cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a "blog." I put it in quotations because it doesn't look like blogs I've been seeing on here. It's plain and I mostly don't know what I'm doing. I want to start writing on it on a regular basis. But I don't b/c it's not even fun for me to go too, let alone anyone else. It's from blogger.com, if that helps.

Any advice?
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:16:19 PM  Show Profile
You can go to different sites & get backgrounds. One is: shabbyblogs.com
another is scrappinblogs.com
They have lots of fun stuff to brighten it up for you. Good luck. Put the address on here & I'll take a look.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Karla. I'm almost embarrassed to post it. I have yet to add any pictures b/c I can't even figure out how to put them where I want them and how I want them on the blog. But I'll take all the help I can get. So here's the plain jane link. Please don't judge me. Ha!

http://4bcattle.blogspot.com/

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile
well tommie, i want you to know you are not alone. i am in the same situation. my daughter in law made one for me last week. i am now learning to use it. i think i am at blogger.com too. so we can share and both learn as we go. look tommie your post was number 100... way cool happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I feel for you Sherrye, but I am glad I'm not alone. And thanks for the the 100 post heads up. I hadn't even notice. :)

We'll get there...right!? :)
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Well you can learn a little XML and really change a lot of things! HTML was a lot easier for me, but blogger switched over to XML (although they will still let you use HTML if you choose the old template-but then you can't see your archives and you lose a lot of the new options that they used to offer on the old template but no longer do!)

Any way, I'm not that great with XML, but I searched around. I can't find the site right now where I got my basic template from, I'm looking but can't find it.

Any way, what I basically did was searched on google looking for templates I liked (search for something like cute blogger templates, or the like) you will find a lot of sites. It took me a good month probably fiddling around till I found a template I liked the basic view of, and then I put it in the edit html part, and then I kind of fiddled around with it, using my own graphics that I have been collecting for years (I've had websites/blogs now for about 15 years, so have a lot of graphics). And made it my own. I don't like a lot of the "cute" blog templates out there, cause they have you put their template OVER another blogger template and it takes forever to load those blogs. I wanted my blog to load fast, so I searched till I found a site that had you put the code directly in the edit html part not adding a html block to another template.

I had already been pretty much designing my blog on the old html blogger template for about 10 or so years, so it did take me a little while to figure out where I needed to plug in my own graphics and such but not that long and every once in a while I still fiddle with it and learn more new things.

I can't do a whole lot, cause really I am just swapping graphic codes around on the template I downloaded from I guess God knows where now since I can't find the website! lol haha But, if you wanted a blog with my exact same template but different graphics, I could probably do it for you. If you have graphics you want to use, or know of some you want to use.

My favorite places for graphics are-
countrypatchcollections.com
maryslittlelamb.com
irenescorner.com/graphics
graphicgarden.com

and once in a while
cutecolors.com (however, I had bought the life time membership to her website, and then she discontinued that deal, and said we should save every thing we wanted cause she was closing the lifetime memberships out, when my pc crashed I emailed her and told her that I had had that membership and my pc crashed and I lost all those graphics, was there a way she could give them to me again since she discontinued having the life time membership (which for me I guess life time meant 4 months that's about the time my lifetime membership lasted with her!) and she never responded to me about it. However, I also had bought the lifetime membership with Mary's Little Lamb and she also discontinued it (but she had very good reasons her husband died!) and when my pc crashed, and I lost all my graphics-her's included, I also contacted her, and told her and she sent me a cd of all of them-that was about 8 or so years ago! And Mary just recently has given me a very good deal and thrown in some freebies of what I am buying from her! I've also had great correspondence and help from both Irene (who is busy so it may take her a while to respond but she does respond!) as well as from Helena! Helena usually responds with in 24 hours, and is very sweet (she is the owner of graphic garden).

I have dealt with all the above for more then 10 years! So just saying. I'm not pushing any of them on you, just saying my own experience with all of them. And I like all their graphics, and all their graphics load very fast. I really don't like hanging out forever on blogs that take forever to load! So fast loading graphics and templates are really important to me. lol haha

BTW, I need to update my blog today! UHG I've been meaning to for weeks but my browser has been giving me fits!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  2:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Tommie and Sherry - I am in the same boat as you are - I'm at blogspot.com.
Heather - Thank you for all the information - you have re -inspired me!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  7:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Girls~ I am right there with you. Created a blog a few weeks ago, and still trying to figure out how to load things. Bless my best friends heart, she is my first follower, but there is nothing to follow. Feeling silly for jumping on the blog wagon, and too naive to make it work!

~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile
I sure can't give a whole lot of help. I've been blogging for nearly two years and I still haven't figured it all out. At least I've learned how to upload photos and use 'tables'!!

I'm so pitiful that when someone asked me how to follow my blog I didn't have a clue. And I just found the RSS feed thingy at the bottom of my Welcome page. Guess what?! It let's readers know when there are posts up and shows it at the Favorites tab. It makes a list of all the blogs you want to follow. Surprise. Surprise. How cool.

I got put on WordPress and that is a difficult deal. I have had to learn HTML, XHTML and CSS and if it hadn't been for the website: http://www.w3schools.com/ I'd be a blithering idiot. It is a tutorial that takes you step by step through each process. It is wonderful because it gives you all the color values and everything. My blog is very simple. I realize that. No ads no fancy backgrounds, but I decided that I wanted it that way for easy reading. Someday when I figure out how to do the other I might surprise you!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mary Beth, going to check it out~
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  8:31:59 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, for loading pictures, I've found Tinypic.com which is a free photo hosting site. You load your photo and then copy the html for blogs and past that into your blog. You have to size the photos as width="amount" height="amount" with the amount being a number ratio (like 400 x 299)to fit your particular blog. There may be easier places but I haven't found them. The one I was using, Imagehost.org was wonderful, but it has shut down and I got left in a lurch. I'm pretty pleased with the Tinypic. Does anybody else use something better?

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  9:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again, Mary Beth, so sweet of you to share these tips. One day soon, I just might be far enough along to be able to post my site~

Sure appreciate the help,
~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile
I really like photobucket.com it's been around a long time too so I'm not scared they will go out of business like other places I have had in the past 15 years! lol If you use blogger you don't need to know the pixel numbers. Bloggers new way of uploading photos you can either directly upload them to blogger or cut and paste the address from photobucket etc right in, and then choose small, medium or large. You can also just post the code directly into your post with blogger. I like though using the blogger uploading thing though because you can choose size right there and it makes them all the same size which I like not having to edit them into the same size, and I like that you can choose for it to make up the code to put it to the left, right or middle of your post.

Mary Beth, I LOVE your site. That's what I am talking about! I hate ads on a site, and I hate ones with too many graphics that it slows down the loading time. Yours is cute and great! LOVE it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blog help... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page