Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  7:34:20 PM  Show Profile
So. I bought the quinoa from Eden Organics. I got my family to try it and even like it. The second time I even knew enough to rinse it, and everyone liked it a lot more. My question is... how or with what do you rinse the quinoa that it doesn't get stuck in or wash down the drain? I tried a really fine mesh strainer, that is double layered and not only did some still slip through the mesh, but wow, was it fun to clean up! Any Suggestion, hints, tips, or ideas?

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I have a wire/mesh strainer on a handle. (This is a department store strainer- probably Wal-Mart - and it has the texture of old aluminum window screen. It's not super tiny, or super large. It holds about a cup and a half. I pour my quinoa in it, submerge it in a larger pan of water, swish well, and drain that water. I repeat this process several times, then just empty the strainer into my pan. I don't have a lot of trouble with it sticking to the strainer - I give it a whack or two on the side of the pan - and have been known to pour my water through the strainer (upside-down, of course) to wash out any kernels that cling to the wire.

My local Wal-Mart has started carrying white quinoa and I am SO glad. No more treks to Little Rock for Whole Foods. Mary Jane introduce me to it, but I've since found recipes in my Mother Earth News and online. It is indeed a super-food that I have prepared sweet and savory. Hope this helps you some!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile
I too use a strainer with a handle. It's a finer mesh and when I first run water it fill the strainer so I just stir the quinoa and the water drains. A few taps on the side of the pan and it all comes out.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  02:24:01 AM  Show Profile
do any of you gals have recipes for using quinoa? I just got some and haven't a clue how to make it.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 21 2011 02:25:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  03:58:38 AM  Show Profile
We love quinoa in our house!

I've made it a couple of ways. I saute some scallions, celery, carrots & garlic, then add the rinsed quinoa and some chicken boullion. Cook until done.

I love making it in my rice cooker! Comes out perfect. I just cook it with boullion when I do that. Then I use it in our "loaded bowls". Add your cooked quinoa to the bowl, top with black beans, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, scallions - sometimes I grill some chicken to slice and put on top. I make my own "dressing" with garlic, cilantro, lemon juice & olive oil. Whirl it until smooth in my blender and add to the loaded bowls. (That's my family's favorite way to eat it!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile
You can use it in anything you would have used rice. I make it for breakfast, using fruit, syrup, nuts, etc. For lunch and dinner, I'll cook up some veggies and put them together. You can add a side meat. One of my favorites is stuffed squash. Cook the quinoa and cook the squash. I'll cook up some other veggies cut small. Scrap out the squash and mix with quinoa and veggies and refill the shells. This is pretty as well as delicious. I'll also cook the quinoa in fruit juice (for breakfast) or chicken broth (for later meals).

Good luck,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  07:59:16 AM  Show Profile
These recipes sound delicious! I think I'll try the loaded bowls tomorrow. Thank you for sharing.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  5:47:19 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the recipes gals. Appreciate it. The first I actually had it was at a church dinner. A friend of mine made it and it was so good. Have to see if I can get her recipe also.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile
We are going through financial problems right now and moved from NYC to Kansas, leaving much of our stuff behind! I actually got a mesh strainer on a handle at Dollar Tree believe it or not that only cost 1.00! And it works great not one grain of quinoa got through! BTW I found our local krogers sells quinoa in bulk!

any way as was said I find the best recipes for quinoa are your families favorite rice recipes! I even made a old favorite African rice dish called Jollof with it, and it came out amazing!

Our local Krogers has a meditaranean salad bar that has a awesome quinoa cilantro salad on it, I want to ask them for the recipe. I tried Whole Foods quinoa salad many times and it seemed to be bland and flat tasting. But, the one at krogers is very flavoring and fresh!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile
I line my colander with paper towels before I rinse quinoa. Because of a coating on the quinoa, I have read it is better to soak it or stir in a pan on high heat before you cook with it.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Last night I made the quinoa recipe with beans and cilantro that was in this months Cluck Newsletter, wow was it good! It was my husband's first try with quinoa and I think he is hooked now too!

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Plant could you send me the recipe!? I would love to try it!

Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  8:31:49 PM  Show Profile
I use cooked, chilled quinoa in some of my salads or soups.. Btw, what is cluck newsletter?

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:50:22 AM  Show Profile
So, you are supposed to rinse quinoa?? Did not know this. Can someone provide me with more specifics? Hot water, cold water, for how long, etc??
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile
sara,,read back to beginning of this post.. Holly explains how she does it...it about rinsing..i use cool water from sink. Swish a few timws and into pan. I'm guessing rinse until clear...good luck...

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I guess they also make a no rinse quinoa now that does not need to be soaked or rinsed.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  9:56:49 PM  Show Profile
You should still rinse it, it's about some oils that could be on the top, I've heard time and again to still rinse the no rinse one other wise you could be sorry and get very bitter outcome. The oil is bitter. As costly as it is (at least in my opinion) I would rather be safe then sorry and truly it only takes a few seconds. I use one of those mesh colanders from the dollar tree, and I just swish it around and rinse in cool water for maybe a minute.

Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  1:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Allrecipes has some great quinoa recipes. My favorite is Apple Curry Qunioa. I'm bummed because I'm about to start a diet and can't eat grains at all for 30 days! Sad.

Blessings!

www.suzysouthern.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I got a couple recipes from Weight Watchers that sound good. I am going to try it tonite :)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Quinoa Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page