Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  2:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone out there in Farmgirl land keep a paper journal? I've been keeping one on and off since I was a girl. I write lots of things in them, lists-recipes-important things- and add bits and pieces of life as well (wrappers, articles, pictures)...

Kim in NC

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile
I do - I have kept paper "notebooks/journals" for over 10 years - I wish I could say since I was a girl, too. How fun that you have those memories to look at! There is something very special to me about the actual act of writing - pen to paper and the tactile feel of the materials - mine are filled with the stuff of everyday life - it sounds like yours are too: drawings, lists, addresses, important things, not important things, profound things, mundane things.....

I find that writing really clears my mind of the strangeness that can clutter up my thinking sometimes.

By the by - Welcome to the 'Connection!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I love journaling and have kept a journal since high school. Wish I still had them all. (I wonder who does?????) I have been sporadic lately..really good about writing and then really bad for awhile. I havn't been good about it this month at all..and I should be writing down how busy I have been...I will love reading that when I am older I bet!
I think it is fun and I agree that it is special to actually put pen to paper like that!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  07:39:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a tendency to go through spurts where I will write everyday for a few months and then....it may be a year before I write again. One thing that has inspired me to keep my journal up-to-date is copying over a diary from the Civil War that was written by a friend of my great-great uncle. Even the most uneventful days were noticed and addressed in his journal. When you think of your own descendants reading about what you think is of merit, it puts a whole new spin on journal keeping.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile
I also journal and have for years. I must admit I have been a little lazy about it lately. I also keep a journal of my favorite quotes. Often writing them in in different color inks or adding little pictures, etc to the journal.When I am not feeling up to par I like to sit down and read all my quotes.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
I have kept a journal since I was about 12. I have most of them still and I keep them in a closet in my sewing room. I love journaling. I haven't written in awhile, but I haven't felt the need to.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been a journaler for over 20 years now. I do not faithfully do it daily but as my life progresses and things come up that I need to think about I find my journal to be both a comfort and a place to figure out what I need to do next. It is a place to write down my thoughts and inspirations and even a place to doodle and figure out a new and tasty recipe or to write down the changes I will make next time I do something. This week it has been my place to develope a basic soap recipe for a company I work for. I have another type of journal that I get out and do faithfully every once in a while for a set period of time and that is called my gratitude journal. Nothing like reminding myself what I have to be grateful for when I feel at odds with the world or my family.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  04:54:14 AM  Show Profile
I try to keep one up, I still have my diaries from childhood and journal from my last pregnacy. I just bought a new journal, I need to start keeping them up, what a gift to pass down!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  07:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see farmgirls journal too! I went through a phase of "art journaling" until I realized that I mostly made a mess. So I opted to make my journal more of a journal-scrapbook with strings and pieces of my daily life in it. I have first sketches of aprons (before I got serious with the graph paper), articles about the deaths of Betty Friedan and Don Knotts (far ends of the spectrum, huh?), reciepts from hte grocery store (to show how much things cost), gas receipts (same reason), tracings of my hand and my girls' hands,... whatever I think is interesting at the time. An older journal has an on-going list of songs I want played at my funeral (husband dear said he's going to have to have intermission because I have so many now).

I have some neat lists from a yahoo group I'm in... things you can stick in journals, words to use (inspiring words, I guess), all kinds of things that make me consider what else might be interesting in my journal, besides my words.

I'd love to share ideas, if anyone wants to.

Cheers-
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful to read what you all keep in your journals! I often write how I feel, how the day went, what I did, etc. I took a break from it for a bit and found I missed it terribly so I'm back at daily loggings or nearly daily-LOL! I like the feel of pen to paper too and I often buy really inexpensive journals at the dollar stores. I love the idea of making my own, but haven't crafted any as of yet. Sometimes my journaling is done on scrapes of paper.
I agree that it can help us sort things out and record our days! I also scribble down poetry and inspirations.
I want to start a gardening journal to track what grew well, what didn't, etc..
I have a home journal for when I redo rooms-with paint colors and finishes and plans.
I want to make a special place for all my journals. They are all over the house tucked here and there.
Have any of you found a good way to store and/or display yours?

Hope everyone is having a great day! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I'd love to hear some of those ideas, and what kind of Yahoo groups are there for journalers? Sounds interesting.

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  09:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Since the dealth of our Granny, I have been journaling, and have been taking time before dinner for my kids to sit at the table and write. Granny was such a wonderful woman, she had so many good experiences, great stories, terrible triumphs over personal hardships...oh how I wish she had written some of it down!
Kate
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Any journalers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page