Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I'm luving venison! Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
We made sloppy joes, chili, cornish pasties, shepherds pie, "philly" cheesesteaks and spaghetti with meat sauce with it! Awesome! Better than beef.
Going to use all my recipes to use it!
Sorry but I'm seriously giddy about how amazing all my recipes adapted to venison and turned out better than the culinary school versions

FarmGirl Sister #123

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Venison is our primary meat (deer and elk) and even though I like a good beefsteak once in awhile, most beef seems so bland compared to vension.

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  8:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Yum! We're not hunters (although I would really like to be!), but a lot of my DH's family and some of our friends are, so I've enjoyed venison stew quite a few times! His uncle goes all the way out to Colorado every year to hunt elk and something else I can't recall at the moment, and every few years he goes hunting caribou in Alaska, too! I don't recall what dishes I have tried with the caribou, but I can tell you that I really love elk sausage! YUM!!! I didn't know you could do so much with venison! Sounds like a great beef alternative! My DH can't do beef anymore. He just asked me last week to stop making beef dishes altogether... I wonder if we can purchase venison anywhere locally? This is hunting country, after all. I'm going to have to check into it! Thank you for the inspiration, Sherry!!! Awesome! Enjoy! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 27 2010 8:45:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We are really enjoying ours too. To some degree we are needing to learn to cook it a bit differently as it is so much more lean than beef. Doug has done steaks twice now and they both left something to be desired. I need a really good marinade sauce. I don't like sauce on my steaks but I think a marinade would be about perfect.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  07:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Alee: Marinades work wonders at tenderizing venison, but I also have a chef's secret to use for steaks to either grill or pan fry....clarified butter! Not only does it help keep it moist and not so dang chewy, but it adds a wonderful flavour without being too "saucy".
Shhhh...don't tell anybody

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  08:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Alee
We marinade our venison steaks in a combo of red wine, a splash of soy sauce, a splash or worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, olive oil(or sesame for an Asian kick), garlic and rosemary. Marinate overnight. Many times I cut it in 2 inch squares & then wrap a piece of bacon around it. Sear on the grill until bacon is browned(or in a cast iron skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter)
But then again, how can anythng be bad when there is bacon involved?
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I'm luving venison! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page