True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  2:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Ok - heres the deal!

I'm size 22 top and 26 bottom; I am the city clerk for a small community of 842. I like to wear denim and dresses, but I need advice on what type of dress to wear to work. I have a couple left from the 1990's grandma/amish look but other than oh one dress for funerals. Because of my health I can't wear panty hose; but wear knee stockings or socks. Help me looke more professional without giving up my country roots/comfort.

Lila

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  2:30:40 PM  Show Profile
I'd wear tunic tops over prairie or long skirts and nice, but comfortable shoes. You can wear a long denim skirt with a nice sweater too and that looks nice. Trying to think...I'm a size 18/20 and that is what I wear mostly when I go out to town. I hoped I helped a teensy bit.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  2:32:09 PM  Show Profile
girl, I am with you. I wish I could offer great advice. Denim skirts, nice blouses that are loose, and dresses, some of which you can find online, sound like a good idea. Also, I have found some long skirts that are like broomstick skirts (is that the word?), soft and easy to wear with a knit top that matches. They go with sandals in the summer and boots in the winter. They wash easily and are so comfy and look nice. Search on the computer......the things you like might be easier to find than in stores. Pantyhose????? never again! smile.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Dec 10 2010 2:33:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile
I have gone to wearing sandals all summer and boots in the winter, pantyhose, YUCK!!!!!

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
one of the easiest ways to look put together is to accessorize. add a great necklace and some bangle bracelets or a hat and belt to any of those outfits the girls mentioned and youre good to go. the only other advice i would give is not to go too oversized. you want ease of movement, but may end up adding a few extra sizes if youre not careful. look for tops with princess seaming that will still show a bit of your femine form but flair enough at the hemline to move easily across the hips and stomach. since you are bigger on bottom than on top, try a more fitted bottom over a more relaxed top.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Before I retired, I too liked denim and soft clothes. I found a nice denim jacket that I wore over pants and long dresses. I would wear a beautiful pin on the jacket and some great earrings and it always got me compliments. I also wore socks. I had several colors that would compliment all my outfits. I was one comfortable farm girl in the office. :))

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  8:57:35 PM  Show Profile
If you get a long (mid-calf length) pencil skirt and you can wear it with trouser socks instead of tights. I own a black pencil skirt and wear black trouser socks and black clogs...fits a multitude of situations!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Dresses and tops that are faux wrap are flattering and comfortable. Also empire waist dresses are nice but comfortable. Wearing a tall boot can take care of the panty hose situation - a mukluk or UGG style is comfortable.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Shirtdresses might be an option too. many of them are longer length and some have an a line skirt portion rather than something straighter. I often look at plus size online stores to get ideas of how to create a look when I find something I like - even if I don't buy the clothes from them.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Lila, have you gone online to Roman's or Woman Within? They have great outfits - separates, dresses, skirts, blouces, tunics, slacks, jeans you name it. I've ordered several items from them and love them. Just looking at the models and how items are put together or looking through their magazines gives you ideas on how to put together an outfit. Prices are good too - sometimes a lot better than the mall - and especially when they have sales. check it out. Good luck too.
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic work clothes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page