Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Tips and Advice for Cooking on a Woodstove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tips and Advice for Cooking on a Woodstove Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I'm looking for any and all information, tips and advice for cooking on a woodstove. We use the woodstove for heat all winter so I'd like to make good use of it all around. I love to hear your experiences.

PS: If anyone knows of a cookbook or similiar dealing with the topic, could you share the info?

FarmGirl Sister #123

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  09:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Growing up we had a wood cookstove for heat, cooking and hot water. I learned to cook and bake on/in it. Breads came out great; cakes could be iffy since we had little, if any, control over the temperature. I know we all ate them anyway, no matter what they looked like.

I would say that the hardest part is to regulate the temperature. Our cook surface was pretty large so we regulated by how far away from the actual fire box we put the pan. My mom always had a big tea kettle on the top. We lived in a log house in Alaska, so very dry. A wood stove is great for simmering stuff. Hope this helps.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
This one is nice and big surface area wise. I do general cooking like pan-frying,saute, boil water etc. I have a cast iron dutch oven but it has a glass top and I'm not sure if I can bake anything in it. We'll see I guess.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  05:15:49 AM  Show Profile
I have done pots of beans on the woodstove, and cooked some pumpkins on it also. When I can venison I put it in a pot of water on the woodstove and let it boil.
I am interested in baking on it, though! That sounds really nifty. I will have to give it a whirl soon. :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tips and Advice for Cooking on a Woodstove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page