msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  8:08:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just love anything British. I mean...really! Okay, maybe not some of the food, lol! Anyway, I just read a Miss Marple collection that has literally been sitting on my shelf for 5 years and I love it! I just don't often read fiction. Now I am onto "By the Pricking of My Thumbs".

Does anyone else enjoy these British whodunits?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  01:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I guess I have read most if not all in my "younger" days lol. YES they are very good, no blood and gore, no foul language and still very good and ya "never know who did it" :D

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  6:02:25 PM  Show Profile
In the 70,s I joined a club where I got one of her books every month. I have every one she wrote. I have read them all but that was 30 yrs ago, and now I get one out and read it again. I get one of her books out when I feel I'm getting overloaded with the news, noise, problems, etc. You can really relax and enjoy.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile
I just watched one of the movies with Joan Hickson. I loved it. It's on Netflix! Hurrah! I just love the drizzly British countryside...with their gardens, afternoon teas, and black umbrellas. Sigh.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I love British mysteries - old and new. Have you read any "Mrs. Mallory" mysteries by Hazel Holt? Very good... I'm also a fan of all things British and its just as much fun to read about the setting, etc as trying to figure out "who done it???"

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I almost forgot - I love the Joan Hickson version - not too fond of the Geraldine McEwan - she's too thin to be a good Miss Marple. And I LOVE Tommy and Tuppence. I'm going to have to find those - sounds like a good time to reread af few favorites...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile
You know, I think I HAVE seen/read Mrs. Mallory...hmmm. Will have to check into that. I am excited to start reading about Tommy and Tuppence. Right now I am reading a book with 5 Christie novels in it. Just finished a Poirot mystery and 'Ten Little Indians'. I had actually read it before, but it's worth a second read.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  04:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I love Agatha Christie books. She's probably my most favorite author. It's been a few years since I've read anything by her. I always liked them best because the suspense was there right to the end. Even when I thought I knew who did it, I didn't. Most books today I have figured out in the first few chapters which can make for a very boring read.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  3:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read anything by Patricia Wentworth? She isn't as prolific as Agatha Christie, but her Miss Silver character reminds me of Miss Marple. They're much older books too. I really enjoy them. Glad I went to the library - I'll definitely be home for the next couple days. We're expecting quite a snow storm here. Brrrr....

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Agatha Christie, anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page