Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile
This is the first year my husband has brought home quite a bit of salmon. I split it up and am pickling part of it, and smoking and canning the rest. Does anyone have any other good ideas, recipes or suggestions on what else I can do? It would be much appreciated. I am really enjoying experimenting with it.
Colleen

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  9:11:07 PM  Show Profile
I love it smoked. I would do a big batch that way.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  07:21:14 AM  Show Profile
When we lived in Maine and Dad would bring in a bunch of Salmon, mom would freeze it whole and then when we were in the mood, would thaw it, Dad would start a fire on the grill and Mom would stuff it with dressing, lace it up so the dressing wouldn't fall out and then Dad would bake it on the grill. Mom would make a sour cream/cucumber dressing to go on top and oh my . My mouth is watering now!!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile
If you have leftover cooked salmon you can make salmon patties. I have good recipe that I can share that uses canned salmon but I'm sure regular cooked fish would work also. Or you can use a fish cake mix like Zatarain's. I vaguely remember my mother making salmon pie because she was sure that my father wouldn't eat anything called "quiche."

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  3:22:00 PM  Show Profile
We vacuum seal and freeze it in meal size portions so we can then fry, bake or BBQ when we are ready. If frozen soon after it was caught it will last a long time in the freezer. We like it cooked with a little drizzle of olive oil or butter and some lemon pepper. It is also good with teriyaki sauce.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  8:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Yum, thanks for all the ideas, They all sound wonderful. Thank you, I can't wait to try them all out.
Go to Top of Page

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My uncle usually brings back a lot and I'll freeze it and when I want it, I thaw it out and make "tuna fish" with it. Chop it up as chunky or fine as you want, mix a little mayo, pickles, onion, spices (salt, pepper, basil, paprika... whatever you like!), boiled egg, and whatever other veggies you enjoy. Sometimes I'll add nuts and fruit. Sometimes I make it spicy with peppers and lots of garlic. Its so good on toasted home made bread!

It keeps well in the fridge and I can change it up to fit my mood. I can eat it all week long too!

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Salmon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page