Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic mushrooms? Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  07:28:38 AM  Show Profile
I have some fresh mushrooms I need to eat up. What should I do with them. I only have about 6 fresh eggs right now, otherwise I'd made a few Fritattas for the family. We have a large family. Would it taste okay in a corn/potato chowder? Hmmmm?

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  08:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Kristina, they would be good in the chowder. I also have had good luck dehydrating or canning them.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Cream of mushroom soup or mushroom gravy over rice.
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Our favorite is green bean cassarole. Usually cook up a few chicken breasts to make it a 'balanced' meal. There's probably a recipe out there but I just wing it.
Slice mushrooms. Heat up a pan and melt a few slices of butter. Add mushrooms and cook down till the water's escaping.Salt and pepper to taste. Add a few tbs of four. Stir in milk (whole milk or half and half-though I've made it with rice milk-not as creamy and chicken broth if you have it, a few tbs spoons)till it's got a creamy texture-not to thick not too runny.
Add 2 cans of green beans. And frenches fried onions* at least a 1/4 of a cup but however much you want-save some for the top. Pour in a cassorle top with the remainder of onions. Bake at 350 till bubbly.

*Here's a homemade topping recipe
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use.
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Sorta a day or so late with this, but this what I do with mushrooms.
Spray a large pan(Dutch Oven) with cooking spray; Thinnly slice 3#'s Onions; 2 large Green Peppers; Afew stalks of Celery; Saute' til transparent. Add 1# of Sliced Mushrooms; Cover for a bit til mushrooms are tender, then remove cover and let simmer til most of th e liquid has evaporated. I let that cool the I put it in 1/2 cup measures in a snack bag and put in the freezer.

I use this to make omlets, add it to green beans, or have made sandwiches and put a slice of cheese on top. It is really a good recipe to use a lot of different ways.

The other recipe I keep made up is Chopped Spinach and Brocolli. I take 1 medium chopped onion, saute' it in a sprayed Shillet(large) when transparent add 1# each frozen spinach and brocolli, let simmer til done, stirring occasionally. I also use this in Omlets, as a side dish with either butterand/or cheese on top.

Living alone I keep stuff like that made up all the time, I call them 'My Grab and Growl's' as I can use them so many ways and can have something made pretty fast.LOL

Take time to smell the roses. Love Ya!! Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic mushrooms? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page