deemc54
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Dee
Lufkin TX
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile
I am not trying to get off easy and not do all that is required to earning merit badges. But what I am wondering if some of the things that I do do can be rewarded with a badge. I know we can earn a badge by helping farmgirl sisters, but here is what I am wondering. I have been redoing my grown son's bathroom at his house. I paid a sheetrocker to texture over wallpaper. But I have painted the sheetrock, caulked and painting over beaded board paneling, spray painted the light fixtures and towel racks,and restained the cabinets. I have about 40 hours invested in this project, and I am wondering if that would constitute some category for helping others. If not, that is okay with me. But if I was able to earn a badge for it... all the more better!! I am so wanting to finally finish this bathroom so I can move on to earning another badge. If only you could have seen this before I started.

Edited by - deemc54 on Jan 13 2011 07:57:36 AM

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion Dee, expect to see this on the badge list soon!

Carphentry
Make It

Beginner

Find a simple project around the home, such as installing shelving or repainting a room, and complete it.

Read the book Dare to Repair, by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet.

Intermediate

This time, tackle a more difficult project like remodeling an entire room or crafting something for the home or your property like a picnic table. A minimum of 20 hours is required to earn this badge.

Expert

Undertake a major project such as building your own workshop. If you lack the space or resources for a project such as this, you can also donate your time to a group like Habitat for Humanity. A minimum of 40 hours is required to earn this badge.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

deemc54
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Dee
Lufkin TX
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  6:49:26 PM  Show Profile
I am almost finished with this project. I spent about 5 more hours today touching up the paint, painting the mirror, removing tape, putting back the light switch covers and outlet covers. I had a friend come and help me because I have grown weary with this 3 week job that I thought would take me 1 week. I will post final photos later. I am quite proud that it did turn out looking nice. But this was not really a carpenter job- more a caulking/painting/staining job.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile
That still counts.
Go to Top of Page

deemc54
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Dee
Lufkin TX
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:14:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay Kevin, before I did this I recently painted cabinets at our hunting camp, not to mention painting my sewing room. I will take some photos of this and use it for my beginner merit badge and the bathroom for my intermediate badge. Check out my blog and see the bathroom makeover. www.dailywithdee.blogspot.com I wish I had taken the before photos.
Go to Top of Page
  Technical Support: Previous Topic Merit Badges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page