plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  3:01:11 PM  Show Profile
I as well no longer use teflon, aluminum and try to avoid plastic. My husband is a chemist and scares me to death sometimes when he tells me what things are made of!!
It is quite an expensive undertaking to switch, but the best place I have found to pick up glass items (in particular pyrex) is at estate and garage sales in my area. Also, I am in love with my stoneware jellyroll sheets, and baking bowl from Pampered chef. Once they are well seasoned you never have to grease them. They are expensive but they last forever if treated properly. I am now trying to find a replacement for ziploc bags for freezing things in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! For the time being I do wash out my ziplocs and reuse them... at least that helps a little with the trash impact.......

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  04:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Raw prairie, I love that you don't use your microwave! And plantcarazy, how cool that your husband is a chemist?

Here's a tip for the stainless steel pan users: After using your pan, turn off the burner, fill the pan up with water, and return it to the (now off) burner. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wash it out-most burnt-on or stuck-on stuff will loosen up quite nicely.

I also LOVE my Pampered Chef stuff. My awesome mother in law has gifted me a whole set, practically! Pizza stone, flat stones, bar pans, loaf pans, muffin tins...LOL! It's wonderful!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  04:16:08 AM  Show Profile
I love my enameled cast iron cookware. I can usually get it for a great price at HomeGoods. This is a great thread - so much useful information! Megan~ I just love your quote!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  02:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, emb! Yours isn't too bad, either ;) and Homegoods is the WORST place for my wallet! I'm so glad I haven't found one near me in KY. In CA I had major problems with that store! LOL!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Mar 18 2011 02:51:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

queen-of-denial
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jackie
Coralville Iowa
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:48:47 PM  Show Profile
I haven't used Teflon since I got my cockatiel. Teflon emmits some kind of gas that kills birds instantly. And well, if it's not good enough for my bird, then it's not good enough for me.

As for the cookie sheets, I have alluminum ones. They work pretty good, just line them with wax paper.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
"is a fart and a sneeze; a 'sneeze-fart' or a 'fart-sneeze'?"

http://queen-of-denial.blogspot.com/
http://www.grajea.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Going Teflon Free Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page