Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I am not going to put any veges in freezer this year, only meat, so I am searching for a soup recipe with tomatoe, corn, etc. for canning. I also would like the name of the best canning books on your kitchen shelves. My DM and DGM canned but my experience is limited and I only have a few recipes for soup starters. Any suggestions? In the past I help mom do the water bath method for the most delicious tomatoe juice and I will try that this year but I want to get ultra prepared BEFORE the veges come in. Thanks for your input, Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile
I just got the "Growing and Canning your own Food" by Jackie Clay for Christmas. That and collecting her recipes online are wonderful. You can can almost anything!

I made a goal to can all our own veges last year and not buy any more canned from the store. SO much better! I also have quite a bit of canned meat, which is SO easy to throw in a pot for dinner.

I can soups with meats, chili, etc. You just have to pressure can to the longest ingredient. So if you are doing soup with any meat, can to the length of the meat for your altitude. Vegetables have to be pressure canned anyway, so I do my chicken or beef in the soup. Tomatoes can be water bathed. Just no soup with flour-gravy or noodles (or only a few noodles) just don't want things to be to thick.

I also had a goal, almost met, to have 30 days of dinner in a jar. I did BBQ Beef (venison) for sandwiches, meatballs and sauce, chili, turkey and gravy, soups, etc. Another time saver, dump and heat.

I love being able to walk out to my "store" and take things off the shelf. Good luck on your adventure.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  8:03:39 PM  Show Profile
Hay Angie, Sorry I haven't posted sooner but busy busy. Thanks for the info on Jackie Clay. I'll check her out. My folks use to can everything and then came the freezers and SUPERmarkets so they kind of got away from it all. My two sisters and i creamed corn and a few other things last year but it all went into the freezer. One year, long ago, my mothers freezer went out and it was not discovered for quite while and I remember holding my nose and taking it all out to the garbage cans. What a waste and my mother was shoveling it out and crying buckets of tears while she worked. Sooooo sad and such a waste. I would like to avoid this if possible so I want my "store" (as you put it) to be on my shelf instead of the freezer....."Kilowatt Monster". I even purchased the last wide mouth jars are Tractor Supply the other day. So, I'll need all the help I can get....thanks for the advise, SISTER. Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile
My best "canning friend" is the Ball bomplete book of canning. It is around 450 pages and has all of the latest guidlines for safe canning. Although Jackie has alot of good recipes she will be the first to tell you that her recipes aren't all approved canning recipes so use at your own risk. I can everything I possibly can but, there are some things we just prefer out of the freezer. If you plan on investing in a pressure canner now is the time to do it. I can year round. I just put up lemon jelly the other day and am getting ready to put up a batch of black beans.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:01:13 PM  Show Profile
I got this off of one of my blog sites that I read. I do not remember which one, but here is one for tomato soup

Canned Tomato Soup ~*~*~*Just Like Campbells

This week I found a recipe for making our own Tomato Soup that cans up in a waterbath or steam canner but do NOT use a pressure canner!!!

1/2 C onion (next time I might try onion powder)
1 1/2 C butter
2 1/4 C flour
1/4 C salt
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp pepper
8 qts Tomato Juice

Saute onion in butter. Stir in flour, salt, sugar, and pepper and cook until smooth and bubbly stirring constantly. Gradually add juice. Boil one minute. Fill hot jars with soup and hot water bath (I used my steam canner) for thirty minutes. Makes about 18 pints. To serve, mix a jar of soup with equal amounts of milk and heat. DO NOT pressure can - it will explode!

I made our tomato juice by heating tomatoes fresh from our garden and then sending them through our Kitchen Aide juicer/strainer until we had 8 quarts.

I can't wait to not buy those ugly cans anymore that are full of high fructose corn syrup and other nasty things.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canned Soup Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page