Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic back to farming Next Topic  

endine
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Birkenfeld Oregon
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the process of moving to Birkenfeld, Oregon, to a 1913 farmhouse on 200 acres. I grew up in Los Angeles, lived in rural Colorado for 16 years, and moved back to LA four years ago. That was all the time I needed to get thoroughly fed up with it, so I'm heading back to the country and ready to participate with my whole heart!
I was married for 26 years, am now divorced and in a long-term relationship with a wonderful man. I have 4 daughters (26, 23, 21, and 19) who were all born at home, and home-schooled. While we lived in Colorado, we had a sort of mini-farm on 4 acres with a horse, a sheep (briefly), chickens, ducks, dogs, and cats, along with visits from neighboring ducks, goats, and pigs. We had such a lovely time there while the girls were growing up. I had a vegetable garden and did all my cooking and baking from scratch, including making butter from the milk I bought from a neighboring rancher. We were sometimes referred to as the "little house on the prairie family" or "little women" because all 5 of us had long hair and loved to dress in long skirts. I made most of our clothes, including doing hand-smocking on the girls' dresses, and also did custom sewing out of my home as a side business and taught smocking classes.
I have a degree in studio art, but my great love is crafts - knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing, quilting, weaving. I'm so excited about moving to my new home. The house needs a lot of work and I'll be doing as much of it myself as possible (been reading up on installing kitchen cabinets and bathtubs!). I'm planning to put in a greenhouse and can't wait to have a thriving vegetable garden and orchard, horses and chickens and ducks, and a plethora of flowers!
Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy for making this move, especially since my significant other will remain in California until he retires, so I'll be living alone(except for my 2 dogs and 2 cats). The big question is always, "What are you going to do with 200 acres all by yourself?" I find it hard to believe that people can't guess! I'm thrilled about having all that property to explore, and the peace and quiet of farm life and the company of animals. There are so many skills I want to learn, and am hoping that I'll have the time. I'm planning to start a website that will allow me to sell my quilts and custom-made children's and women's clothing. In time I'd also like to include hand-spun yarn and woven blankets and shawls. I plan to move in the middle of February and am so anxious to be away from the city and back to where I belong.
I've been enjoying reading the posts on this website and look forward to getting to know some other farmgirls who share my interests. If there are any of you in northern Oregon, I'd love to hear from you!

Endine

endine
birkenfeld, or

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  2:11:07 PM  Show Profile
You are so brave. Someimes I just want to drop everything and do that type of thing. Good for you for doing it on your own. Welcome!

-Taylor
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile
THE ONLY WORDS I HAVE FOR YOU ARE WOW, WOW, AND WOW. WHAT A GREAT PICTURE OF A WOMAN YOU MAKE. SOMETHING WE CAN ALL STRIVE FOR. GOOD FOR YOU.I AM SURE YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT OF ALL OF US THAT HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND THIS WEB SITE. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE SUCH A GREAT PLACE FOR US IN CYBERSPACE......

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  08:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Endine! You will fit right in here with all of these wonderful and supportive people! You are truly of the "pioneer spirit" that is so exhibited here...Taking the road less travelled...That is what it is all about...Your new farm in Oregon sounds beautiful! You go girl!!! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Endine,
Hoorah for you!! For the past 7 years I have done many of the things you are talking about. I have learned and done many things that I have never done before and have found the empowerment of doing it myself very gratifying. Women are strong enough and capable enough to do many of the things that have been mostly done by men. I have done some of the plumbing, helped with the wiring, assisted with the sheetrocking including all of the finish taping and texturing, Done all of the painting and I have hung all of the cabinets in our home by myself. I learned how to find levers and blocking to assist me with the heavy part of this job.
I am proud of you for having the courage to make this move.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Jan 19 2005 08:40:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

endine
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Birkenfeld Oregon
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  10:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great welcome! I know I'm embarking on a scary venture, but I love knowing that there are strong women out there who will offer support. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Endine

endine
birkenfeld, or
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  09:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Endine

Congradulations on your soon to be new lifestyle.
I read your message and came to realize I am not the only back to the land girl out there. I too had moved from the city to a 200 acre farm 10 years ago now. I raise sheep, sheer them and spin wool. WE have cattle, chickens and grow our own feed on our farm. I have home schooled my children ( boys 24, 22 girls 17, 13 and 8)and have absolutely loved having them around me 24/7.
Most of my friends are from church and the city. I often feel awful having them out here because my 1880 circ. farm house isn't a beautiful as their city homes. But does it have character!! And the scenery is a must.
Today we are sat at -33C ( Canada)(-24F) with a windshield of -44C (-42F) but the sun is out and the dogs and I went for a walk after milking. The snow is glistning and there was a big grey owl outside the barn. Don't get this pretty picture in the city!
Inside the kids are around the kitchen table with the woodstove heating the place up. My 13 year old made cookies, and it smells wonderful. I found my black cat that didn't come in last night, inside the family van when I was warming it up for my husband before he left for the city to go to work.Guess the cat snuck in the van as hubby was closing to door last night. What a delightful surprise as I feared I lost the cat to frost.
Yes I am a farmer, a shepard, and a mom. This is what I have been ment to do, because I love it so much.

All the best. Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  09:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marlyn! I shall no longer complain about our single digit temps, whether + or -, after reading your entry. I commend you for your lifestyle! Glad you've joined us too!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Cntrymom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Barb
Romeoville Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome - I am jealous when I read about your life - I'm still in the dreaming stage. Let us know your website when you start to sell your goods. I crochet too - absolutely love it. Good luck . . .

Born in the wrong century . . . .
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  08:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Endine
as a mother of four i am grateful to hear you survived intact and are still able to live your dream.
being caught in the turmoil of motherhood (ages 16-10). I am comforted by the thought of land and acres and acres of nature to surround me. My family would think I was crazy also. My soul speaks to me in the outdoors and it is there I find my comfort.
Good Luck on your exciting adventure.
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  1:32:32 PM  Show Profile
You wonderful pioneer women!
When I read your stories, the pull is so great on my heart! Thank you all for sharing - oh gosh, I wish I could wake up on 200 acres in a 1913 farmhouse. I know, I know, it is not always a dream life, but I sure would like to try it!
Keep us in on your daily stories!
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Endine
Welcome! Your new adventure sounds wonderful. It will be fascinating to hear your thoughts and feelings as you move and get settled into your new home. I look forward to many posts from you !

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

endine
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Birkenfeld Oregon
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2005 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't checked my email for a few days but was so glad to read all your nice notes. Believe me, I need some encouragement right now. I'm scheduled to move in 2 weeks but am having a hard time grasping the reality of what I'm going to. All I can see is that my present house is no longer home. Everything is off the walls and the bookshelves and there are boxes everywhere. I can't get motivated to sweep up the dog hair or pick up the mail and things that get scattered about because I know it won't make any difference. I'm generally a homebody but right now I don't want to be here. I'm trying to keep the horizon in my sights but it's a struggle remembering that my reality is not what's in front of me at the moment.

So, thank you all for reminding me that I have an exciting adventure ahead of me and that it really is going to happen!

Therese - Believe me, you can survive 4 children. I was exhausted most of the time, but every bit of effort that I put into childrearing is coming back to me in multiples. My kids are the light of my life! They are so completely worth the trouble!

Endine

endine
birkenfeld, or
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2005 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there Endine! We are all cheering for you! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2005 :  3:08:53 PM  Show Profile
Endine, many of us will be living vicariously through you because you will be living our dream. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile
If I was closer I'd help you! I'll just have to mentally help you sweep up the dog hair (I'm an expert as Emma leaves it EVERYWHERE!)

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

lisavalles
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lisa
Edinburgh IN
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2005 :  07:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Endine

I so happy for you! Please let me know if there is any way I can help you as I own a construction company. I may not live close to you, (Indiana), but I've learned a few time saving and money saving things along the way that I would love to pass on to you.

Lisa

Country Girl
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic back to farming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page