Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  9:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh geez... My son showed me two rings on his lower leg tonight, and I'm sure they are ringworm. I know we can use an OTC antifungal, but I have also read that Tea Tree oil is quite effective, and I have a small bottle of it in the cupboard. Any thoughts on this, girls? >sigh< Another question: Does anyone know just how infectious is this? We're supposed to watch my foster son's and daughter's children over the next couple of days during funeral stuff... One is just a year old, one is four, and the eldest is 10. I'll tell their parents, of course, but I'm concerned about the two little ones, especially. I also read that our dog could get it -or could have it. I've never heard of that before! Do you know what should be looking for? Do you think I should call the vet?

Yay! Something new and exciting to add into the mix! Party hats for everyone! ;)

Thanks girls - I really, really appreciate your input! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  9:36:52 PM  Show Profile

Nini---It's not a "worm" per se just called that because it looks like the shape of a worm actually it is caused by a fungal infection.

I just looked this up---

Tea Tree Oil for Ringworm

Light coatings of tea tree oil should be applied on to the affected area or areas about three or four times a day for two to three weeks until the fungal infection totally disappears. One major advantage of using tea tree oil is that its repeated usage is not hazardous in any way.

Seems like a long time to treat it though doesn't it?

Direct contact with an infected person. If you come in direct contact with a person whose skin is infected with ringworm, it is likely that you will catch the fungus and develop the infection yourself.

Darn it-

Listen if you need any tea tree soap just let me know Nini-I make that on a regular basis-Both the tea tree and tea tree and peppermint and I will get that out to you pronto-

Take care.

Melody
Farmgirl #525[/font=Tahoma]

Edited by - melody on Dec 05 2010 9:39:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  10:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! Thank you, Melody! I really appreciate that you looked all of this up for me! That does seem an awfully long time to treat it. I'll have to call the doctor tomorrow and see what they say, too. I actually do have some of your tea tree soap here - I'm glad you said that! What a great idea! Thank you! I'll have to get that out for the morning. I'm going to have to tell the kids in the morning, too, and let them decide what they want to do - whether they want the little ones around him/us or not. I hate to add to their concerns right now, but I have to tell her. She's a nursing student, so I'm sure she'll know what is best. What a thing! Well, thanks again - you're the best! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Ringworm is highly contagous! I had it for the first time in my life last a year ago. Mine grew so fast and furious that it infected. Yes, tea tree oil may work sometimes it doesn't though. I was using it on mine for 4 times a day then all of a sudden it stopped working. I went through many different remedies to clear it up the best one though was a prescription from the DR. It took 1 year for the ring to finally leave my skin! The worst part of this is my DH ended up with ringworm from me and he had his in 20 different spots on his body. He is still healing from his bout of ringworm. Please watch this fungus very carefully and if there is any heat coming from the sore please see a Dr immediatly. Do not share towles! Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile
Very contagous!!! my daughter had it on her face from sharing a headset at work, she used a prescription from the doctor and it was cleared up in a week. Needless to say she doesn't share anything a work anymore.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  8:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! That sounds absolutely horrible, Lillian! And I didn't know you could get it from something as simple as sharing a headset, Kathy! My word!!! Thank you both so much for letting me know! We don't share towels, but we do share bar soap... nixed that last night until further notice, and threw the bar away. I won't play around with this, don't worry!

I put a call in to the doc, but didn't hear back. I'll call again in the morning. We got so busy today with what seemed like a million little interruptions... and it's snowing something fierce outside, so we were trying to keep up with shoveling... the hours slipped by before I realized the office was probably closed. I did tell the my foster son and daughter, but they are not worried. I'll be real careful while the little ones are here. I'm using the tea tree oil on my son's rings until I talk with the doctor. I'm getting the heebeegeebies about it now that I've read your stories - eghads! I really do appreciate that you told me!

Thanks so much - ALL of you! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Good luck with the ringworm. I had it when my children were little and I was lucky enough that no one else in the house got it. So I'm saying a prayer that your dealing with a "nice" round of ring worm like I had. I was able to treat mine with the OTC antifungal. Also, after bathing, I found it helpful to use my hair dryer on low to thoroughly dry the area before putting on a thin layer of medicine.

Best of luck -- this is just about the last thing you needed on your plate right, huh.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile
My daughter works at vet office and often they come into contact with ringworm on the animals they treat.. it might not be the healthiest thing but she often takes bleach sponge baths to keep herself rid of them. Also we have a script of an anti-fungal medication that I use on my kids when they get it.. seems like they get it at least once a year..and it's very spreadable..thankfully we start treating it right away and it's gone within a week..also we keep the area covered with band aides. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ringworm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page