Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Popcorn....burned in the pan....help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Popcorn....burned in the pan....help! Next Topic  

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile
My much loved SIL made popcorn for us the other night and accidently burned it in my revere ware pan.....I soaked it w/soda, dishwasher powder but to no avail, anybody have a suggestion????

live, laugh, love

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  12:26:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if this will work, but try putting salt and ice in it, wait a while, then scrub. Just an idea.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  7:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Cindy, will give that a try!! Poor sil, she cooked almost the entire Thanksgiving dinner in and on my stove, and then the next day burned the popcorn!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  06:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Steel wool scrub the heck out of it. Or Bar Keepers Powder. I have heard a dryer softner sheet with water just covering it in the pan will some times move off burnt things.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Nov 30 2010 06:55:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Suzie, happens to the best of us. We all burn the popcorn pan sometimes. I find if I cook a few more things in the pan it eventually comes off.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I'll bake the pan with water in it, or put it on the stove with water in it and turn it on until it gets steamy, and use a razor blade (CAREFULLY!!!!!) to scrape anything off of it. I have stainless pans, so the risk of scratching is there, but to me, pans are meant to be used. I try not to scratch them, but I have scratched one or two.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  05:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I hate when that happens! Try adding enough baking soda to cover the burned bits then add water to the pan (enough to cover the baking soda and a little above it.) Place on stove, bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Allow to cool at least for a few hours or overnight. The burned bits should come right out.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile
oh Suziegirl, that is why I use an airpopper....(hubby uses the micowave) we are both disasters waiting to happen when it comes to the kitchen! lol!
hugz & miss ya.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  7:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Suzie, You could put water and dish detergent in it and bring to a boil, usually losens most of the burned bits and then finish scrubbing with a sos pad, Good luck
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile
I changed the diameter of the pan I used to pop corn in to a soup or casserole size. I don't put the lid on until the first kernel pops so no moisture builds up on the lid while the oil is getting hot. I think the extra moisture has something to do with the burning. But I'm not a chemist. LOL! Then when the popping starts I gently move the pot around the burner just enough so the heat isn't in one spot and the kernels are being rolled a little. That brought my burning rate to zero. It took a couple of washings and some steel wool to remove that kind of burn residue before I started popping the way I described above. It took me 35 years to figure that out.:))
Good luck.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:00:34 PM  Show Profile
I know this sounds horrible, but if you fill up your pan with water, drop an unscented Bounce dryer sheet in the water and leave it overnight the stuck on foods will come off easily with a spatula or scrubbie. It works really well on glass, revere ware, cast iron and teflon. So far I haven't found anything that it didn't work on - and my BF is really good at burning stuff on pots and pans! I've recently found that I can cut the sheet in several strips and use a smaller piece to get the same results.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  6:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Bar Keeper's Friend will scour just about anything off of stainless steel! You could also try filling the pot with water and bringing it to a boil to help loosen the burnt-on bits.

I always burn the popcorn- but my boyfriend shakes the heck out of it with the lid on when popping and he usually doesn't burn it.

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies.....I have tried the baking soda, the dish detergent, to no avail.....still trying!! My sil bought me a new pan for Christmas to replace the one she "thinks she ruined", I vow I'll get that pan clean!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Popcorn....burned in the pan....help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page