antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you could give me some ups or downs on these and which one you would purchase?

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't have either, but my friend is a book fanatic. When we were considering buying one for dd for christmas, she highly recommended the nook. Her main pro was that she could download books from the library on the nook but not on a kindle.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen the nook but did get a kindle for Christmas. I do enjoy it but don't really like that it doesn't have a light for reading at night - have to buy one that clips on....also, you can't change the screensaver and I really don't like the one that came with it - but I didn't want it just to have a pretty screensaver to look at LOL. It is easy to download books and there are alot of free ones out there

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Starletta, I thought in the description it said it came with a built in lite? Not so?
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile
I received the Kindle that costs $139 and it doesn't have a light...I bought a clip on light that you would use for regular books and so far, that is working fine for me

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  12:03:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a nook and love it. It doesn't have a light eitehr but I bought a clip on one that works very well. The nook also just came out with a color version. I can download books anywhere there is hi fi or wireless and when you go to the store they have even more fun things if you bring your nook in. I have had mine for almost a year and it goes everywhere. I wasn't sure I would like it as I have always loved the feel of a book still do but have very small house and being a teacher too I had to find another way to enjoy a book now i have both ways.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  2:01:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a kindle and really like it, because I can download books anywhere. However, I do get frustrated with amazon on occasion because some publishers delay the release of new books on kindle either days, weeks or even months after the paper editions come out; I think they want to make more money by assuming that someone will buy the more expensive paper copy if they really want to read a hot new book right away. I don't know if this is an issue with B&N's Nook, but if you are someone who wants to read a new releases ASAP, it's worth checking into.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  8:50:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm a total Kindle devotee. I wonder how I ever got along without it. Mine does not have a light, but I think the new models do. If not, my sister purchased a Kindle cover from Amazon last year that had a little light built into it.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  04:58:50 AM  Show Profile
DH got me a Kindle for Christmas and I absolutely love it! I take it everywhere with me. My only complaint is that J. K. Rowling hasn't released her Harry Potter series on it yet :( But I am waiting patiently still :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  4:28:09 PM  Show Profile
I also just got a Kindle for Christmas!!! I love mine! I had bought my mom one too, she is not quite as fanatical as me about hers, but does enjoy it. I have the 3G because my wireless is not dependable.
They do not have backlighting. With the new E-ink that is used, it makes the screen and print very clear, but a back light cannot be used. I bought the Kindle leather cover with the built in light, and like having it, but the only time I have used it was this past week staying at my daughters because she didn't have a lamp next to the bed.
So far, I have put 40 books on it, most of which are free. I am not a current fiction type reader, and I read a variety of genres, so it works for me. If there is a really good book for
$5.00 or under, I don't mind paying that.
One tip I had- I took all my loose change- $26.75 worth, and went to a coinstar machine. I got an Amazon e-certificate and didn't have to pay coinstars fees. That is what I will use for any books I want to pay for.
There are a lot of independent authors on there who will promote their books for free, or 99cents. Some are quite good. There are also a lot of classic for free- I have all the Anne of Green Gables books on there! And there are several outside websites that keep track of daily free books.
The reason that I wanted a Kindle was that a friend of my daughters who is a Computer Whiz said that the Kindle is best, because Amazon has the technology and was the first in E-readers and really stand by their product. It also had a year long warranty. Honestly, I didn't research the other e-readers that much, but I do know that you cannot get books from libraries with the Kindle, which could be a major problem for some people.
Toni, let us know what you get!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  7:30:06 PM  Show Profile
You can get books from the library well here in my neck of the woods on the nook. Barnes and Noble stands by their product as well. My screen has some trouble and they replaced it free. Most of the books I download are free or not very expensive either. I keep mine in leather cover as well. Do let us know what you get Toni. I just love sharing what everyone is reading.

blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  04:13:35 AM  Show Profile
I got the Nook Color!!! Told family I only wanted Barnes & Noble gift cards for Christmas. I really like it a lot. I check the B&N website often for the free books and have gotten some cheap ones as well. Christian Book Distributors also sells ebooks now for Nook.

Good Luck!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  04:29:23 AM  Show Profile
One of the books that I am reading now is: "Letters of a Woman Homesteader", a wonderfully detailed and witty book of a woman who moves to Montana in the early 1900's to help a homesteader out, then decides to homestead on her own piece of land. I am really enjoying it! I have the free version, but there are other versions that may have notes by the author.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  05:10:40 AM  Show Profile
I have had a Kindle for about 6 months. My friend got it for me on EBay. It is AWESOME. SO much so that everyone in the house has dibs on "the next book". My son is an avid reader (6 + young adult books a week!)That was okay when he started, but he's flown through 3 local libraries stock, gone to audiobooks that the library offers as a free service (listentobooks.org) your library participates and your Member # is your pw. SO GREAT! He also started using audible.com and spending his allowance on them, but now...at FREE or really inexpensive rates he can buy the 6-8 books he wants/needs a week. I can't afford to not let him have it whenever he wants....BUT, I am right in the middle of Swiss Family Robinson darn it and I want my Kindle back TODAY. ;o)

I am going to get a new cover with the built in light. A friend just got one of the leather ones from Amazon and it is SWEET! She was like, 'the lights built in' and handed it to me...I couldn't find the silly light. It is SO SHARP and cool. Technology never fails to surprise and delight me, no matter how hard I try to resist!

I was 100% AGAINST reading books in the land of tech.....over that, but still buy A LOT of paper books a year, so I don't have the book-maniacs guilt I was afraid I would.

Rejena

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile
What is everyone reading right now? Maybe we should have an e-reader club here!! We could talk about books we are reading! I just finished the above mentioned book, and am finishing up "Adopting An Abandoned Farm". I just now started A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, which I have in hardcover, but the Kindle version was on sale for $5.00, and so was An Echo in the Bone, which I have not read yet. I have about 40 books that I have put on there, most were free, better get reading!
Rejena- You will love the cover! It works really well, and I like that it is completely hidden and runs off the Kindle. I have the red one.
You sound like me! I always said I would never have an e-reader, but now I love it. I am slowly getting rid of some of my books. I do have my favorites that I would never be able to get rid of, but I should be able to donate quite a few!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading Charlotte Collins a spin off of one of the characters of Pride and Prejudice. My favorite book. I just downloaded the recipe club for the book club here at Mary Janes. Brenda I am like you I have my favorites that I will never be able to get rid of but I have given several away to our church library, local library and dear friends. I was amazed at how much decluttering that did.

Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "Homestead on the Hill" a free book from Amazon. It was very good.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:46:56 AM  Show Profile
I just put that on my Kindle last night, Cathy, can't wait to start it! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:33:25 AM  Show Profile
I received a Kindle for Christmas like so many other people. I did ask for one but am not a convert yet. I am one of those people who when I heard about e-readers I said ¡§NEVER will I own one¡¨. I sort of changed my mind when I made a 5 day trip this past October for an Uncle¡¦s funeral with my mother. I figured there would be some down time for me and that I would need books to keep me company ¡V I took 6 and finished the last one on route home. I planned well and got the books in paperback but still they took up room and I figured with all the other devices I have one that could hold 100¡¦s of books and be smaller than paperbacks might be a good thing to have.

I have downloaded at least 12 books in the time I have had it and felt like a trader using it¡Kguilt, if I must be so bold. I work at a library and I see the decline in reading and it is a sad thing. High school kids come in to ¡§play¡¨ on the computers¡Kunaware that the building is FULL of wonderful stories way more magical than any on-line game. There are families that come in and each have a library card that lets them check out 6 DVD¡¦s ¡V they ALL get 6!!!! I hear some people say that e-readers will bring back reading to some people. I am not so sure and if it does they will not be helping libraries as a whole. Kindle is not currently compatible with the libraries e-books. I unfortunately learned that just days before my Kindle arrived, though my checking out an e-book does not help my local library with its circulation numbers. Had I known this ahead of time I would have gone with the nook. We went to Best Buy and I got to hold and read from almost all of the e-readers and it was a very good experience that showed me which one I like best and without someone watching me the whole time (like at Barnes and Noble ¡V a little privacy please).

I like reading on the Kindle (at this time Kate Morton¡¦s ¡¥Distant Hours¡¦) it is very, very easy on the eyes. I like the easiness of shopping for books (almost too easy. I have bought 2 books by mistake). I miss holding a book. I miss seeing the cover (I am a visual person and the covers art work draws me in). I miss knowing what actual page I am on¡Kmy husband is thinking he made a mistake in getting me one¡Kwonder why ƒº?

I do not adapt to big change very easily. I like what I like and that is it. I may come around I may not. I currently have 68 books checked out waiting to be read while I play around with my Kindle and they are calling my name in a way the wonderful stories I have on the Kindle are not. I am not dismayed by the fact that my Kindle did not come with a light¡Kwhat book does? I have read that people change the screensavers on their Kindle all the time ƒº I have not asked my DH to do that yet but maybe a book cover will help me??? I do not mean to sound so glum about this wonderful device but¡KI am sure I am not the only book devote that is having trouble, am I? So, I did enjoy my time yesterday perusing every known site for a cover for my Kindle ¡V shopping is always good therapy. I am hoping by having a over it will feel more like a book and will be easier to hold. This is the one I have decided on https://www.oberondesign.com/shop/images/products/9543.jpg. Fingers crossed.

I am on Facebook and Amazon has a Kindle fan page and I have learned a lot just reading the postings and most of them are total converts (something like 440,000 people LIKE the page) so I am not counting myself out.

Toni I wish you good luck in deciding which e-reader to go with. Let us know when you get one and how you like it and what you are reading on it ļ.

Happy Reading Everybody!!!

P.S.
Tammy thank you for letting us know about the Charlotte Collins book. I think I have OCD when it comes to P&P spins offs. I started reading them to make conversation with my DH¡¦s aunt who loved everything to do with P&P. Sadly, she died a year ago and the spin offs have become obsession ƒº I think I have at least 8 upstairs waiting to be read..

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  11:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
I am a Pride and Prejudice fanatic. I have probably read every sequel there is. I read Pride and Prejudice at least twice a year. I have an obsession with it....probably like you OCD..

Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile
tammy I am glad I am not the only one here with a touch of OCD when it comes to Pride and Predjudice :-) Ftizwilliam Darcy - Gentleman (Trilogy) by Pamela Aidan is one of my favorite. I have only read a few that were just a waste of time though so I always pick 'em up when I see them :-)

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  2:10:01 PM  Show Profile
Not to throw a wrench in your decision, but I don't know if you know this. If you have an IPhone, IPAD, or Ipod Touch by Apple, you can download the "Kindle" software for free. You can do so much with these devices, not just use as a kindle.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Some of the Blackberrys are compatible with the kindle application also. Unfortunately mine isn't. I just saw they had Droid applications out now too.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  6:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Patiently waiting for my kindle to arrive. My sister got the nook and she likes it but wants to see
what the kindle is like. So we will be doing some comparing. I like the features the kindle offers
but then the nook also offers some nice features wish they could combine the two!! I like the idea
of having an ereader club, especially for those free downloads.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nook or Kindle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page