kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  1:21:41 PM  Show Profile
For several years now my husband and I have been looking for not only organic, but humane, sources for meat, but we were never able to find anything local until we stumbled up Badger Pocket Bison Ranch in Ellensburg, WA. http://badgerpocketbison.com/

We first found the ranch when we were on a little field trip to this with some Japanese students we were hosting. The bison roam on 90 acres of land and they truly only ever have one bad day (slaughter day). The bison are so happy we were able to pet them and they ate alfalfa out of our hands!

My husband and I ended up staying for quite awhile and discussing the operation with the owner, Ron Barella, while the students ate bison shaped cookies that his wife, Vicki made. No insemination--to get the stud bull to do his job they did have to bring in another bull for competition. They are as wild as possible which makes any type of confinement for injections, branding, etc. impossible because they'll die of shock. The only time they're confined is when they are slaughtered. Slaughtering is done as quickly and humanely as possible and only to keep up with demand. We get all of our meat from here now...You can call ahead and go out to the ranch and say hi to bison and Ron (he love to chat!)or he'll deliver!

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  3:31:21 PM  Show Profile
A little off the main topic, but... Where are the Japanese students from that you host? My daughter and I have started welcoming Japanese (female) students for a weekend from Mukagowa Fort Wright in Spokane. GREAT experience! Just wondering...

Interesting hearing about the bison ranch, too. Wish it was closer!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  4:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Our kids are from Tamamura, Japan and are junior high age and visit through a program called Bridges Abroad here in Ellensburg. They only stay for 1 1/2 weeks, they stay in pairs and have many planned activities through the week with 3 "free" days in the middle. So far, the favorite activities have been hitting balls at the golf range and camping. The boys loved to rough-it in a tent w/o bathroom facilities, but the girls prefer the motor home!

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Tabitha, there is a bison ranch right here too. In fact, it's almost in town. I have gotten meat from them before. But they sell mostly to restaurants now. It's really good. I'm glad you were anle to find a good place to get meat. It's so much better this way. What I don't raise myself I get from a farm that's strictly grass based.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
We absolutly love bison here. We have replaced beef with it. We don't eat a whole lot of red meat so its cost is not to extravagant for us. I have yet to get it from a bison ranch locally. I have two of them I could go to, but they are about two hours away. I should look into delivery.lol
I encourage everyone to try bison at least once. Its great stuff.

"What we see depends on what we look for." ~John Lubbock
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  10:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I love bison and have found it at the Whole Foods store about 60 miles from where I live. It is a little far, but worth it when I am out of bison. I usually go when I have a bit of extra money and can stock up on it. I have 2 upright freezers that we usually stock with 3 deer and a sheep every year, and pork if we can manage to harvest a wild one.

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I've had someone talking to my husband about raising some bison. We've heard they're hard to contain, even in tall fences-one of the cattlemen in our area had a bison that got out and he had a heck of a time getting it back in. I think that's great you've been able to switch to a more humane meat source.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Happy Bison Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page