Author Reading Room: Previous Topic BREAKING CLEAN- by Judy Blunt   

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  06:42:54 AM  Show Profile
This is the most compelling book that I have read in a long time. I could totally relate to Judy's autobiographical account of growing up in rural Montanta in the 1950's. There were so many similarites in our raisings that at times it was painful and enough differences to keep it extremely interesting, as well as empowering. I'm not doing the book justice, so I'll quote from the dust jacket:

"A memoir with the fierce narrative force of an eastern Montana blizzard, rich in story and character, filled with the bone-chilling details of Blunt's childhood. She writes without bitterness, and with an abiding love of the land and the work and her family and friends that she finally left behind, at great sacrifice, to begin to write. This is a magnificient achievment, a book for the ages. I've never read anything that compares with it." - James Crumley, author of The Last Good Kiss

"No biographical sketch of Blunt can convey the depth of this literary achievement: substantial, powerful segments of writing that read like something out of the late nineteenth century, particularly those years when only the novel could bridge the disjunctions between society and self. Inheriting the literary territory previously claimed by Ingalls Wilder and Cather, Blunt builds on their accomplishments, yet marks American literature in her own way. To shoehorn this into mere category or classification is to insult its power. Profound, and profoundly moving." - Kirkus Reviews

Judy now lives in Missoula, MT and teaches at the University. I highly recommend this book!

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  07:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay Clare, i'm definitely hooked LOL! Going to find this one for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  11:02:54 PM  Show Profile
me too....sounds like a must read!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!