Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Deperately seeking.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Deperately seeking..... Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  09:13:57 AM  Show Profile
So a couple of years ago I took a knitting class at my LYS (local yarn shop) for a felted bag. Finished it, bought the straps for it at my LYS, gave it to my MIL for Christmas - she loved it. The year before that I made a felted bag for myself which is still sitting in my bin of projects to finish - it needs straps. I went back to my LYS to buy more straps and, lo and behold, the LYS has new owners who don't seem to have a good grasp of their accessory inventory, and they no longer have the straps. I have checked the other LYS, the regular fabric stores and the internet to no avail - I cannot find these straps. I'm sure they still exist, I can't be the only knitter who wants to attach straps to a bag......can I? Do you have any ideas where to look?? Websites I may have missed??
The straps in question were about 18" long, looked like leather but weren't and were black (I have found some non-black straps on a couple of sites but I want black - really)
Anyway, if you have any suggestions please, please let me know.
Oh, and in my folly, I have started yet another bag I plan to give to my mom which will also requre straps so I really need two sets of the afore-mentioned straps.
Thank you!!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  12:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
Google "Camas Creek Yarns" in Kalispell, MT. I know they have a site, but am not sure if they sell from it. They have classes for folks to make the felted bags, so might have the straps you're looking for. If not, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy - try this site http://www.tallpoppycraft.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=58_41&osCsid=2bcc2393910180e57beab35e2717ba7c

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  3:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful - thank you - Sheri - those are exactly what I was looking for, I think I like them even better than the original ones I used. And thanks for the tip Kelly, next time I am in Kalispell (say, when my husband and I are on a fishing/camping trip) I will check them out - looks like a great shop.
Thank you both again!!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  05:59:05 AM  Show Profile
you can also check out thrift stores for purses and use the handles off some of them. I did this for a felted purse I made and then I used the purse with no handles as a cover up for a potted plant. they both look nice....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  10:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i'm with beverley...the local thrift is my favorite place to buy crafting supplies. also, if the purse has a magnetic fastener be sure to remove that for you stash...it's sure to come in handy on other handbag projects!

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  11:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Ditto!
Bev, what a great idea....
I search for old interesting Belts to use for my "Boot Top" tote purses (past MJF mag article).
I also use western looking belts to cinch around plaid wool pillows to create a interesting embellishment.
* our local Salvation Army store onRuby has a betl rack and all the belts are .98 cents.... so I keep my eyes open for interesting buckles as well....
But, duh! why didn't I think about purse straps/handles!
Ok, another item to ad to my on going list of things to keep my eyes open for when junktiquing.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay, you are now hearing the giant smack of my hand hitting my forehead and a big "doh". Umm, duh? I used to thrift for raw materials all the time, never even thought about it. Another great farmgirl idea:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Deperately seeking..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page