Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Horrors! Flame Retardant found in butter!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Horrors! Flame Retardant found in butter! Next Topic  

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  5:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I was looking at CNN's website today at work and ran across an article about how this study done last year purchased butter from a Dallas grocery store. They tested the butter and found flame retardant in it! The researchers did not know if the contaminant came from the wrapper or the butter itself. Nor did the researchers reveal which company this butter came from (all they would say is that it's a large well known dairy in the Midwest) since they did not do an extensive testing from other companies. The article goes on to say how dangerous just a little bit of this stuff in you is toxic.
Please take a minute to read the article..

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/07/study-flame-retardant-found-in-small-butter-sample/

We don't buy margarine but always buy butter because it has less chemicals...now I have another reason to buy a brand name (after I email them demanding to know if they test their butters) or to get a dairy cow and make my own!!
I have to say I'm really irked by this.. I'm trying to feed my family right.. I use to trust the food companies to feed us healthy food.. now I just don't know who to trust.

Sorry for the rant.
Cynthia

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  5:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! That is unnerving!! I can't wait to have my own land and own cow!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  5:52:53 PM  Show Profile
I want my own cow...this is just awful to hear since I just bought a bunch of butter for holiday baking

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile
this is so upsetting to me. with that darn bill before congress. they say hey we need to guard you from the small farmer. we need to regulate the raw milk. then we see the major dairys with this sort of issue. yuk. i do have my cow and i wish everyone that wanted one could. she is a dream cow. 2 teats work is all. but more than enough milk and cream for us. plus she is a family cow. the dogs love her i love her we all love her, yum for milk. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  9:01:59 PM  Show Profile
This bothers me that the study's authors won't reveal the name of the company with the tainted butter. They owe it to the consumers. If they were to reveal the name, they could add their little disclaimer stating that they believe it to be an isolated case. Where is quality control?! This is scary and frustrating. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  05:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye I have to agree with you..they shut down raw dairy farms but allow this to come to light without investigation..where's the USDA on this???

I want to know the best way to protect my family because it's obvious that no one else will.

Wishing for a better tomorrow won't make it happen..we have to act.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  05:37:43 AM  Show Profile
This is a main reason we plan to get dairy goats and a jersey cow. Thanks for sharing

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Scary isn't it? No doubt we'd all be horrified if we knew every ingredient that went into our food.

Edited by - OneHippieChick on Dec 29 2010 12:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  8:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to play devil's advocate but I'm gonna put a twist on this...
We use butter instead of margarine. What is the most typical oil that margarine is made with? Is it corn oil by any chance? If it is, I wonder how much King Corn is behind this media hyped report. Scare everybody away from butter and watch the margarine/King Corn profits soar. It seems fishy that no brand was ever mentioned and that it was never determined whether it was the butter or the wrapper. By not mentioning names makes for low legal risk of somebody being sued by that butter producer for untrue reporting. I'll stick to using real foods & whole foods, including butter.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile
My dairy cows aren't quite old enough to breed yet. But I cannot wait to make our own butter. No matter how hard we try to feed our families well the only way to be sure that food is healthy is to produce it ourselves.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I also buy local butter, and local milk from people I trust. I really don't trust a lot of the bigger factories.

Here's a story that is true cause I lived it! A big midwest dairy here where I live supplies our local schools with their milk. At my nephews elementary school they used to assign parents as volunteers in the lunch room during lunch time. Just so happened on my step fathers assigned week, one of the children came up to him and told him his milk tasted weird. So my step father smelled it and it didn't smell like milk at all, it smelled like bleach! My step father opened the carton up completely and seen it was clear bleach water, not milk. He informed the lunch ladies and they started checking all cartons almost the whole delivery that day was bleach water and NOT milk. The dairy (Stephan's) when contacted by the school said it would NOT harm the kids! My step father kept a few of the cartons unopened for evidence in case. Then contacted the local news, opened one live on the news and they could see it was not milk. The dairy when questioned by the news said it had been cleaning day at the dairy and they accidently filled the cartons with their cleaning solution instead of milk, and still claimed it was harmless to the kids! We were sooooo mad at them. That is obviously a lie! Humans are not to consume bleach! No amounts ok! Up to that point we had been very loyal customers of Stephan's and immediately they changed our loyalty I can tell you that.

So while it may be a lie, OTOH some dairies will say anything to cover themselves! I would of had such a better respect for Stephan's if they had apologized profusely and said they would be held responsible for any possible health risk they put the children at! Instead of being lying weenies! We would of probably stayed loyal to them if they had just been honest and sorry!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Mar 24 2011 11:51:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  04:01:50 AM  Show Profile
This must be what gave DH and me bad heatrburn the other night. We were out of butter and we bought the "i can't believe it's not butter" spread. Mid way through dinner, I kind of lost my appetire, and about an hour later we were both reaching for the tums.

I love real butter, but I hate what it does health wise, and I'm leery about the "spreadable" kind

It's all things in moderation I know
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  06:19:53 AM  Show Profile
What does real butter do health wise? As far as I know people were pretty healthy for centuries using real butter. The key is moderation. And a good amount of exercise-working in fields, with your animals, etc etc. A lot of the hoopla about butter causing high cholesterol has been reversed, it was just a guess that it caused high cholesterol, newer studies show it's not true, eggs got a bad wrap at that same time, now eggs are touted as being a healthy protein! All it was was a bunch of hype based on hypothesis! Newer research shows some people are just prone to high cholesterol, mainly due to their bodies making it themselves! Not due to eating eggs, and butter. However, eating fake butter has a kind of fat in it that our body can't get rid of, and actually does cause bad cholesterol. (transfat is what I'm talking about) The fat in real butter, and eggs, is a fat our bodies are used to eating and can digest and goes through our system fine. It's the transfat that never leaves and sticks to our arteries, usually found in fake foods-like margarine. Believe it or not some states here in the USA have actually banned margarine and it's against the law to sell it!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile
I buy organic whole whipping cream, wiz it in the food processer for about 5 min (or less) & it turns to butter. You can freeze it too. & I know what went into it.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  1:51:42 PM  Show Profile
yum yum yum Lisa! I really need to start doing that!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  03:49:52 AM  Show Profile
It's the moderation thing. DH and I are both super active and don't have cholesterol or heart issues.

We use more olive oil more than anything really.

But come sweet corn season, and I'll go through the butter very quickly!

We do have a source to get it locally, so I might just start doing that. I keep small bricks of it in the freezer for baking emergencies, so I could do the same for this ultra fresh butter too.

And it's the whole Breyer's ice cream syllable test. If it contains more than 2 syllables, and I can't pronounce it very easily......won't use it. You can't go wrong with cream, sugar...you know, ...stuff that's easily identifiable you are famillar with. And as with butter, I apply the same for cheeses and p-nut butters. If the ingredient list is a mile long.......forget it
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Because of the news article..

I've cut way back on my butter consumption because we only can afford Great Value.. and one thing I'm finding out is the no-name brands tend to have cheap ingredients that your body isn't made to eat.

Have you read the ingredients on coffee creamer? My husband now uses heavy cream and I use Almond Milk (I'm lactose intolerant) so if I put heavy whipping cream in my food processor I can make butter?? I'm really excited and can't wait to try it!

On a side note.. Julia Child cooked and ate a lot of unsalted butter and she lived to be in her 90's.
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  10:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Buying organic whipping cream this weekend and trying it...also, I blend my butter half and half with olive oil to make it healthier (just a tip).

Janie

"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page

shelley crook
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

shelley
ellijay ga
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  7:19:18 PM  Show Profile
oh my goodness!!! I only use real butter but I think I will try the organic whipping cream trick!!! Thanks for sharing!

May the Good Lord bless and keep you all
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Horrors! Flame Retardant found in butter! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page