Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Kitchen floor (BEFORE and AFTER) pics :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kitchen floor (BEFORE and AFTER) pics :) Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm super psyched. My dear mom, for Christmas, bought us a new kitchen floor. She said, "that baby can't walk around on that old floor--it's just awful!" and, it truly is...it's those old tiles that stick and they look like they fell off a Duran Duran album in 1982--hideous--and they've broken up in some places, and my husband spilled a whole container of bacon grease a few months back...don't get me started!!! We've never had the money to change it, really, and when we did, couldn't find anything that we liked enough to shell the dough out. Last year, we were determined to change it, found a floor only to have them discontinue it a month later! We wanted to take the kitchen back to the original 1920's era in which the house was built, even though the kitchen was added on in the 1950's. I have a nice blend of kitschy 1920's-1950's era decorative kitchen stuff so it will blend nicely with the black and white squares we've chosen.

Here is the floor we've picked. It's made by a company called Tarkett, and it's called a "fiberfloor" and it has a lifetime warranty (with 4 dogs and a kiddo, I think we need it!).
http://www.tarkettna.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&sku=38041

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 14 2011 09:13:35 AM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile
very nice, lucky you, what is the tile made out of? we need pics after its down with all your cute stuff up. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile
I wish I would have taken a before/after shot! The floor is a 4 part system, with the actual "flooring" being a foam sheet with the embossed pattern/design and color. The way they seal the floor, it becomes rock hard, like hard wood, but is quiet and warm underfoot. My husband says they're working now, so I'm hopeful for a brand new kitchen when I get home!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile
That is very exciting and the floor your picked should fit a 1920's look. Will be looking for the picture when its all done.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Now that is too cool. I love the black and white and your desire to go back to the '20's!! I can't wait to see photos of the finished product. How kind of your mom and how exciting for you!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:21:55 AM  Show Profile
My mom is the best, Mary Beth, and not just because she's so generous. She's just my best friend, ever.

I absolutely love the 20's and 30's, when kitchens started getting more user friendly. My most recent purchase was a 1920's Sellers brand chimney cabinet for my pantry. It's made my little kitchen SO much more functional! With the addition of an antique plate wrack and an antique, round drop-leaf table, we should be in business!!!

The only problem now, is finding a paint color for the walls. Normally, I would have done this before the floor, but mom wanted it done asap :) And, true to my nature, I'm having trouble finding the right color scheme. While everything is moved out, I'd love to get that accomplished, but it's probably going to be this weekend or later.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I like that. Very nice. And what a great mom! A Christmas gift you actually need. Ar ey'all doing it yourself? I hope you can post some pics when it's all done.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - that sounds wonderful - I love the 20's and 30's too, that type of floor sounds perfect for my house too, will have to check it out. Your mom sounds like a great lady - you are lucky!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful! I remember a worn kitchen floor that just wouldn't come clean no matter how hard I tried. How exciting to have the change you wanted as a gift. It is true something like that needs to be done as soon as possible to bar complications. I can just see you smiling through the coming years when you see it and the change it makes and thinking of Mom. What colors are you considering to go with that time frame? I know my Mom's kitchen was a bright and cheery yellow when I was a kid so that sounds 50's to me.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile
It's true, Kristin. Besides all the donations folks made in my name to charities (in lieu of material gifts) this one is a favorite! We did the "demolition" to tear up the subfloor and all the yuck on top of it--underneath was this old, avacado colored linoleum. Most of me said, "why on EARTH did you cover this up with THIS horrible stuff????"

Amy Grace, this floor is kindof the "new age" of flooring. The company is eco-responsible, and the flooring guys where we got it said they are actually doing away with the vinyl sheets and other types of flooring (other than laminate) because of all the problems they experience down the road (yellowing, curling, mold issues). Check out the link I posted and look at the choices. The floor that I chose (the French Marble) also came in a lovely dove gray and white, and a really lovely taupe and white. I could have gone either way, but I had my heart set on the black and white and it was just perfect. Just soft enough, the black, that it wasn't too optic in the room and the squares are a nice size, so it's not too big a pattern, either. They actually recommend this flooring for high humidity areas, too.

I will gladly post some pictures. I'm super excited to see what's happened when I get home!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Yep, Cindy Lou, that was mine. And after a time, I simply stopped caring about and didn't enjoy my kitchen very much--which is crazy, because I pride myself on being a good cook! I've lived with the old floor for 17 years, so I think it's probably time :) My mom is the best, for sure.

The larger portion of our house is a light, sunny yellow, so I was thinking of going with a yellow-green, trying to compliment some of the cool vintage reds/yellows in our knick knacks and art that I'm keeping. Just to find that "right" one has been tough.

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  2:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonni yellow and green would be a perfect color choice! It's so funny that is what popped into my mind while I was reading you wanted to repaint. Your kitchen will feel brand new. That is so exciting. I am so happy for you. For sure want to see pics of your new floor and then the paint job!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  8:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Good for you sweetie, and I know personally what a great mom you have, Little man sure has been enjoying Little Violets pics , He says pitty and chicken

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  04:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, so happy for you! I have a black and white ceramic tile floor that I put in my kitchen when we bought this house. I love it! My walls are a celery green and my cabinets are black. I have red accents. Sounds like your kitchen will look a lot like mine when you are done. It is my favorite room in my house. Enjoy and post pictures please.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  05:14:57 AM  Show Profile
How's it looking, Jonni? I know what you mean about the right color. It takes me years to find the right colors. I have finally gotten the house the way I like it except the kitchen now. It's the only room that's not green.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  06:08:00 AM  Show Profile
It looks great!!!! I got home around 7 last night from picking up the baby, stopping at the pharmacy, etc...and ran right into the house to see it. Of course, it had already been "christened" by 4 dogs with muddy pawprints, all in a line, but they came right up with the microfibre mop!!! Violet REALLY liked it--she seemed to think it was some sort of hopscotch game :) It's really cool. I didn't take pics last night, but will tonight. The walls are a MESS. And it makes the room look like a downer, but onward and upward! Going to Home Depot on my lunch hour to pick some paint chips. Brought my cheese sammie to eat on the way :)

@Miss Wilma--so sweet about little man looking at Vi's pictures. I can't wait to get the two of them together!

@Marybeth--I'm hoping for some good luck today on the paint front. I gather the chips, then take them home for Jus and I to discuss this evening, get the paint tomorrow and by Thursday and Friday, a new (yellowish-green) kitchen!!!!
@Diane--it does sound like we're going to have a similar kitchen!

@Kris--I lean towards green most often, in my rooms. Whether it's paint for the walls, or accents. Green is a relaxing, soothing color, which is why you find it in most elementary schools!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I know some of you gals asked to see pictures but I'm really so lazy about that!!! But, I did take a pic of how it looked "before" and then how it looked the morning after it was laid down (please ignore the terribly beat up walls. Four (often dirty) dogs and tightly spaced furnishings make some pretty rough looking walls when all is said and done!

Before:

After (taken really early on a very gray day so it's a little dreary looking:

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow! I really like it!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Very nice-really adds to the look!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:41:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what "look", yet, Kathy, but we're getting there, slowly but surely! :) Painting on Sunday, so I'm excited about that--getting my pantry cabinet back in the room, and all the boxes of food out of my bedroom will be a MAJOR plus!!!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile
It looks awesome Jonni - your kitchen looks just like mine furnishings wise(except for the lovely new floor) and we only have one dog but she does make up for that by making exceptional amounts of messes.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jan 14 2011 5:33:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:55:22 PM  Show Profile
i love the floor. looks great. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  7:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey sweetie Now I want to add something to that new kitchen, what do you need. I kinda see what you like so will be looking Love ya

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  05:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good words, girls! Got the first coat of paint on yesterday and I really think we're going to love it! It's sort of a light "mushroom" color--not green, not grey and it catches the light nicely and once the trim is all done, I think it will be glorious!

After the painting is finished, then comes the baseboards (my least favorite part), then the ceiling.

And then, a "christen the kitchen" party!!!!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:12:52 AM  Show Profile
Looks just right! As if it is the original flooring in brand new condition!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  07:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jeannie! I really am loving this floor--and it's so easy to clean up with my micrifiber mop (which is mandatory, seeing that it's raining here, today, and the four dogs have uber muddy feet!) Oh to have the ground frozen again!

The paint just looks awesome with the floor--it's a very warm room, but looks very subtle and makes you feel like you're in another time. Muted. Justin finished up last night, pushed the refridgerator back and it's just beautiful. Such a great color--I can't seem to get a url to show you gals, but when we get stuff back on the walls after putting up the trip, I'll take a pic for sure.

It's amazing what a little paint can do!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kitchen floor (BEFORE and AFTER) pics :) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page