Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic EGADS FELS NAPTHA!!! Next Topic  

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  1:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Babs and I just discovered that Fels Naptha is not so good....petro chemicals are in it! YIKES! notsogood for natural laundry soap. Then I thought about using Ivory...has beef and pork tallow! I am so against animal products in things like this. My family eats meat, but its organic and free range and humane (as humane as butchering can be...) none of our care products have animals in them except our few bars of ivory and few bars of irish spring (rob uses it...)

I am really shocked.....

Looks like Kirks is the better alternative.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Tasha -- I started making my own soap so that I wouldn't have to buy any of that kind of thing from the store. I want to know what is in the stuff I'm using. Here are a couple of laundry soap recipes from Herbal Homekeeping by Sandy Maine. This is a fabulous book that has all kinds of natural cleaners in it!

Once-a-Year Laundry Concentrate

1/4 clay powder
2 to 3 tbsps essential oil of your choice
13 cups borax
12 cups baking soda
4 cups sodium lauryl sulfate (derived from coconut oil - can be purchased at soapmaking suppliers)

Using a small whisk or fork, mix the clay powder with the eo. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well in a 2 or 3 gallon pail. Use 1/8 cup of laundry powder per load. Will last a year for an average family of 4 that generates 5 loads of wash per week.

Soft Soap
12 cups grated castile soap
12 cups boiling water
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup borax
1 tsp lemon essential oil
1 tsp grapefruit essential
Put grated soap into a two gallon stainless steel kettle. Add the boiling water, simmer and stir frequently for 15 minutes, then stir in other ingredients. Use 1 cup per load of laundry. Can also be used for general household cleaning. If used regularly may leave a soap residue in clothes. Use 1/2 cup white vinegar in the rinse cycle if necessary. Highly recommended for people who have sensitivities to detergents.

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  6:06:54 PM  Show Profile
What is Kirks? Where can you find it? I have been using Zote, anyone know much about that?
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  3:29:54 PM  Show Profile
I think she is talking about kirk's castille soap. Right? I found it at my local grocery store but I think you can order it on line. I really like it.

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  1:07:00 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by therusticcottage

4 cups sodium lauryl sulfate (derived from coconut oil - can be purchased at soapmaking suppliers)

I hope the author stresses the importance of wearing a mask when handling this stuff -- it can be worse than inhaling straight ammonia! You sure don't want to get it in your eyes, or even on your skin in its unmixed form, and even in prepared products, a lot of people are allergic to even small amounts of it.

While I suppose the jury is still out on the actual toxic effects of SLS, we know for sure it's nothing to play with -- and you don't really need it unless you just can't imagine soap getting you clean without making a lot of lather.

But other than that, certainly nothing beats homemade soap. I don't make my own, but I have a friend who makes and sells wonderful soaps at our local farm market and I helped her with a couple of batches once. It was serious lab work, but fun! I just love using soaps whose provenance I know, right down to the very plant that gave up some part of itself to provide the fragrance! It's a wonderful way to feel "grounded" and at peace at the end of a rough day. You farmgirls who take the time to make your own -- and those of us who use what you make -- are part of real earth magic!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic EGADS FELS NAPTHA!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page