Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What is your favorite Christmas Tradition?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What is your favorite Christmas Tradition? Next Topic  

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile
When my babies were born I purchased a yearly ornament from Hallmark. I know they weren't really thrilled with the gift, but now that they are grown their eyes light up with the memories of when they received them. They have all thanked me for doing it, and said they will continue the tradition when they have children. When they open them this year my daughter will have 27, my older son will have 23, and my younger son will have 20. This year I bought 3 of the voice Christmas books and will record the stories, so I can read them to my grandbabies ...just in case I'm not there.

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

ladylace
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Donna
Duluth Georgia
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  1:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Cooking. I love to cook for a crowd. And having fudge on the table says it's Christmas. I love for it to be cold. The lights are beautiful. Someone asked what my favorite present was ? I cant think of one.... but what I know is that Christmas brings a song to my heart. I have learned the lesson not to overspend. Hard lesson. Someone told me that since the 3 kings brought 3 gifts. They buy 3 presents. I like that theory. I love having a live tree in the house. I love the lights, the ornaments the kids made in school. I like giving surprise gifts. To see someone smile when they got something they didnt expect is wonderful. I love going to church on Christmas Eve. Getting dressed up and realizing the true reason for the season. And if it aint done by now ... it aint happening. Merry Christmas to all.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  6:29:04 PM  Show Profile
I think my favorite tradition is kind of a newer one. After the kids are in bed and sleeping my hubby and I curl up on the couch with egg nog and whatever left over sweets we can find to watch a little quiet tv. We wind up on the naughty list every year for what we do on the couch after we're all sugared up! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  9:52:34 PM  Show Profile
I love my Christmas tablecloth. I have talked about it before, but here goes..it really is my very favorite tradition.
My husband and I have been married nearly 15 years and this is our 15th Christmas together. I bought a plain oatmeal colored tablecloth that first year and had everyone sign it in ballpoint pen and wrote "our first Christmas" and the year in pen along the edge as well. Then after the holidays are over (usually way way after they are over) I embroider each name in one color for each year...and the year along the edge in the same color. Every year I use a different color. By now it is very colorful and fun. There are several family members who have passed away (both my dad and dad in law and a brother in law) and it is fun to see the kid's signatures go from big and rough and then very grownup looking. I have the kids write their own names and their age under it...babies get their mom's to sign for them....each person who enters our house for any reason on Christmas day has to sign it. Very fun and my kids just love it. I have learned to put a clear plastic tablecloth over it and lift up sections for signing. I would hate to have it ruined by a big grape juice spill at this point. I put it on my kitchen table for Christmas eve and Christmas day only. My daughters both want to do the same when they have their own family some day. I have given tablecloths and several skeins of Christmas colors of embroidery floss and a pack of needles and instructions as wedding gifts before. I guess you could do it on any holiday..even birthdays...but i LOVE doing it on Christmas.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile
I love filling stockings. I collect little things all year and keep them in a special place. Watching everyone getting into their stocking is the most fun for me, especially since the kids are older and the magic is gone. Although Angelas idea of "getting naughty" has it's merits too!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  07:08:34 AM  Show Profile
We had two.
The first I think was self-defense on mom's part. As soon as you got up on Christmas morning you were allowed to get into your stocking. Didn't matter if others were up yet or not. I had an older brother that would sleep until 11 if you let him.
The second was to open one gift on Christmas eve. My sister has passed this down as her daughter so both traditions continue.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile
We did the same stocking thing! It was definitely for self preservation! My youngest sister has always been up by 6am and still is!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile
When my son was little, every Christmas I used to sneak into his room and slip a new stuffed dog (his favorite) under his arm as he gently slept. It was magical for him to wake up to his special gift from Santa first thing in the morning. He's a little bit too old for stuffed animals now, so instead I sneak in to cover him up with a cozy new blanket! I try to make him a new knot-tied blanket in a different theme every year. This year, though, there'll be a special treat - a brand new Steelers blanket - his favorite! He's going to flip - I can't wait! *<|:)}

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  05:18:10 AM  Show Profile
There are some wonderful traditions here!! I can picture each of you carrying out your traditions with great anticipation. For me it's the magic of doing each part and surprising my family along the way right up to Christmas Day. From baked goodies they wait all year for, to putting the Nutcrackers on Display, lighting of the tree, just all of it.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  05:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I know I've posted this before somewhere, but here goes... On Christmas eve we all stop and raise a toast to those that we love...May Christmas be forever in your hearts and the spirit of Christmas with you the whole year...we toast those that are near and far, those that we love that have passed away...and this year, the upcoming birth of my newest great niece! And then we all start to call all family and close friends to wish them a Merry Christmas!! Christmas eve is actually the biggest part of the holiday to us!!! We have our traditional Christmas foods of Pate' and good cheese. A large fresh chopped veggie salad and maybe this year a cheese fondue (I know, shades of the 70's!) but melted cheese is gooooooood!

On Christmas eve we open the gifts of long distance family and friends and thank them during "The Toast"... we love our Christmas eve traditions =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Laurie and Angela, my parents did the same thing! My mom made us both our stockings and they were big enough to fit small packages. Santa always left us wrapped little presents as well as candy, and those would keep us occupied long enough for mom and dad to get a bit of shut eye lol. The "real" presents weren't to be touched till parents were awake. Growing up we were surrounded by my dad's family who are Polish, so the extended family celebration was held Christmas Eve. We opened all our presents from them as a group, but come Christmas morning we found Santa had come and brought not only his presents but those from my mom's long-distance family. I remember thinking they were taking advantage of his good nature LOL!! As kids though, it really helped in a sense of remembering what came from who, to have it divided up like that. Christmas day was about our immediate family and more about the cozy feelings, whereas Christmas Eve was the energetic chaos that is extended family lol.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  10:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
This Christmas is going to be very different and so what difficult for my family. We split up over Thanksgiving. I have two daughters and one decided to stay with her father. I was depressed and just didn't care. But my oldest kiddo, who came with me, forced () me to remain true to our traditions. I am truly blessed to have her. She showed me that it's not the presents and the hoopla, but the being together. I'll miss my little one, but I will find the joy.

Our tradition is that we pick a new cuisine for Christmas Eve dinner. After dinner, we open Christmas Eve gifts sent from my mom (Mamu). Then we watch "Scrooge" with Albert Finney before going to bed.
In the morning, we open only our stockings. Then we do a big breakfast. We do this to make the day slow down and nobody is rushing through gifts. Next, we open presents from Santa, which is usually something you asked for but your parents said No. (lol) Then, it's boring Mom's turn where you get the prerequisite socks, undies and toothbrush, then on to the good stuff

We watch the parades while supper is cooking and chillax after that.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I'm glad your daughter kept you at it. a split can be hard on everyone and tradition keeps you sane. I love that you slowed down Christmas. How brilliant.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
The music!! I am a musician, my family is musical. So, the music is a HUGE, HUGE part of our Christmas. EVERY YEAR, I get out my "THE NEW YOUNG MESSIAH" CD and listen to it many time. (It's a few selections from Handel's "MESSIAH" that have been rearranged into more contemporary style) It "speaks" to my very core!!!

I have, and will continue to, bought a new Christmas ornament for my daughter. Now that she has step-children, I do the same for them. She carries on that tradition as well and buys them each a new one every year.

MOST IMPORTANT: BEING WITH FAMILY!!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile
I always get my Son a new ornament each year. Some times I make him a needle point one or buy a Hallmark. Our other tradition is that we have our wonderful friends and their family over on Christmas eve we will eat, play games and watch a Christmas movie. We have always had People over on Christmas Eve and it is always a great time.
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  10:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Christmas Eve my husband would take the kids snow skiing or tubing and I would stay home to make sure I was ready for Christmas and have hot soup and homemade rolls ready when they got home. Then we open one gift, always new pajamas. We would get in our pajamas, read the Christmas story from Luke 2 and then watch a movie. The kids would always thank me for sacrificing the outing and staying home to make dinner. It wasn't until they were grown that they realized that my staying home was my opportunity for a little peace and quiet to restore my sanity. This year will be a little different since half of the family will be working Christmas Eve but we will all still get new pajamas, have soup and read the scriptures. This year everyone will be sleeping over also. It will be fun to wake up and see the excitement of our grandsons Christmas morning.

Kim
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic What is your favorite Christmas Tradition? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page