Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ummm, question....about lambs....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ummm, question....about lambs.... Next Topic  

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile
So, we have the opportunity to get half a lamb...for the freezer (yum) from a friend who farms organically, but...I've never had to tell a butcher "how" I want it cut. I've checked out my tried and true BH&G cookbook, but still not sure. Any suggestions? :-D

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  08:00:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi, there! We raise lambs and sell them cut and wrapped to order, so I might be able to help. So, since my husband deals with the butcher far more than I do, here he is with his advice:

So with a half a lamb you will essentially have a leg and shoulder as well as loin and rib chops. You will also have scraps and ribs. I would suggest you have the butcher leave the leg whole, within reason, as he has to cut it off somewhere. The shoulder roast leaves you with several options: 1) leave it whole as a bone in roast; 2)cut it in half and have two smaller bone in shoulder roasts; 3) some butchers will bone and roll the shoulder, a delicious option. Similar to a butterflied leg; 4) cut it into steaks, 1" thick; 5) have it chopped into kebab meat 1" cubes, stew meat or ground.
As for the loin, you can leave it whole as a roast or have it cut into chops. I like my chops 1 1/4" thick. The rib chops or rack can be treated the same as the loin, either left whole as a rack o lamb, or cut into chops 1 1/4" thick. So all that said it depends on if you are more a steak chop kind of gal or a roast kind of gal. This is an example of what I would have done with a half lamb
leg: whole
rack: whole
loin: 1 1/4" chops
shoulder: Boned and rolled if your butcher will or 1" steaks
scraps: 1/2 ground, 1/2 stew.
That will give you a good assortment, next half lamb, you will know exactly what you want. Enjoy!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh my!! Thanks so much Libbie and your dh!! That is awesome, and very helpful!! I can't wait now to talk to the butcher!!

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  5:32:03 PM  Show Profile
We're so glad we could help! I think you're going to LOVE your lamb. If you have any cuts that you don't know what to do with, or if you want/need recipes, just let me know!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again Libbie...bunches and bunches!! :-D I talked to the butcher this afternoon and used what your husband suggested and I get to pick it up Christmas Eve!! I'm so excited!! :-D

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  2:20:12 PM  Show Profile
YAY!!!! I hope you love it. There is something so satisfying about purchasing/raising well-cared for animals for meat and having them cut just how you like them. Way to go!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  1:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information Libbie. We received half a lamb from a friend of ours. He had ordered it from an organic farmer too. We love lamb, but it is usually too expensive for us to buy it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Sure thing! I am so happy about the resurgence of lamb on the market. It really IS a "clean" meat when you purchase it from the right places...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  6:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Hay ya"ll

Libby I have been researching the sheep business for a while now. I want to diversify my ranch. We raise Charolais cattle (grass fed) and we have a market for them. I would love to begin marketing them locally tho. But I want to get into sheep and run them with the cattle, if possible. My info brings concerns so I would really like to speak to a real sheep herd owner to clear things up. If you and your DH would be willing to share your smarts it would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure this is the right forum but I saw your entry and had to ask. Thanks Daizy

PHR Farmgirl
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  6:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Sure thing! I'd love to help any way I/we can. I've not run sheep with cattle, but I have several great "old-farmer" resources to check with, so fire away with any questions -- what can I tell you about it? Oh - about how many cattle do you run? That'll give me some ideas...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  7:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I wasnt expecting such a fast turn around but thanks for getting back to me. Well, I run 100 +- head on approx. 400 acres (large pastures with old fences) Fencing is constant since I rotate cattle from one to the next. I have them on a fairly good parasite program and I have heard that sheep and goats are really prone for these. I don't mind vet work but I do mind another expense and would like to do things with less medication/chemicals as possible. Any thoughts?

PHR Farmgirl
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Well - we haven't had any parasite issues, and we rotate pastures, too - we have around 60 ewes this year - and we also grow our own hay (alfalfa/oatgrass/other grasses). So, let's see - I THINK you should be able to integrate them into your program, but perhaps you'll want to increase the paddocks/individual pastures so they're not pastured in the same one at the same time. I'm going to ask my farmer friend what HE would do to integrate sheep into your existing program. The care you'll need to incorporate would include: lambing, perhaps tetanus shots, tail docking, "branding" which we do with paint, shearing, and dealing with rams/bucks. Let me think more about it... how fun! We really do try to raise our sheep/lambs with as little "interference" (medications, etc.) as we can, but we HAVE treated some infections on an individual basis for the health and happiness of our flock. I'm SO excited that you're thinking about this!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  10:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh you don't know how excited I am to actually find a fellow rancher that has first hand knowledge with the animals. Do you have any suggestions as to the breed that would work the best in our hot/humid climate. I have read that they adapt to the different conditions real easy but I dont want to dock tails either, hope their is a breed that will do well WITH tails. I want to sell grass fed lambs and also shear for wool, provided there is a market for it. Do you have photos? What breed is on your place? Will they do well with woods in the pastures (I have woods and trees around all of the pastures for cooling the cattle in our hot summers.)? Also, what is the best avenue for selection of rams and does? I really don't like sale yards so private treaty (from the rancher) would be preferred. And I like the horn free breeds and don;t want the largest ones but I realize they need to be of some size in order to market them.... Lots of questions, huh? Till later Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  06:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes I know they are called ewes I was not thinking Typing to fast for my brain.

PHR Farmgirl #1093
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ummm, question....about lambs.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page