KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile
My husband filled our freezer with fresh beef! I am in desperate need of ways to use it all up! In our "box" type freezer we have 1/2 of it full of ground beef, and the rest is full of steaks, and roasts. I am not a big fan of beef, but am committed this year to use it up! If you have any ideas or recipies please share them! I don't know what to do with all of it!! Thanks!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kelly. I miss you. I hope you had a great Christmas. How about all that snow?

Do you have the Pioneer Woman's cookbook? She has got THE best pot roast recipe ever. That's all I make anymore with my roasts from my cow. It's so easy and oh so yummy. She also has lots of good beef recipes in her book and on her blog. I made a Shepaherd's Pie the other day with some sirloin steak. I just cut it up really fine. It was really good. I make my own beef broth too with all the bones. Really good.

I am going to have my heifer butchered in March when Mazie has her calf. I have alot of burger left from the steer last year and that's about all. I hope Mazie has a bull.

Happy new year!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
We use a lot of beef to make cassaroles and meatballs to go with noodles and rice. You can also make homemade hot pockets with pizza dough.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Meatloaf for the ground beef. Try it with different seasonings; taco, Swedish meatball, Italian.
Stews and soup can make it a part of whole meals.
We found recipes for seasonings and made some ground beef into breakfast sausage and a kind of summer sausage that was great.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Jan 03 2011 09:43:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  10:36:21 AM  Show Profile
I second Kristin on the Pioneer Woman. She has a whiskey cream sauce that I put over hamburger steaks and it was to die for! And you can't go wrong with her pot roast.
Definetly go for casseroles, meatloafs and such if your not a big beef fan. You can disguise the taste with seasonings. You can slice steaks thin against the grain and use it for beef and broccoli.

Here's a great taco soup recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

This is a good stew recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/cowboy-stew-recipe/index.html

This is a good pulled beef (instead of pork) recipe- I really like the homeade BBQ sauce with it:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotbarbecue/r/bl105c15.htm

This is my favorite stroganoff recipe:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/beefstroganoffrecipes/r/bln587.htm

This is our 'redneck' (hehe) family recipe:
1 lb hamburger meat- cooked and drained
Onion diced and cooked w/ hamburger meat
2 cans french style green beanes- drained
6-8 slices american cheese- enough to cover
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
Tater tots (yep, I said tater tots!)

Layer everything in that order in a 9X13 casserole pan. Place the tater tots on top- I get anal and stand each one up in nice rows or lay them down all lined up in a row but you could just throw them on there too. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30-1hr. The goal is for everything to be bubbly and for the tater tots to get browned. If the tater tots are browned, but everythign isn't bubbly yet, just put some foil on the tater tots to keep them from getting over done and cook until bubbly.
I love eating this with bread and butter. Yum!

"Beef. Its whats for dinner."
Hehe...sorry, its the rancher in me.

*If you need more recipes, just holler. We live on beef!*

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~

Edited by - cntrygrl on Jan 03 2011 10:37:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  10:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Try your meatloaf with bbq sauce instead of ketchup. That's a big hit with my family!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the tips! (no pun intended HEHE) Kris, I miss you too! We had a busy holiday! Just got back from Disney World with Abby and Sam, we had a blast! It was a nice break from the cold. I did however, love the snow! We enjoyed it while it was here. I need to find that cookbook, I will go and check MCKays, they have tons of used books.

Kelly #238

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We make a lot of things with beef. We do pot roasts and with hamburger we do meat loaf, meat sauce for spaghetti, scrambled hamburger for a tacos, pan cooked hamburger paties. I am sure there are some nice steaks and such in there that will probably do nicely with a simple salt and pepper rub before cooking. Yum! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:52:03 PM  Show Profile
great topic... I'm taking notes:)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile
Yes it is a great topic. I'm taking notes too.
Tommie, your recipes sound delicious! I think I'll try one this weekend.
Comfort Food Season is here...

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  6:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I made Balsamic Pan Fried Rib Eyes and they were fantastic! They had the bone-in so I cut it off, (for the kids sake). They whole family loved it!I also made Julia Child's scalloped potato it was good too. i hope to "beef" up my cooking this year, sort of a New Years resolution, I tend to get in a rut and make the same things over and over.

Kelly #238

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Kelly,

Here's one of my favorites: Hamburger Soup
1-2 lbs of ground beef (brown this with diced onion)
* 2-3 cans veg-all or you can add your favorite veggies as long as they have been cooked (about four cups veg)
*1 large can beef broth (or 3-4 beef boullion cubes)
* 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
* 1 lg (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
After the beef has been browned with the onion...drain off any fat. Now simply add all of the starred ingredients.If you used the
boullion cubes add water (1 cup per cube). I always add more broth as my crew likes it really soupy.lol Simmer for 30 minutes then
add a half stick of butter.Season to taste. This is such a simple recipe and kids love it!

"We were given: Two hands to hold. Two legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
Source Unknown
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  08:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
AuntPammy,

We use the very same recipe at our house ~ but we call it "Stir It". Once my mom was visiting me and she had a pot of it cooking on the stove and when I asked her what it was called she said ~ (Drum Roll please). "Stir It, so we call is Stir It all the time now. It is very very good no matter what it is called.
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  08:36:22 AM  Show Profile
This recipe is exactly how my Mom used to make "Hamburger Stew" when we were kids. After it was done cooking on the stove she would mix up some bisquick "drop biscuits" (recipe on the box) and put them on top of the stew & put the whole thing in the oven to cook the biscuits. We kids used to like to sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of our serving. We're a beef family here too. Lots of meatloaf, pasta bakes with ground beef, tacos and sloppy joes for the ground beef & I love to put a roast in the oven or crock pot. Cut up some of the steaks or roast for stew meat or into strips for stir fries & fajitas!!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes Karen, comfort food season is here....and my hips need it to be gone SOON!
:)

*And the 'redneck' recipe I posted earlier is called tater tot casserole. Forgot to put that on there. Oops!*

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~

Edited by - cntrygrl on Jan 05 2011 2:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by AuntPammy

Kelly,

Here's one of my favorites: Hamburger Soup
1-2 lbs of ground beef (brown this with diced onion)
* 2-3 cans veg-all or you can add your favorite veggies as long as they have been cooked (about four cups veg)
*1 large can beef broth (or 3-4 beef boullion cubes)
* 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
* 1 lg (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
After the beef has been browned with the onion...drain off any fat. Now simply add all of the starred ingredients.If you used the
boullion cubes add water (1 cup per cube). I always add more broth as my crew likes it really soupy.lol Simmer for 30 minutes then
add a half stick of butter.Season to taste. This is such a simple recipe and kids love it!

"We were given: Two hands to hold. Two legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."

add some macaroni elbows or shells! used to make a huge pot of hamburger helper veg soup almost the same as your from scratch-hubby loved it!!!!!! scratch ingredients are of course better!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Ground beef makes a great hearty spaghetti sauce, and (I hate to type it), Manwich is great, or you can make your own equivalent. And there are 101 meatloaves you can come up with. My husband ALWAYS loves a meatloaf.

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Meatloaf..... Well, my husband has bad memories of meatloaf, evidentally his mother forced it on him. I like it with baked potatos, thats how my mom fixed it, and she always made me a small one without onions! I will need to research some new age meatloaf recipes. Thanks for all the help! Last night i made penne alla vodka with browned meat, tonight we took a break and i fried some chicken, and my 7 yr old daughter made the best risotto. Back to beef tomorrow!~

Kelly #238

Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned french dip sandwiches yet! My mom puts a tough cut of beef (rump roast?) in the crock pot with a packet of dried onion soup and lets it cook all day until it falls apart. Then she shreds it with forks, piles it onto soft french bread, and serves with a little bowl of the jus. SO GOOD! The dog gets our leftover jus on his dry dog food, so he loves it too! Lol...

I'm always at a loss for what to do with beef, too. Beef barley vegetable stew is my fall-back recipe. You could also make a big pot of beef stock if you've got any bones. Just roast them in the oven and them simmer them in water. You don't need to add carrots and onions and celery, but you could.

Ground beef is always good for tacos and you could use it (or any other kind of beef) for shepherd's pie, too. Slow-cooked beef in a sauce of tomato paste (don't add water!) and taco seasonings in the crock pot would also be fantastic (and more authentic) for tacos. You could always concoct your own hamburger helper-style dinners, too.

Good luck!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Kelly,

We raise our own beef too and when faced with a full freezer, I often forget how blessed I am! I don't think there is anything I haven't done with beef! One of our latest favorites is called hobos. In short, here's the recipes:
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. onion soup mix
2 t. worchestershire sauce - mix well and form into 4 patties.
(HINT: If you will leave an indention in your patty - imagine laying a hard-boiled egg in the top, it will puff up while cooking to help you know when it's done and prevent all of that squeezing on the grill.)
You will place each patty on a piece of foil large enough to fold up and over to seal completely. To the top of the patty, you can add sliced onion, thinly sliced carrots, potatoes, celery, any vegetable your heart desires. Sometimes I top this with a dash of seasoned salt. The patties are seasoned, but the vegetables are not. They will cook together in their own juices. Just make sure everything is sliced thin enough to cook thoroughly - say no thicker than about 1/4 inch. After the patties are topped to your satisfaction, fold them up securely, place on a baking sheet and bake! I cook these at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.
Because they are really a meal in one, I usually just add something green - a salad or broccoli - something light. And, if I have it, and because the oven is already hot, roasted asparagus is great too. The best part is they are all individually wrapped in their little foil bundles, so no pans to wash! :)

I have recipes for porcuppines (meatballs with rice in tomato sause) sweet and sour meatballs, soup, chili, taco casseroles, meat pies, and recipes for steaks too - stir-fry over wild rice (not the Asian version) and my great sweet & spicy invention that uses apple jelly and chipotle peppers - fit for venison too. I won't fill up the post, but if you (or anyone else) wants these recipes, just send me an e-mail and I'll get them posted.

Good cooking!
Holly G
Farmgirl #2513

Be fruitful today!
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:10:31 PM  Show Profile
great ideas.. thanks!
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  04:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Holly! Those hobos sound awesome!
Sarah, the french dips sound so easy and yumm, I think I will try that this week.
Haven't had to cook all weekend, so we are ready for some homecooked dinners!

Kelly #238

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ok I need Help!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page