Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 New Year resolution Challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Year resolution Challenge Next Topic  

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about how so many of us make New Years resolurions. How we set ourselves up for failure by setting the bar to high sometimes and fail before January ends! lol. So I have a challenge for my sisters. I am doing instead a "Bucket List" for 2011. You know.. things you want to do before you die. Well I'm thinking short term here.. just for 2011. I am putting them in my journal for 2011 at the very front. As I accomplish each piece on my list I can check them off and see my progress. Are you up to it.? Maybe by posting say 3 of them you may inspire someone else to dream bigger or try something they have never done before! Ok... I'll give you 3 off of mine to get it started...

1. Spend at least one day a month doing for others. eg. working at a food pantry,visiting people in the hospital,taking food to a shut in.

2. Create my art studio and create daily...

3. Take a vacation (Have not done this in a very long time) to New Mexico to take in all the art I can.This will be a new experience as I am now a widow.

What do you have on your bucket list Sisters ?

Hugs...Kristy
"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
Scattered Prairie Gals Chapter
http://www.myhealingthroughartstory.blogspot.com
My studio Blog- http://www.lostcreekstudio.blogspot.com

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:02:57 PM  Show Profile
I wanna do more for others.
And get more involved in church.
Spend more activity time with my kids.
Spend more in prayer with the lord and draw closer to him in is word

Snowed in with nothing to do but bake! I am gonna get soooo faaaaattt. LOLOLOLOLO
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Awesome !! I am adding those to my bucket list as well !! Oh wow...Snowed in ! We have only had a few flurries here in Kansas. Really need to share your snow with us . Lol ! Thank you for responding !!!

Hugs...Kristy
Sis #2339
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
I have decided that I need to get up and exercise more, so I am going to everyday get up and do something I haven't done that day to do that. like put on the exercise tape one day, the next go for a walk. the next do jumping jacks. just something everyday that will help me get up and do, and starting out slow. but everyday add a few minutes to it and then I can not go back , everyday I have to add a few minutes to it. that is my bucket list for this year. I have done everything in my life that I really want to do and I already do the things that some have mentioned above. but it is time for me to do for me and get me back into shape a bit. I need to lose some weight so this is my one thing to do this year. I am hoping by writing it here I will continue with it cause I will have too!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  4:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristy - I love the bucket list a year at a time vs. resolutions. I just read this blog (http://thenonconsumeradvocate.com/) and she mentioned that resolutions are ok if you have a goal - but feel good about yourself, just the way you are and don't try to aspire to someone else's ideas of perfection... My 3 for my yearly bucket list are:

1. Take a vacation with DH - its been a while
2. Enlarge the garden
3. Visit one National Park

Maybe I can combine 1 and 3 - visit the national park with my DH.

I'd also like to clean out the basement, eat better, get organized, etc, etc,... They are all worthy goals - but I can't wait for my vacation and bigger garden. Good luck everyone - hope you have a joyous 2o11!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
All I want for the new year is a fulltime job. The rest I can deal with.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Well my bucket list would be:

1. To strive for better health, exercise, watch what I'm eating, meditation.

2. I'd like to find a P/T job to help us out some.

3. Praying that DH and I can get away for awhile, if only for the weekend.

4. Get back in to my crafting like I use to.

Let's have fun girls!!! Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  6:12:24 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea Kristy! Thanks for sharing.
Here is my bucket list:
1. Continue my exercise program
2. Eat healthy
3. Spend more time with family
4. Stop being lazy and go to church
5. Write more

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Here is mine:

1. Memorize 24 verses (two per month) from the bible
2. Exercise and continue eating healthy
3. Take a mini vacation with my family

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  9:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Okay... I can do this, too! Here are mine:

1) Start "dating" my husband again. I miss that!
2) Enjoy tea time - either a special tea service at home or at a local tea room - with a different friend once a month, every month.
3) Take a class at the extension at the community college - something artsy or something earthy, but either way, definitely fun!
4) Have the courage to try to sell some of my work. Everyone tells me I should, but I feel weird charging for something that was created from my heart - I like giving my creations away instead. I have to get past that, I know. Maybe starting with a barter here and there would be a more attainable goal... we'll see!
5) Break down and buy the tickets to see the Vatican exhibit in Pittsburgh before it leaves in the spring. The guys will just have to go and experience a little culture. It's not going to kill them. Pirates' games every year on our wedding anniversaries don't kill me! They'll survive my stuff, too! As a matter of fact, let's add a musical, a ballet performance, a concert and a chick flick to that list, too - what the heck?

You know, Kristy, this bucket list is a pretty cool idea! I am pretty sure I can accomplish all of these things in the upcoming year! Thank you for the inspiration! 2011 is looking better and brighter by the moment! You ROCK, girl! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Sisters !! I am so tickled to read your posts and see the inspiration flowing. I so love it here at MJF and love seeing new faces so to speak ! Lol ! I have been adding on to my bucket list and I am thinking...you can never do all of what you have on here in one year. Lol! So I need to pick and choose now. Make it realistic. Otherwise I am setting myself up to fail. Ok sisters... I'm thrilled I stepped out on a limb to post this challenge. Thanks for joining in.

Hugs...Kristy
Sis #2339
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  05:46:50 AM  Show Profile
What a good idea! Smaller goals that are realistic. Here goes...
Use the winter to get my craft room in shape.
Finish my little camper in early spring so I can use it this year.
Date night with my Husband, we need to reconnect a little.
Really plan my garden this year, try to grow something new.
Meet some more Farmgirls!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  09:05:06 AM  Show Profile
I have to join you girls in this I have been doing the bucket list seasonal even we have something to look forward too and work hard for.

Year 2011 bucket list my sisters as my witness
1. keep decluttering my storage and my house
2. keep my energy up for the 19th year with my 4-H club {I need to be done but no one to take over}
3. enjoy a game, my deck,cross country skiing out my door, {the simple things that I am so blessed to have}

Thanks for making me post Moonshines Sister#1649
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves." James M. Barrie
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Lots of good ideas - one of my favorites is starting "date night" with DH. Great idea! Reconnecting is always good - especially when things are hectic. And Tea Lady Tammy, I love your saying about tea - very cool. This is great!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Tea Lady(Lorraine)
I am a tealady at heart. Always have been. I have it several times a day and think of having it over conversation with God.
I like date night too. Will have to add that to my list as well.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile
I keep a "bucket list" on my computer desktop. I simply cross them out (strike through) as I complete them. As for resolutions, the only one I really want to accomplish is to completely remove our family from debt (aside from the house payment), and to be better prepared for emergencies and large purchases (propane, which I can now prepay). Outside of that, my smaller ones are too long to list.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  09:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I think my new year resolution will be to NOT buy any more bread. Just make all our bread home made. I want to try new recipes too. I have 350 pounds of grain ordered and will get it in a few weeks. So I will be baking lots of bread.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all: I'd like to tackle organizing all the photos we have taken over the years.
I'd like to make a point of finishing up some unfinished quilting and beading projects and keep up my daily sketchbook journal. There are tons more but those will do. I like the saying "Quilting is hard by the yard but a cinch by the inch". Life takes time. We need to lower our expectations and enjoy each small accomplishment. Good luck

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  01:18:08 AM  Show Profile
my bucket list includes

1. sort through my closet full of pictures. I've purchased photo albums a couple of years ago to sort and put into albums to give my children.

2. Be kinder to my DH.. I am not mean, I've noticed that in the past year my temper has been shorter then it should be.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  04:44:26 AM  Show Profile
My 'bucket list' stays on my fridge. And I have a rule that I acn only add one item to it after I've completed two items on the list. It's fun to see what all gets done around our farm. Right now, it's pretty long, but only because it's individual items to complete one large project. My first quarter 2011 list is:
1) Complete the shop and office (so hubby can work in ONE place, and not three or four!)
2) Complete the raised bed garden (I already have the boards, the bricks and the black plastic barrier, I just have to dig a trench for gray water, build a fence, level the ground........)
3) Clear off the front porch and rework it into a sleeping porch/craft room.
4) Put up the greenhouse dh got me for Christmas, and re-learn to sow seeds.

It'll be a busy busy first three months, but I'm game, because I love every last second on my farm, and all these things are another step towards self-sufficiency mode!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  06:39:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

I think my new year resolution will be to NOT buy any more bread. Just make all our bread home made. Kris

Happiness is simple.

This is a good one Kristin, I love baking bread and ordered a grain mill Monday and should be here next week. I can't wait to start milling my own flour.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a lot of excellent ideas. You all have me thinking...

Okay, my resolutions are:

-To get back to exercising at least 4 days per week. (I'm only down to 2 or 3 per week now so this is manageable for me).
-To be more punctual.
-I like the one about being kinder to DH. I'll add that to my list too.
-Time to get to work on the business plan(s). I have two businesses in mind (not sure, but I think maybe they could overlap), so I'll begin to sketch out 3 business plans: one for each of the two businesses and one for the two businesses as one, working in tandem. Once one of them starts to rise to the top, I'll finish that one. I think I'll apply for a merit badge to keep myself on track with this one (and to earn a badge)!
-I have several book ideas churning inside my head. I will get going on at least one of them in 2011. With everything else going on I don't expect to finish a book this year but it would feel great to begin one.
-Finally, for the hardest one--to cut out popcorn. In 2010 I became a total popcorn-a-holic. Gonna tie one on today (with my own bowl!) and then go cold turkey tomorrow! har snort!
I did this same thing with chocolate 4 years ago. I am still chocolate-free (and I still miss it terribly but have learned to cope without it).

As for the bucket list:

-I have some furniture pieces and home projects that I need to build. I'm designing some of them now.
-Before I go, I want to build a tiny house with my own hands. I've made a pretty ambitious list. Looks like I'd better plan on sticking around for awhile!

Happy New Year!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:44:45 AM  Show Profile
another Idea to the list

one romantic homemade dinner a month.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  07:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Just an update on my goal of sorting through the closet full of pictures.

I sorted the photo albums I have no intention of disassembling and put them in the book case.
The children can decide what to do with them after I'm gone or move into a real small house.

Ater that I set up a 6ft table - the rest have
all been sorted into 4 piles ( one for each child) on a table. I am now in the process of divide and conquer. Sat & Sun sorted then put together oldest sons photo albums put all his extra pictures in an acid free box. The on Monday I had the please of turning custody over to him (he's 30). Monday and Tuesday sorted and did the same thing to #2 son. He lives in another state so I went to the post office got a flat rate box and his are all boxed up and will go in the mail to him today. YEA!! Two down 2 to go. I'll start on #3 son later this week. Soon the table will be clear of that project and I can start on another one

With the shelves I've gained in the closet I've been able to move most of my home canned goods out of boxes stacked on the basement floor and lined up in order of fruits,jams, & veggies. I forgot about some things I had canned woohoo!

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  3:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Just another update. Today is February 10th and I have yet to purchase any bread products from the store. I'm having a blast baking all our breads we use and have given about half away. This month I've learned to work with sourdough and all I can say is I'm hooked. How is everyone else doing?

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Year resolution Challenge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page