Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Home made laundry soap never run out again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Home made laundry soap never run out again Next Topic
Page: of 2

MTwoman
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Marti
bond colorado
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  05:18:29 AM  Show Profile
1 Bar fels naptha
1 1/2 Cup Borax
1 1/2 Cup washing soda
Grate soap
5 gallon bucket

Soap in pot grated with 12 cups of water on medium heat until soap is dissolves. Add Borax and soda, stir until dissolved. Add 8 cups of hot water into 5 gallon bucket add dissolved soap mixture. Stir and add 2 gallons and 12 cups of water. Let stand 24 hours, wisk and enjoy. Works awsome and I never run out of soap anymore. This is to awsome not to share with those willing to try peace.

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I use Zote instead of Fels. Fels is toxic. If you have little ones, becareful of the Borax. If ingested, it is very bad.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Since I've been adding 1/2 cup of washing soda to my laundry as a 'booster' (It seems to help my whites stay white-there's a lot of iron in my water, so they always end up kind of orange if I'm not careful) 1 1/2 cups doesn't seem like much in relation to 5 gallons of water. I suppose, I could always add more to each load if it isn't strong enough.

Think I could use Castile soap instead of Zote/Fels Naptha? I already have a couple bars of that!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I make sort of the same recipe except I use Castile soap and leave it as a powder. I use about 1/2 cup in average load of laundry. I love it! Cleans and softens and smells really good. I use vinegar for the rinse. I noticed that my clothes seem cleaner since I started using this mixture.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I use the powdered version as well but make my own laundry bar soap that has some borax and other things in it. I also put in baking soda since we have very hard water and that helps neutralize the heavy minerals.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I have been making my own "laundry" soap for about 2-months now and I LOVE it!

I use my own handcrafted soap for the shavings----this last batch I made is Apple scented.

I was a little worried about how clean my wash would come out, but I am very, very pleased and the wash is soooo soft now.

As long as I make handcrafted soap I am never going to buy laundry detergent again, I am going to make my own-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  1:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marti. You're right. It IS awesome!

I use the dry formula too (with Zote and handmade soap), but I did increase the formula to a 2:1:1 ratio. That is, 2 parts grated soap to 1 part borax and 1 part washing soda.

I actually recorded each use of the laundry soap to come up with a cost per load and here is what I found:

Last batch was made on November 29, 2010, with 2:1:1 ratio. I used 1/2 bar of Zote to get about 4 cups grated soap. Then I added 2 c. borax and 2 c. soda.

1/2 bar Zote: 49 cents
2c. washing soda (estimated): 1.67
2c. borax: 1.00
-----------------------------------
Total batch cost (estimated)= 3.16

Using a front loading machine, I was able to make 50 loads using 1-2 Tablespoons per load. Thus, each load cost a whopping SIX CENTS! If you made the wet version, it may also be possible that it would be less per load. I will probably try that next. :0D

:0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Edited by - msdoolittle on Jan 05 2011 1:48:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:24:12 PM  Show Profile
not to sound totally stupid but what is washing soda????????
thx!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:31:08 PM  Show Profile
No, Margo, it's not a dumb question! It is sodium carbonate (BAKING soda is sodium BIcarbonate)AKA washing soda. Here is a definition from Wikipedia:

In domestic use, it is used as a water softener during laundry. It competes with the ions magnesium and calcium in hard water and prevents them from bonding with the detergent being used. Without using washing soda, additional detergent is needed to soak up the magnesium and calcium ions. Called Washing Soda, Soda crystals or Sal Soda[3] in the detergent section of stores, it effectively removes oil, grease, and alcohol stains. Sodium carbonate is also used as a descaling agent in boilers such as found in coffee pots, espresso machines, etc.[citation needed]

I was going to pull up some information for you on Arm & Hammer's website, but right now it is not working. Anyhoo, around here, it runs about 4.79 for a big box. I do believe that you can get coupons thru Arm and Hammer's site when it is working properly.

Also ladies, if you will call the number on the 20 mule team borax box, they will send you a nice booklet of cleaning tips with borax and coupons!!!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:31:26 PM  Show Profile
I, too, would like to know what washing soda is. I know the one program called 19 Kids and Counting have their own washing detergent that they make and always wondered how well it'd work.

Wonder if you ladies have something you use to make whites whiter other than bleach? I also use vinegar for my rinse, but use liquid fabric softener when my hubby figures out I'm not using it :).

Also, am wondering how good it makes the laundry smell. I'm just curious, but my guess is it depends on what bar soap you use?

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I don't know about a whitener...the sun really bleaches out my whites well! I use vinegar for a softener and deoderizer when needed.

As far as the smell, there is none...at least not with what I use. Even though Zote has citronella scent, it does not leave it in the clothes. I have become very sensitive to artificial scents since using this soap. i can't even walk down the laundry aisle without my nose swelling shut!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  10:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Ladies who make this powdered homemade laundry soap.... WHAT temp do you wash your laundry in...?? warm, cold, or hot or all of the above with this homemade soap??
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  03:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Very good question!!!!!!!!!! i use cold water whenever possible so am anxious to see answers!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I use a warm cycle because I use the powder. I haven't really ever tried it on cold, and it may do just fine; just never tried it :)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I made my first batch of powdered a few months ago. It seems to work just fine. I was worried that it might not dissolve in cold water so I mixed it in a little bit of hot water first. I have found that I really don't need to do that. I have a front loading washer and most loads only require 1 TBS. The recipe makes a little over 12 Lbs of soap . I made the batch late summer and i still have about 1/2 a box . I have vowed next batch I will keep track of cost /uses to see how cost effective it is. I do now pay attention to how much I put in, keep a TBS in the pail, I know I was using way too much of the store bought, I just dumped it in.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:14:26 PM  Show Profile
I once posted a recipe for laundry detergent that was similiar though it had washing soda in it,now I make the same detergent except I use my homemade castille soap or recommend Dr.Bronner's castille soap instead of the fels naptha.
Borax is a great addition to a load of laundry to deodorize but be careful to use cool or warm water as opposed to hot when washing colors because it can bleach out your color when used with hot water,it gets partially converted to hydrogen peroxide at high temperatures.
I also make another laundry soap which is a good gentle wash or great for your bedclothes (sheets and blankets) when you want a nice fragrance to linger,I use a basic homemade castille soap in it but the Dr.Bronners Lavendar bar makes a good substitution,I may have posted this recipe before some time ago,excuse the repeat if I have already posted this,this will make about forty ounces of soap,I use vinegar bottles as containers.

40 ounces water
10 ounces castille soap,grated
20 drops essential oil of choice,if desired (I use Lavendar or Patchouli)

In top of double boiler,combine water and grated soap,gently heat until the soap has melted andthe liquid is clear and runny,add essential oil,blend well,pour into clean containers.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  2:29:16 PM  Show Profile
It's going to be 'bye bye' to our Gain laundry detergent once it's gone! I'm going to our local Ace and purchase all the ingredients to do my own laundry soap. I've always blamed female sensitivity and irritation issues to laundry detergent products with all it's dyes and scents. Will be anxious to see how this stuff works.

Unless something practically stands on it's own, I wash ( or 'warsh' depending on what your Momma called it :) ) everything in cold to save $$. I've used vinegar for the rinse for a few months and just LOVE it's cleaning and softening abilities - and it's just pennies per use.

I looked up the Duggar's recipe and will try that first, but will break the recipe in half just to be sure that the gel recipe works first with our front load washer. If not, I'll do the powder version.

Either way, all the reviews I've read about all the ingredients absolutely swear by these soaps.......I'm so excited!

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Kyfarmchick
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Deborah
Bonnieville KY
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  12:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I have been making my laudry soap for a year or so now and love it. The time it takes to make it is minimal, the savings are great, and the clothes are clean. What else can you ask for right? I started out with a liquid recipe, but after the first couple of batches went to this dry recipe. I too use the vinegar rinse. On occasion I have added a couple of drops of essential oil to the mix as well.

A Bend in the road, is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn.

Farmgirl Sister #2476

http://toddfarms.blogspot.com/

www.centralkentuckymomstown.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile
I have been making my own soap for more years than I can remember with no problems.
My girls now make their own soap too. One suggestion ... use white vinegar as a fabric
softner ! Never smells, keeps static cling away and makes things soft.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited about using this laundry soap recipe! DH and I went to our local WalMart and all they had was the Borax. So, I then went today to Meijer's and they had it all. All total it may come to about 9 buckeroos. I also looked into the essential oils and they're about $2 a bottle and come in so many nifty fragrances. I'm not necessarily a scent oriented person as I prefer mother nature's smell, but once in awhile it'd be nice to have certain things smell good. :)

More than anything, I want to see how far one batch will cost versus what we were spending on store bought laundry soap.

I hate to waste 'good' laundry detergent, but I'm so tempted to just pitch my Gain out. I even used a bit more than I normally do so I can get rid of it quicker, but then wouldn't ya know......DH asked how much I used after he saw that our front loader was full of suds! Busted!

On the plus side, DH is also anxious to see what our savings will be. And my daughter, who is as about as frugal, organic and thrifty as they come, is on the same page about using this. Yeah!

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:53:09 PM  Show Profile
I've been making dry detergent for over a year and it works great. When I get free samples of liquid detergent, I put them in a bottle (2 parts water/1 part liquid detergent) and use it as a spot treatment. Just squirt some directly on any spots, add to front loader with my homemade dry detergent and spots are gone. Karen, maybe you can use up your Gain this way.
Go to Top of Page

lifesapeach
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Pam
Frankfort OH
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! I can't wait to give this a try. I have spent a fortune on laundry detergent.
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  9:27:24 PM  Show Profile
woo hoo i finally located washing soda here in southern California. Now I cant wait to make some laundry detergent!! I have wanted to try this for such a long time!!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  10:10:10 PM  Show Profile
My daughter came out with the empty juice bottle from the laundry room today saying... mom we need more soap. I just went to my bucket, stirred it up, put it in the bottle, added water and.... laundry soap. It was a satisfying moment. And SO much cheaper. We are still working on the same bucket and it's been at least 6 months or more. We will be using it for at least another 6 months or longer.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  12:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to try this. And from what I am reading here, it is okay to use in a front loading machine?? Thanks for all the great ideas. I am trying to decide whether I want to try the liquid or powder first!!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Yep Yep DS (17 yrs ) has declared its GREAT!!! and to not buy anymore of the plastic bottled kind becoz we have to recycle them 45 minutes away, not to mention how much they cost (my input). I sent some to 3 other friends and they are so excited and just rave over the way the whol house smells SOOOOO grood. Must try for eveyone. One bar of Fels/Castile/Zotes to 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of Washing Powder Grate bar soap then add to the powders. I put it in food processor so it is very fine and will desolve all the way faster. Try it!! Your are gonna like it.... Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Home made laundry soap never run out again Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page