sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Iam new to the group, but a true blue born and raised farm girl!! We live on 3 acres about 7 miles from town and are raising Saanen milk goats. My daughter and sons show horses. We also have chickens, rabbits, ducks, dogs and cats!!! Your typical farm zoo! I wouldn.t trade it for the world. I am looking forward to hearing from some new found friends to share tips and ideas, and of course the farm girl dreams. My husband and I are planning on starting a small home dairy with our goats in the near future. We love the milk and the goats are just so loving that you want to be around them all time. Of course we always plant a garden and can and all of that too. I hope to hear from all of you, especially those of you into dairy goats as I am a newcomer to this field, only been milking about a year now.I live in Central Illinois and hope to hear from you all soon.

God Bless and keep you all.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  12:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary!! The goats I had for years and years were mostly Saanens! They are my favorite breed of dairy goats and always will be. When I got my cow in October I sold the goats..it was sure hard to see them leave..I love their personalities. I did make sure each went to a wonderful family home though, and some got to stay together.
It will be fun to get to know you here! I know we have other IL gals too so hopefully you can join a farmgirl chapter near you and get to know some in person too.
I am glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile
hi mary and welcome! ha! i've had ONE goat during my lifetime .. when we lived in the foothills of Colorado. have NO IDEA what kind he was .. other than CUTE! we named him TROLL (after the three billy-goats gruff). i was the 'prop person' for our local theatre group and i had to find a 'lady goat' .. got out the mountain newspaper .. and sure enough .. i found a farm that sold goats .. i drove up the mountain, picked a girl goat out .. then .. the lady selling her to me mentioned something .. ohhhhh .. about MILKING the goat ... i think my response was: SAY WHAT??? TOUCH THOSE??? (NOW .. mind you i was born and raised in the streets of Washington, D.C. and had JUST moved to the mountains on a small farm. (we had a horse, a pony, a goat, a rabbit, cats, various and asundry birds (various and assundry cuz' we had cats!!), fish, two ducks (rock and roll) .. two olde english sheepdogs and usually a litter of 10 to 12 puppies! ... and aracauna chickens .. ohhhhh .. and i'm probaby leaving out a critter or two) ..

well .. needless to say .. i left with a "he" goat .. and in the play .. Lady Astor the Goat was changed to Lord Aster!

Troll was so dear .. the girls kept him like a puppy .. he'd butt the door open with his gnarly little twisted horns .. come in .. eat the plants .. poop .. and back out the door again! what fun days!

keep us up to date on all your goat stories!!! xox

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary and welcome! We are practically neighbors..There is another near local farm girl in Farmer City~~
Glad you found us..maybe we Central Illinois gals need to have a "gathering" !
Jan

Edited by - theherblady on Jun 16 2006 12:46:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  1:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great welcome all. I will post plenty of our "goatie tales" As we raised our very first goat baby in the houes this year it was a comic book in the making most of the time. I have three kids, 1 girl who is 11, and two boys, 5 and 2. So between them and the baby goats it gets rather interesting at times. The one we raised in the house, was born in late January to a first time Mom who just didn't have enough milk for the little guy. So we brought him in at 2 days old, and the kids named him Jasper, "the friendly goat!!" After being in his "room" (the laundry room) for the first day, when he cried the first night, my older son and my daughter got up and carried him to bed. Do you believe that goat slept with them in bed, for the entire 3 weeks he was an inside goat! He also had the run of the house because he figured out within 2 days that if he 'pottied' in the house that he got put in his room, but if he went to the door and out with the dogs that everyone loved and oohed and ahed over him as soon as he 'did his business'. So he never did make a mess in the house after the first day. He is now about a 45lb whether(no longer a billy!) and enjoys visiting in the house, and jumping on the couch and laying down for a nap whenever he can get by with it. He is a doll. There is nothing better than a loving goat!! Hope to here some great stories from you all, and maybe will meet locals sometime in future.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary! I think your story about Jasper, the Friendly Goat is a hoot! We had one goat when I was younger - a Nubian named Alfie.
Looking forward to more goat tales!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  9:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary and welcome! I raised my first baby goat in the house too - he is still in the house and thinks he is a dog too, it is too funny. His name is Billy Bahh Bahh - I love the name Jasper.
Be sure to get in on our teacup and saucer exchange forum and be sure to list what you collect in the Collector's Treasure Chest forum.
You will love all the gals here - it is a great group - so much to learn and to share!
Be sure to post pictures of your little goat on Barnyard Buddies forum!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  11:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary, Welcome to the Mary Jane's Farm, the Petticote Junction of the Internet! Love that you found us here. I love your story about Jasper the Friendly Goat. Very clever use of the name!! One of my good friends here...Kathy who lives in the Enchanted Woods, has a little goat who is her sweet inside baby for the moment too. Billy Bah Bah. You will find so many kindred spirits here! I live in Virginia now, but was raised in Central Illinois and drove through Manito many times between Jacksonville and Peoria. If you can, find your central Illinois Farmgirl Chapter and join up! Again, welcome, enjoy, join in!

Everyone's Aunt George
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forum. Loved the story of Jasper.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Mary,
That's a great story, but also for me, very interesting. I never realized how easily goats adapted like that, have never been around them. All this time I've been reading through the forum and I never picked up on that, so you see, there's something new to learn all the time. Welcome to the forum, it will be fun to hear more stories like that one from your slice of heaven. I'm in St. Louis just across the river, so if you are ever headed this way, give me a hollar and it would be nice to meet you - and any of the other farmgirls passing through this section of the country. Blessings on your new adventure with the goats.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again guys. The stories seem to be endless around here! I do believe that our little Jasper needs his own tv show! We had to put a new motor and transmission in our truck this spring, and luckily my husband is very handy with these things. Jasper decided after watching for a couple hours that my husband needed some help whenever he would crawl under the truck to do anything, so Jasper would get down on his knees and crawl right underneath and lay down next to him. He even managed to confiscate a couple tools here and there, and then had a nice game of try and catch me with the kids and I. He never ceases to amaze me though. I have never been around a goat that is soo loving. This goat will lay down in your lap, and lay his head on youtr chest, and then just close his eyes and not move for as long as you can stand having a 40 lb goat in your lap. He just loves the hugs and kisses. I am going to try and post a couple pictures of him, I haven't figured out how yet, but will look into it. I have one of my daughter and him. He was sitting on the pony! The other I will post is of him when he was just a couple hours old, giving kisses to my sons. My other goats are very sweet, but he just takes the cake. We are looking forward to more babies in August, and I have just started experimenting with making cheese and soon soap from the milk. So far I think the cheese is wonderful. I have only made ricotta and cottage cheese, but both were very good. Hope to here more from you all soon. Will try to post pics today.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  12:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey, does any one know exactly how to post pics in a message? I cannot seem to find a help topic on it. If anyone could help, I will post pics of the baby goat. Thanks
Mary

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  1:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary~~ Go to the "Support" section under "technical support" for some instructions~~ I still cant figure out how to get the pic inserted on the forum ..but I did figure out how to get a link to the photo~~
Hope that helps~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  1:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary -- welcome!!! I know where Manito is! My ex's parents lived there when he was young. His dad was superintendent of schools. Beautiful little town. So glad that you found us!!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  4:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Hello Mary,
I am new here. I absolutely loved your story about Jasper. I have potty trained a bunny and a farret, but never thought about a goat..how neat!!! ...mannnn now I might want a goat around my place too!!! I always loved their personalities and my oldest always wanted a pygmy and I love them ..but wasn't sure. But your stories and other stories here make them seem so much a needed part of the farm expierence!!! Anyway I hope you are able to post some pictures. All the best in your new dairy endeavours.
Til Next Time...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, I have been working on getting our website going, so that I can post pics and all. I now have the home page started and am getting ready to put up a picture page today. Hopefully this link works okay. Someone please let me know if it works and how the site is shaping up in the next couple weeks. Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, we just added a new goat to the herd. This time a Registered Nubian Doe. Her name is Mickey. She is the sweetest thing, but with the loudest MAAA you have ever heard. The rest of my goats looked at her like they were trying to figure out exactly what she was when they first heard her. She almost sounds like a cow!! But she is a doll. Will post pics on the website ASAP. Hope everyone is doing well.
Mary
http://www.geocities.com/sandburs03/index.html

Edited by - sandburs03 on Jun 29 2006 11:05:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

GreenStreet162
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Randi
Ruston LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Hello! My name is Randi. Sorry it took so long to get logged in. I am a displaced farm girl but when there I raised chickens, turkeys, pigs,ducks, have had sheep with the desire to spin, goats, berries,fruit trees,vegetable & flower garden. I joined the charm square swap and I do quilt, novice knitter want to make rugs,ruching flowers for lapel pins(just started) and I love to cook. I have a sophomore daughter who plays in the high school marching/jazz band.Currently we live in an apt but it's just a bump in our journey, Thanks for the welcome.

Randi
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary! Welcome aboard!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  12:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary! I am sure that you will love it here. Everyone is so great. I am just a farmgirl at heart, as I haven't had much opportunity for my dream farm life. Ahh, but one of these days! Melissa

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
http://melissac.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
http://www.freewebs.com/lawsec03
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  9:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello Randi. welcome to the group.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary and Randi!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  7:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Randi,
Welcome! Sounds like you have so much knowledge already!! (means I can pester you too!! lol ) I am sorry for the "bump" in your road but hope it all works out wonderfully in the end!!
In the next 2-3 years I should be on my dream farm of about 15 acres with fruit trees and berries, a milk cow, maybe a horse or pony for the kids, some banties, a bee hive, and a big garden!! Until then I just run around here reading and pestering others for knowledge!
So glad that you joined and I look forward to seeing you "around"!

Til Then,
Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  8:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Randi!! How fun..we are getting so many new gals lately! You will fit right in here!! I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,
Welcome, you will enjoy being a part of this fun forum.

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello to everyone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page