Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Nordic Walking / Poles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Nordic Walking / Poles Next Topic  

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone else have these? I got my pair about four years ago and used them a little bit but then got lazy... I really do like them and they're supposed to burn about 40% more calories than just walking.

Would love to find a Nordic Walking buddy out there in the MJF population!

Karin

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:41:05 PM  Show Profile
So that's what those things are for! I volunteer at the Morton Arboretum as a trail monitor and occasionally I see people walking with them. I thought they were a bit over the top for the smooth trails we have. Now I know they are for exercise! Thanks Karin.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
It's more than exercise. If you use the poles, your hands don't swell as bad when hiking. They also provide stabilization. But the added exercise benefit is always good too!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile
What do they look like? Not sure that I have ever seen any before. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Karin!

You just found a Nordic Walking buddy here! Me! I love my poles for so many reasons. Yes, indeed, you can walk and walk. But you can burn more calories in less time and it simply feels good. They also come in fabulous cool colors too. Mine are red! My hubby has a pair of brilliant blue poles. You are walking and using your arms as well. It's very easy to coordinate yourself and enjoying all the benefits of walking in a very fun and healthy way. My Nordic walking poles are from Keen Fit. You want a pair that are study. THe feet are adjustable too which is perfect for us Farmgirls that live on the farm, in the country, in the city, and near the beach.

Here's to a great year ahead and letting our Farmgirls here know just how fabulous pole walking really is!

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Want to see what the KeenFit walking poles look like and see for yourself in the videos just how easy and beneficial pole walking is?

These are the poles that I have in vibrant red and with my own case. Spring is coming and my poles are waiting for me patiently.

Take a look and enjoy..... you just might love making this connection to Pole Walking as much as I do.... my stride is stronger and I am working my arms instead of just having them dangle. The poles are so lightweight and I fly like I am flying. You can always control just how fast or slow you are pole walking just like you do when you are walking.

http://www.keenfit.com/

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Karin,

How did you get started Pole Walking? I went to a free clinic in my community. This is extra fun because you actually get to try on the poles and see what pole walking is all about.

I also checked out several articles in addition to my actual hands-on experience to see what Pole Walking is all about. I was looking for a more total body experience that I could do and feel good about doing without a lot of wear and tear on my knees and joints.

Here's an article and video that our Farmgirls might enjoy.....

http://www.keenfit.com/about-poles/what-is-pole-walking.asp#3

I love the way the poles are adjustable to our height. It's not a one size fits all. It's less stress on the joints than regular walking. So I can do the walking that I know I need to do and have fun in the fashionable colors of the walking poles and at the same time not overdo on my joints.

Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  12:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Karin, I have a blue pair that I've had for years! They give you a great workout, but I haven't been able to use them since I had my bilateral mastectomies last October. I bought mine for $2.00!!! at the Unclaimed Baggage Center near here in Scottsboro, AL. Which reminds me...I need to take another trip up there soon! lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  01:28:17 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine uses his almost every day. He loves them, for him it is a very good walking exercise he otherwise might not have gotten. When I do my mailroute I often see him strutting around the village with his Nordics lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  05:51:22 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I have the poles too and used to use them quite a bit, but I don't like to use them when I walk with my hubby. It seems like we can't get going at the same pace when I use them and he doesn't. I work in the Valley, 9-5ish, but live in CDA. If you're interested in getting together some time, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:43:00 PM  Show Profile
I solved that issue of not walking together at the same pace by deciding early on to simply each walk on our pace. My hubby likes to go slower and I like to go a little faster. So I figure we are still out together and having a good time and getting our exercise in for the day.

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:46:33 PM  Show Profile
I think a big plus in pole walking is that you can slow or speed up your walk and have a good time.

Another big plus that works for me is that I am getting maximum benefit from the time I am pole walking beyond the time that it would take me if I was just walking. Since I never seem to have enough time in a day to do all the things that I would like to, for me pole walking is a great way to maximum and make the most efficient use of my time.

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  04:09:11 AM  Show Profile
I saw a man walking through our neighborhood yesterday. Thought he was pole walking - but he had golf clubs instead. Held them by the part that hits the ball and the club end was on the ground. I wonder if they work the same way? It would be a more frugal way to pole walk - I see putters at the resale shop all the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:02:40 AM  Show Profile
The Nordic poles aren't actually just sticks. They are wrapped to your hand and of course adjustable for everyone's hand. That's a handy feature to have to prevent your poles from sliding and having you.... the most important element in your walking....slip and fall. That wrapping feature (with velcro) secures the poles comfortable to your hand.

The foot tip is a cushioned foot because you don't want a lot of impact as you walk as in hitting the pavement or where you are walking. Nordic poles also come with different feet tips (included in your set) so you can pole walk in different areas and still enjoy yourself.... say on the trail, on the farm, in the city, and yes, on the beach.

You wouldn't find that with golfing clubs. There wouldn't be a give on the end. You would have to maintain your grip on the putting end which isn't a comfortable walk or you can fall which wouldn't be great at all. On appearance, sometimes what might seem smart and thrifty might not actually be such.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Nordic Walking / Poles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page