Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  12:48:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to be a Grandma!!! In August. I thought the reading room would be a good place to come up with ideas for books for little ones. My kids and I did a lot of reading when they were little, but that was 20-30 years ago. A lot of the old favorites are long gone. I thought I'd pick out a book a month to start a collection. What are your kids' or grandkids' favorites?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't have my own kids yet (or obviously grandkids!) but a few of my favorite books from when I was little are Good Night Moon, Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I actually bought myself a copy of Where the Wild Things Are just a few years ago, since I don't know what happened to mine! I've seen all these recently in the bookstores, so they are still available. I'd be sure to get the originals of Where the Wild Things Are and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Since they've been made into movies (that I refuse to see!)I don't know if there are 'movie versions' out there.

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  4:53:02 PM  Show Profile
When my kids were small, my then sister in law gave them a book called The Napping House...I can't remember who it is by, I do have it around here somewhere, but they all loved it! Then there was the Dr. Seuss books, especially Horton the Elephant ones that my parents read to me, I read to my kids, and my kids are now reading to their kids!
Have fun picking out books, they are such an important part of children's lives!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Definitely Dr. Seuss, and the "Good Dog Carl" books by Alexandra Day are awesome, my son loved those and my granddaughter now does too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile
My daughter loves Goodnight Moon and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I reccommend board books for the first couple years...less destructable!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Baby book ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page