Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  09:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Lemon balm! It's good in the bath (as a muscle relaxant) or drink in a tea (for settling the tummy) or rub the leaves on your skin (as an insect repellent) & even culinary for ice tea or anything you want a lemony flavor for. How's that for an all-around super-duper herb

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  11:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Comfrey for sure. Lemon balm. Feverfew. Chamomile. Mullien. Red raspberry. Plaintain. Catnip. Calendula.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head that's out in the yard/garden at the moment. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  5:42:29 PM  Show Profile
what they said, plus mints, nettles, garlic,(esp to go with that mullein for earache oil), echinacea and bee balm. St John's wort is also good if it grows in your area.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Add to the lists above sage and marjoram for teas. Marjoram is good for digestion and eliminating flatulence. Sage has a calming effect used as a tea. Then there are the cooking merits for both. I always plant lots of these two herbs.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

AmericanHwyFlower
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

A.R.
Yorba Linda CA
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  9:58:46 PM  Show Profile
every household should have a vicks plant... break off the leaves seep in hot water and inhale the steam with or without a towel over your head.

Cherish Each Day
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Mint! Just make sure that if you don't want to take over the garden, you put barriers in the ground. I've used a tile on all four sides. Otherwise, you will have to prune it back. I like mint for an upset stomach, indigestion or overeating at a meal. I agree with everything else folks have said. Sounds great. good luck.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Sage is wonderful used as a tea to treat sinus headache!

A.R., What is Vicks plant.

Can anyone tell me how to use Bee Balm? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the blossom, the leaf, or the root in tea.

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Kathyjane, I use the blossoms of bee balm, but I think you can use the leaf too? OUrs has a strong oregano flavor, and we have a purple variety that is actually HOT--I think it might be similar to the variety that grows wild in the Southwest of the US. Also we have a pink monarda/bee balm that has a slight citrusy hint to the oregano.

Everyone's suggestions are great! If I had to pick 10 that I couldn't do without I'd choose:

-Motherwort (oh motherwort, she gets me through the rough patches AND helps with menstrual cramps. Though she IS contraindicated for people with uterine issues like fibroids and flooding.)

-Rosemary--I can't make roasted chicken without it, plus it makes a wonderful smudge/incense, helps with headaches, the fragrance helps clear the mind, in the bath helps with muscle aches, and it just smells so wonderful.

-Lavender--soothing and sweet.

-Sage--great for teeth, gums, hair, dries up excessive menses and excessive breast milk (or when you're ready to be done breast feeding), and it's delicious too.

-Comfrey--amazing, amazing healing plant. Used on sprains, broken bones, bruises, it's wonderful.

-Mugwort--good for wounds, smudgin, and has a really fascinating world of folklore attached to it. Many cultures believed it to be very magical and protective. Helps with intestinal bugs too, and as a poultice type thingie for menstrual cramps . . .

-Dandelion. Yep, the weed. Plain old dandelion. Has a bazillion uses--amazing, amazing plant. To name a few--infused oil for sore muscles, tincture to help support liver and kidney function and help balance blood sugar, root in a vinegar as an iron supplement, and the roasted dried root makes a delicious coffee substitute. If I could only have one herb, dandelion would be the one. Lucky me, it's FREE!

-Rose--tastes amazing in tea or infused in honey, a vinegar of the petals makes an excellent soothing soak for sunburn and other burns, and it's just yummy. Rose hips are a great source of vitamin c.

-Calendula--the ultimate wonderful soother, used in all kinds of healing salves. My friend used it on her babies scalp condition and it cleared it right up (we made an infused oil).

-Monarda/Bee Balm--mostly, to be honest, because it attracts bazillions of hummingbirds and bees to the yard, and because it's SO beautiful. But it's also great in salads and stir fries.

Okay so I lied, 11, because what would I do without plantain? Though you don't have to plant that one, it grows wild almost everywhere. THe PERFECT thing when you get stung, have a cut, or a splinter. Draws anything icky OUT, and soothes the pain too. LOVE plantain. That's two weeds. I'd better not get started on weeds . . . I love 'em so much.

OBVIOUSLY, y'all, I'm not a health professional so don't be using this as any kind of MEDICAL advice. ANd I don't have much you could sue me for anyway . . .

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  5:31:44 PM  Show Profile
I would add chickweed. You may already have it as a "weed", if not you can buy the seeds from mountainroseherbs.com. It can be eaten as a salad green but is great in salves.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello Michelle,

looks like it has been awhile since anyone posted, but I wanted to thank you for the "advice". :) I live in the city, but have a small yard and we (my husband and I) are slowly getting ready to start a garden. Of course I have to make allowance for what will grow in phoenix AZ, but I love the weeds and herbs you listed above! Thanks!!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

BrendaPetersen
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Brenda
Stapleton Nebraska
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I want to say thanks for this....I'm new to the site (today actually) but I am an avid gardener and herbal/natural remedies fascinate me. I look forward to designing my new herb garden on our new home site this year here in good ole Nebraska.

"to blessed to be stressed"
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile
hi casey..i am in az too...north by kingman, laughlin. It's gets really hot here in summer to..we are only bt 10 degrees cooler than you..u get way more rain than us.. I have been here 17 yrs.. I have. Oregano,mint,chives,lemon verbena,parsley by the ton,lavender,sage,yarrow,aloe,thyme,fennel,rosemary, all doing well..made it though winter to.. I am currently growing in garden, swiss chard,garlic,snowpeas,collards.argula, lettuce,cilantro, green onions,trying mustard greens.. Will be planting summer crops soon... Watering in begginning is important to establish plants..herbs grow all year long...and boy do they multiply..i have more than I need....lol...hopes this helps..have fun...

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic what to put in the garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page