grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita - I am with you less is often more but I do know there are many types of wool that benefit by being coated. I have friends who would never not have their sheep coated and I must say their fleeces are such a dream to work with. They get a super great price for their trouble and when I look to purchase wools I go there first.

As for the picker - what type do you have? That makes all the difference in what I might be able to share with you. It will also depend on what carder you use after the picker too.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  8:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the welcome. I have had angora rabbits for about 2 years now. I don't know any tricks of the trade really. I do think that keeping the bunnies inside and only bringing them out to nurse with the dam helps them to be gentler rabbits and you have less loss when breeding. That's a very much debated topic though.
I was kind of wanting some advice really. You wouldn't have to raise bunnies, to help with this. Just deal with animal waste...
I now have 11 rabbits. 5 adult and 7 juniors. They are alot of work no doubt. And I don't mind that. Just the droppings and urine mixed with hay is getting to be a bit of a problem in how to deal with it. I did buy a 90 gal. composter. I filled it with just 1 time emptying the litter boxes and drop pans. I am getting a pretty big pile of litter in the back yard, and though I have lime to cover it for smell, I am concerned about when warm weather gets here, it attracting fly's and lime just not being enough to cover the smell. Last year I only had 4 bunnies, and the fly's were awful.I put up traps, but I sometimes wonder if they were not attracting more fly's.
I could fill a quart size fly container in 2 days.
How do you all deal with it?

A hoppy life is a happy life
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile
I love to hear about your bunnies! Wish I had some advice for you and your smell/ fly issue. We have plenty of that here, but just suffer through it. ;) It's somewhat seasonal; there have been little to no flies the past several months, but now it's warming up again and they are back a few more every day. :/

How about some yarn/fiber eye candy? Post your pictures! I started on the drop spindle, and this yarn is from my third spinning attempt. It's from a 2yo Border Leicester ewe. :) I gotta say, spinning is so addictive!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  9:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I have some home spun that I just finished plying today. I will try to post pics as soon as I wash and dry it. I am very excited about it. Contains merino, glitz, bamboo, and of course angora. For a very special project for a friend.
If you would like to see pics of my bunnies I do have a video clip of the babies on my blog, as well as pics of the adults. angoraamora.blogspot.com I also have some neat yarn video clips I linked from youtube that are just for fun, made to make you laugh stuff.
All the talk about putting covers on your sheep, makes me wonder just how that would go with bunnies. I would love it if no hay would get in their wool. I do use a blower to get it out, but wonder if you could keep a cover on them to protect it, if you were wanting to show your rabbit. Might cause it to felt though... something to try though.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Molly I love the yarn... I never seem to get pictures listed on here but I will be posting some this weekend on my Etsy shop and blog. Just been up to my eyeballs with goat birthing issues...

As for fly control - adding DE to their feed and also into the compost does help. For the large breeders they have their cages suspended from wires off the ground and they clean everyday so not to give those eggs a chance to hatch... All moving the air will keep flies from wanting to hang around. I get flies here everytime my neighbors use their popp flinger filled with their horse poop... They do not feed correctly so their horse are fly magnets along with their poop. Maybe some of the ladies might have some more suggestions.

I so miss having French Angora Bunnies - we had 28 of them.... So you are lucky to have those sweet one's in your lives.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Molly, I agree spinning is very addictive. I must say though the yarn looks absolutely wonderful hard to believe it's only your third attempt. Do you plan to dye it or use it natural?
Grace, It just must have been a bad year for flies then. I used the DE in food and in hutches. Cleaned hutches at least everyother day and also sprayed them with this equine all natural spray for pest. I forget what it's called. Then I also hung the fly traps that are quart size, 2 of those. I did not put anything on the compost heap in the back yard though, accept lime.
It was just awful awful. I was so afraid of fly strike getting my rabbits but it never did.
Here is the yarn I have been working on what seems forever. It took me awhile to gather enough angora, then collect the other fibers and dyes for them. I have been working every bit of a year to get everyting I wanted for this yarn. But...that was partly because of setting up wholesaleaccounts and stuff, not just for this yarn. Anyway...I'm pleased with the outcome and can't wait to get to working on the shawl.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:30:52 PM  Show Profile
I love seeing everyones yarns!! They are beautiful. I went to Jennifers shop yesterday, (she wasn't there:( ), I bought my first drop spindle and some mohair roving. The lady there(I can't remember her name) showed me how to use it. What a blast! She also had a lead on a used spinning wheel. I can't wait to get started.
Molly do you ride? I have 4 horses and am hoping to compete this summer.
I really enjoy hearing about everyones animals and the wisdom of their experiences. Now you guys are making me want some rabbits.I even have an empty hutch! Don't tell my husband LOL.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca - sound like you are doing everything right - sometimes Mother Nature just does not play nicely. We had one year that the deer flies where just horrible -we have no idea what went on but it was like a really bad horror film.

Love the yarn!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca, that is GORGEOUS! I LOVE it. Hmmmm, maybe I have something we can barter so I can try out that beautiful angora fiber. I am just so excited by everything right now, I hardly know what to do next!!! :D I spun some Icelandic fiber today, and actually like it much better then the Leicester, but I am dying to try everything! I am leaving it naturally colored for now, but I'm sure it wont be long before I'm up to my elbows in colors. ;)

Lisa, yes I ride! What do you compete in? I have 3 horses (though my daughter claims one of them is hers, lol). We ride for fun on the trails, and my daughter rides with her 4H club and shows in Western Pleasure and Gymkhana.

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."

Edited by - Brew Crew on Feb 18 2011 5:49:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  6:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
I read your blog today. Hugs...it's tough some days isn't it. Well said though, about living life fully. Something seriously hard for me. I guess it's not easy for anyone when we suffer a loss human and pet. But how dreadful life would be if we could not be what we were called to be. Goats must jump, and young men must conquer their quest and live their passion.
Fear really has no place in being a joyful fulfilled person. Thanks for the reminder.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  7:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,
Empty hutches are a no no here! They must be filled! If you have room and don't mind the care, I certainly would advise you to get one post haste! You will love love love the angora's! Congrats on the new spindle and I'm sure you will enjoy spinning. Hope you find a nice wheel. I purchased both of mine used and am very happy with them. One I found on Ravelry in the group called spinners market, the other I purchased off of craigs list, but it was a partial trade. I gave her one of my pet quality angora's and some cash. I ended up getting a very good deal. She was happy and so was I. Let us know how the spinning goes.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Molly, I love to barter/trade. I am usually able to sell prime wool for $8. an ounce so that will give you a value to work with as far as bartering. Honestly I don't make any money, as I am sure you can understand. I buy wooden hutches for each of my animals so...I am so in the hole on angora's. Also I have not sold 1 rabbit. I have traded for things I could use or given them to some one as a thank you, that I knew would do well with them. I have angora's because I love them. :)
Do you have an etsy store, or craft like making soap or something? I'm sure we can work something out that would be agreeable to us both.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com

Edited by - AngoraAmora on Feb 18 2011 7:15:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  09:04:17 AM  Show Profile
I only have a few rabbits, but this set up has worked for us. Our cages are inside the chicken coop. I put a pail under where the rabbits urinate (mine usually go in the same place). Their dropping fall onto either straw or wood chips. The chickens than scratch though the dropping and mix it with the wood chips. I than add that directly to my flowerbeds. Empting the pails is a smelly job, but for me with out the urine the dropping don't smell.

Christy
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  5:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Christy, what an awesome idea! I love it! Hmmmm....to convince hubbs....

Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile
I sure wish we had chickens! That is on my list of things to do someday. I have never raised chickens. Just looked at lots and lots of chicken coops and types of chickens. But that does sound like a good set up you have.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile
I guess I killed this thread...

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  07:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca you did not kill the thread - I know for me I have just been so busy with the bottle cashmere baby in the house, the tons of babies in the barn and trying to get products done and house cleaned a bit I just have not had time to type...

I too used the idea of the rabbit hutch outside the coop - I also have a compost bin next to the coop so I can make the work load less.

I hope to post on my etsy shop a new brooch I made using Angora Bunny and Cashmere fiber - it has beads, feathers and and some metallic threads. I still have not come up with a name for this creation but I hope folks will like it and maybe someone will purchase it...

So what fiber is anyone working on I just finishing plucking out some Cashgora from Murtel - she is such a great gal and buttery soft fiber - marshmellow white - dreamy....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  09:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Christy Ithink I am just going to the KAWS conference on sat. to see the vendors. Since I am so new to this I thought the workshops might be too over whelming. Also I am trying to save my $$$ to purchase some goats. ;) I would love to meet you. Maybe we could meet up somewhere there.

Grace I can't wait to see your brooch!
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  6:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,

I would love to meet you. I will be there all the time, as I'm president of the guild hosting the event. So you can let me know when you will be there or just ask someone there and they will know where to find me.

Oh, I also got a new bunny on Sunday. She was with an owner who was not taking care of her, so I had to bring her home. After about four hours of work, I finally got all the mats out of her fur. She is a English Angora. I'll post a pick when her fur has grown back.
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  1:01:42 PM  Show Profile
How many of you are also on Ravelry? I am as...Angora Amora.
I am trying something new with my hutches. I purchased some zap it at a rabbit show recently. Hope that helps things out. But I believe once things dry out a bit around here I will need to move our hutches to our home we are remodeling. There is an acre of land there, and it is surrounded by large trees. Really a better spot for them. But I have to tote water there, as our water is not hooked up yet.
Odor should not be a problem there as the houses would be far away from the rabbits. Just as long as it doesn't bother the rabbits. Also if I can keep the flying pests under control. I will be rehoming some of my rabbits this weekend. It is hard deciding what to keep and what to let go. Wish I could keep them all, it's just not realistic.
Hope you all are having a good day.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rebecca - I am on ravelry as SarahKateFibers. I do a lot of lurking, not much posting.

We used to have dwarf rabbits, but we lost 3 in the heat and humidity one summer. There was a young lady that raised all kinds of rabbits and did lots of 4H projects, and she had an air conditioned concrete block building that she housed all of her rabbits in. So I let her have the rest of mine. I can't stand losing animals.

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AngoraAmora
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Rebecca
Charlestown IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:17:01 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have a building like that for my bunnies. I lost my two best bucks this past summer due to heat. I had moved their hutches to what I thought was a better spot. But there was about 1/2 hour they got direct sunlight and it was a very hot day. I had been checking on them, but when I found them it was to late to save them. With Angora's it doesn't take much. I felt awful and still do every time I run across their pictures. Totally my fault. Not on purpose...but my fault non the less.

angoraamora.com
angoraamora.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile
I am a handspinner and always love to purchase from small fiber producers such as yourselves! I have on spoiled angora housebunny :) Am currently looking for 2 rose grey alpaca fleeces...if anyone can hnelp let me know :)
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile
I am on ralvelry as modjeska532. I haven't gotten to into it yet. But will when I have more time.
Christy- I will for sure look you up. I am also looking for a used spinning wheel for a beginner. It will be my first wheel. Please let me know if you hear of one. I am really looking forward to meeting you.

I am going to lokk at some goats and alpaca next week. Can't wait.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Lisa what type of wheel are you looking for?? I have several beginning wheels that I use to teach students on - they are in great shape so let me know what you are looking for.

I have a couple of Rose Gray Alpaca Fleeces - how much weight do you need and what price range are you looking at???

I am on Raverly under larkspurfunnyfarm. I am in many groups but I admit that I just do not right now have much time to really get into it but plan to. I get many customers from there and assist many animal owners thru that forum but I do not post much.

Last night I picked open a marvelous tri colored alpaca fleece from my Juno - silver, charcole, white - wonderful. I am always amazed at his fleece because he came to me as an alpaca on the way to be put down because of years of abuse. I know I have posted his story on my blog a year or so ago - he no longer is on the planet - gave his life to save my sheep from a mountain lion - he still gives me love and joy with wonderful memories and great fiber.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Calling all FIBER Breeders Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page