Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  09:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So Nora and I went out to the car this morning and were slipping and sliding just trying to get to it. There had been freezing rain last night so I scraped the windows after getting the Jimmy started. It was still raining a bit.

I backed out of our driveway and braked so I could turn and kept going backwards. I am so glad my neighbor sold one of their cars because I might have crashed into it! I slid about 10 feet and I had been going less than 5 miles an hour.

So we started making our way to her preschool- slowly but surely. about halfway there, I had to stop and get out to re-scrape the windows because the falling rain was freezing on my windshield before the wipers could get it away. It is 18 degrees out so the heater was taking a while to kick in.

Then as we neared the preschool, I could see another parent had tried to make the turn and had slid past the turn off, so I checked my breaks and sure enough- there was no stopping. So I down shifted to let the compression of the engine slow us downs and drifted to a stop about an 1/8 of a mile down the road. I turned around and slowly came back but still slid off the road a bit when I make the corner to her preschool. When we parked and walked in, we both about fell on the gravel because the gravel was coated in ice, but not sticking to each other so it was moving underneath our feet a bit.

It was crazy trying to get there. Then I had to go check on Tala to make sure she had fresh dirt in her pen so she wouldn't slip and break her leg.

I saw a Bald Eagle hanging out on the ice flow in the river which was neat and Tala's pen was freshly cleaned so lots of raw dirt. I decided not to even get out since she there was no way for me to move her safely. Coming home I saw one bad wreck and saw another ambulance leaving to go to another.

This is some really crazy weather!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  5:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes Alee this morning was not nice. I did however miss the morning ice storm as I was at work before 8:00 AM and it was just starting to sprinkle when I pulled in at work. I did have to start my car about 4:30 PM tonight so I could get the ice to melt off my windows on my car. It was so very dangerous this morning and going home the streets were still icy. Glad you were safe.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  5:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Goodness! I would have just stayed inside! Glad you all are safe!

We are getting a mix of slushy snow/ freezing rain here. I was supposed to go up to Milwaukee today but decided to stay home in my jammies instead!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Ice Storm! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page