" the Word! He hadn't come yet, so we/they were "under" the law, so to speak. The "righteous" who died went to Abraham's bosom to await the their salvation through the Messiah. That's why Christ "descended into hell" after His death on the cross - to announce to the just the tidings of their redemption! We, however, "know" Him in our lifetime; and "blessed are <we> who have not seen and yet have believed!" (John 20:29) We are now covered by Him and His mercy, not by the eternal condemnation that the evil one would have us believe we are under. In the Old Testament, He gave us the law to protect us, to keep us safely under the shadow of His wing, to keep us set apart and holy, to be a sign for the world - a beacon on a hill, lighting the darkness. But try as we did, we couldn't fully understand until He came. The Law is condemnation only to unbelievers or unrepentant sinners, or to those who simply just don't believe God will do what He says He will do: forgive. And the evil one wants us to believe his accusations so that we believe we are condemned, rather than live in the freedom of His truth as beloved children of God! As you study the New Testament more and more, you'll see that it explains the Old Testament, where the Old Testament leads us to the Truth of the New Testament! :)

There is SO much wisdom in the Old Testament; it is, after all, the Word of God, just as much as is the New Testament. We can't just throw it all away. But if life brings us to places where we falter - no matter how deeply we fall, no matter how bleak and dark the abyss seems - we have our Christ who hears our please, reaches down to lift us up into His light and set us aright to begin anew. Always remember "He that is in you is greater than he who is in the world." (I John 4:4) He has overcome the lies of the devil. Evil is a liar and wants us to believe we must meet the law to the letter in order to be saved or "make it" to Heaven. That's the "legalism" that binds us. And the greatest sin - the unforgivable sin -is to not believe what God says He can or will do what He says He can and will do - that's mercy, forgiveness, love and salvation in Christ. If we don't believe Him, we can't receive Him - does that make sense? The truth is, we should always keep trying to follow the laws which He set forth for our benefit, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us; but if we falter or if we simply aren't able to do it because of our human frailty, it's only a matter of turning to Jesus and asking for His help and forgiveness - it's so simple and uncomplicated that our complicated, noise-filled human minds have difficulty believing it, but it's the truth. He LOVES us and wants us to be in communion with Him - always. When we reach up like little children, seeking His face, longing for His love, wanting to fully realize His love for us, He is delighted. And if we fall - if we sin - we just ask Him to forgive, and He does. He'll pick us up, clean us off and help us try again. Nobody is perfect, Linda - we can't be; we are creatures, not the Creator. Our lives should reflect Him as much as possible, but we can never be perfect. Only through Christ. So we just try to do the best we can, ask Jesus for His guidance and He'll make sure His Holy Spirit guides us.

I know, I'm sorry - another book! I just hope my words help you to understand and free you from some of the confusion. Pray, Linda, and He will show you. I'll be praying, too!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 31 2011 10:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about this again last night and really feel I should add this:

The law, and living it, now comes naturally to us because His Holy Spirit now lives in us. Before Christ's coming, we wounded because of original sin. We weren't made that way - originally Adam and Eve "knew" God face-to-face, walking freely and without fear in God's presence - just like little children who are loved by and who love their Father! Sin changed all of that. Suddenly they were afraid, "seeing" things differently (skewed), and hiding themselves from God - rememeber? Evil has a way of twisting the truth and moving us to fear our beloved Father. It's only through His revelation of Himself to us that we can gain glimpses of Him and His truths. But back in Old Testament times, the way we "saw" Him was extremely skewed and wrought with fear; our frail, faulty human minds "saw" His Word in an altered light; and our own thoughts and words became condemnation to us. When Jesus came, everything changed, and there was renewal for mankind. We could now "know" God, fear was broken, our minds and hearts could be restored through Christ and we would no longer be under the weight of condemnation. Evil and its lies no longer have power over us because Christ has overcome. When we know Him, we receive the gift of His Holy Spirit. Through the Holy Spirit, if we truly seek God, we now see through the lies of evil, we can overcome it, and live freeling in the Love of God as was always intended. "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1) I don't want to type out the whole Scripture, but if you go back and read Romans 8, or, rather, the entire book of Romans, for that matter, Paul explains this so much more eloquently than I do. :)

I honestly hope this helps! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 01 2011 07:52:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Nini and Claudia, I totally love the things you have shared and could not agree more. I ralized this am in talking to Brenda that I posted the wrong scriptures here. I am so sorry!!!It is Deut 23:1 and 2! Plus just a lot of Deut and Levit in total. I guess my questions are more for the'church' and how, as man does, pick and choose what we will follow and take as 'rules' o follow in the church today, both as part of church rules and politically, I guess. Yet we choose to ignore what we want to. Thats where I get stuck, I guess. As I m writing this I realize I am being silly and making this way too hard! I just get confused with the harsness of God the Father, even tho I know that the trinity is real. I want to learn and understand the scrptures, the history more and more. So hae a hunger to learn an grow in my faith. So please bear with me Thank you all so much for your patience wih me!! Love you farmgirls!

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Linda, and ladies! It is hard to add much to what Nini has said, but there are a few questions you had and I will try to give only MY view point. You asked the origin of "fulfill." In my Strong's Concordance, and since the New Testment was written in Greek...Old in Hebrew... "fulfill" comes from "pleres" (play'race)covered over, fill, to cram (e.g. a net), to level up (e.g. a hole),complete (a task). I like going back to the root words, because meanings have changed through time. Nini conveyed this, but I will try to explain it as I understand it. In the Old Testament, it was a different mind set. Remember cavemen...pulling women's hair..pretty barbaric. People killed each other for presige Cain & Abel), land with water (all those "--ites"), women, (even David), riches...(darn near everybody). Laws were what someone decided at the time. Even Egypt, a very civilized nation, did not consider anyone else. They even killed parents, their children etc. So...with leaving Egypt, there were thousands of unruly people. They needed rules and ways to conduct themselves. Just like little kids, a parent gives rules. The kid may not understand, but must live by the rule anyway. Even with rules, kids choose to disobey. There are consequences for that. There were consequences with the laws and the Prophets, the 10 Commandments etc. Some of those rules seem harsh, but with managing a nation, if one (for example) married someone who worshipped false gods, then more would, until few would love, and honor the true God. There was a reason to say "the fear of the Lord." It meant respect and honor, but if one disobeyed there were consequences. Deut 10:12 tells the essence of the law...to fear God, walk in His ways (His commands) & to love Him, serve Him & obey the rules given for their benefit. "Don't throw the ball out into the street, drive the speed limit, don't do hard drugs...because their are consequences if we don't obey the laws.

As I said above in Mt. 5, Jesus came to fulfill the Law & the Prophets, not to abolish it. He continues with the sermon on the Mount all the way through Chap 7. He tells what the Law and the Prophets are in Mt 7:12. "Whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets".... ah the Golden Rule.

As far as churches preaching the law...there is instruction of the law, & churches trying to judge by the law. The law says "do not commit adultery", but Jesus said in those sermon on the Mount chapters...don't even lust after a woman (or man) in your heart...because you have then already committed adultry. It is good to KNOW the Law,and then read what Jesus said about it. But we are not to judge the sinner, but love them, and hopefully direct them back to the right path. This is where some churches become prideful...as though they would not EVER sin like THAT. They are judged by their words & attitude. Remember the Law talked about not eating pork, but Peter saw a cheet come down from heaven containing all manner of animals that were good to eat. One must balance what was good for the people way back, and what Jesus said about it later. Churches who condemn..are not remembering Rom. 8:1.."There is now no condemnation who are in Christ Jesus."

Pharisees...took their cue from that section in Deut. where the people were to learn learn learn the Law, so much so that in Deut 11:18 on ..they were to bind them (the laws)on their minds, heart, when walking, talking, write them on their gates & doors, bind them as a sign on their hands and foreheads. Phylacteries (a little box)are still worn on the foreheads of Orthodox Jews, and a mezuzah (Heb for doorpost) is often found in Jewish homes just inside the front door. It contains a piece of parchment with Deut 6:4-9 of "Shema Yisrael." People who only "wear" (exterior actions) what they believe on the outside to impress others, but do not have that firmly ingrained in their hearts are Pharisees....we have them all over today, whether in church or outside. God is the Judge of the heart. Jesus impressed that upon the people in Mt. 7..another part of the Sermon on the Mount.

I am sorry I am so wordy. I know it gets tedious, but hopefully I answered some of your questions from my POV (point of view).

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  10:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha, ha! So Linda...while I was writing "War & Peace", you snuck in some real concerns for all of us. Don't feel embarrassed or sorry, as I think we all struggle with these things. Plus, when you mention politics...it even gets stickier. I won't share my views, but I believe the Sermon on the Mount is a good start. Now I am going to wash the dishes and then get back to Deut 23.

I am so glad you are sharing Linda, as it helps me, and I hope others to clarify God's love and mercy in our lives. Many blessings to you!

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  12:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So much love, support, and thoughts above. Mounds of information, instruction, and views, its hard to believe there are only 7 pages to this thread! Linda; Claudia Nini and the other girls on here are so wonderful, aren't they? Always helpful, even doing research to help us answer a question. How wonderful it is to not only have farmgirl sisters, but farmgirl sisters in Christ!

I know there are a lot of diverse denominations here, but Linda's question echoed my question about common day miracles. I was raised Pentecostal. We are visiting new churches now to find a new home church. I have stood back a bit when considering a Baptist church. I in no way want to be offensive. I went to Baptist schools my whole life. I don't dislike a great southern Baptist sermon, quite the opposite. My question was more about how one denomination teaches one thing, and another teaches something else, the CORE exactly the same, same Bible, same Trinity, but when it comes to one specific area, they differ. I was studying this question, and researching answers, and Linda's question, just rang so close to mine in nature. Linda, we ALL have questions. That's why we are to imprint Gods Word on our hearts. Discussions like this are amazing, and help us "seek out understanding".

I can't think of a single thing to add in answer of your questions, other than when Jesus died, the curtain was torn in two. In those days, different "religious levels" existed. Only one could enter the Holy of Holies. Then other rooms, outer rooms, out buildings, and even for the Gentiles, an outdoor outer parameter onioned out. The laws prevented just "anyone" from being free to be in God's presence. When Jesus took our sin on Himself, and became the one perfect sacrifice, the veil was ripped in half, no longer would the law keep us separated. No longer were we as filthy rags!! Through Christ's blood, we could go directly to God, feel His presence, and then the Holy Spirit was sent as our comforter and He dwells within us!

The laws were good, established for our protection, we still need to keep God's commandments, and as the word Christian meandering "little Christ"or "Christ-Like", and we are covered and sanctified by the Blood of the Lamb, but just as we don't want to disappoint or hurt or embarrass our parents here on earth, how much more so, if we are "little Christ" running around, should we strive to obey our Heavenly Father, out of love, respect, and a humble fear. We are no longer under the law, we are to follow Gods laws. I guess this is just repeating what's already been said, but for me, the destruction of the veil in the tabernacle is such a vivid picture of us being freed, and able to walk and talk with the Father.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #2- Called By God Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page