Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Which seam to use- flannel lined velour?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Which seam to use- flannel lined velour? Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Help!!
I'm still pretty new to knits, and I got the idea of making a projct that is proving rather complicated at this juncture!

It's a toddler poncho made of velour, lined with flannel. The author has no knowledge of knits, and cannot help me! (??) Maybe she made hers of all wovens.

Anyway, I have some nice thrift store fabrics, and the outerwear piece is ready to sew to the lining. I used a knit stretchy seam on the velour, regular staight stitch on the flannel when assembling them. I now need to sew them togther, right sides together, to move on witht he project.
What seam should I use? The important thing is the drape- the point is to sew all around the edges, which will line and in that way hem the project all at once.

Then, when I sew little pom pom fringe all the way around the project edges, which seam will I use at that point??
Any help is appriciated. I have been using a universal point needle but I think I'll use a ball point next time I work with the velour. Any thoughts on using a ball point to sew my seam or add the pom pom fringe??
Thanks, as ever!
Mary LD
PS I have another pattern where a woven is used to edge the neck, sleeves, and hem of a dress, which I'll be making with jersey and a batik. I'm guessing I'll use the same approcah as for this project, on that one, right?

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:20:14 AM  Show Profile
PS I should maybe post another topic, but any hints on threading a twin stretch needle, for future projects?

Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary Since you are sewing the knit to a woven fabric there is no need to use a stretch stitch as it is not going to be stretching and same goes for sewing on the trim. A universal needle will be just fine although a ball point needle is best on knits. I have done alot of sewing with knits and find them fast and usually pretty fast to sew up.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Just saw the second post. Completly thread one needle through all the guides and the needle before doing the second one. Nothing really different about using a double or triple needle.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:26:15 AM  Show Profile
Phew, that was quick!
Now I can get back to my project!!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Which seam to use- flannel lined velour? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page