Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi,I am soo happy.An idea has FINALLY gotten off to a start here.We have been trying to find a place to have a community garden.With land soo tight in a narrow valley it wasn't easy.A friend suggested the back side of the school ballfield.After getting permission and signing a contract,I approached the city about removing some cottonwood trees on the land and they complied.So yesterday we had our first work party,6 folks showed up and dug out some beds,(4x10).The rocks were numerous and some were quite large,but thankfully that didn't deter anyone. I staked out 7 beds,with 2 for the school kids and one teacher helped all day! This is an ongoing project and I am so excited but exhausted too! Oh,PS,we are calling it the Heads Up garden(for those fly balls)! Will try to get hubby to post pics.

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  09:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow. That's such a great project. What a great way to bring a community together.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  4:05:06 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea, Dorothy! It's so nice for people who don't have yards of their own - they can still enjoy gardening like everyone else!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic community garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page