Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  5:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am in college and one of the requirements of a class of mine is to post in a discussion board on a topic the teacher assigns. I was just reading a fellow student's work and it is obviously plagerized.

So here is my question- What would you do?

Do nothings and if the teacher reads it and catches it, though I am pretty sure she only reads a portion, have the consequences come as they may

or

Point it out to the teacher since it is such a gross violation of the code of ethics of the school?

And this isn't a little plagerism. She copy and pasted directly from a pretty common accounting website and only deleted a few sentences.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  5:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Wow, that's kind of tough. If you did point it out, maybe do so anonymously? Hmm, I would definitely be put in a quandary. That is not right. I asked Adam and he agreed with me..turn them in anonymously ...

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  5:33:21 PM  Show Profile
When someone plagerizes an article, they are stealing. You would not stand by and watch some one steal something from a store with out saying something. I would drop the teacher an anonymous note, and let the cards fall where they may.....tough decesion, that is how I would handle it, good luck, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  6:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Alee, plagiarism was taken very seriously at my grade school last year. It didn't happen at our school, but like Carol said, it is stealing someone's intellectual property. I do believe that it is breaking the law. There will be some definite consequences for her, but that's what she gets for not doing her own work. I think you should say something. Definitely!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  6:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunatly there is no way to do it anonymously. The college system is the only way to send the teacher a note so it automatically tells her which student is sending her the email.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  8:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies. Your answers are what I was thinking as well. I sent an email to the teacher. We'll see what happens I guess.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  9:23:31 PM  Show Profile
You did the right thing, Alee. Sometimes that is the hardest thing to do. It will all work out, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

rachaeltolliver
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Rachael
Petersburg VA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  04:48:52 AM  Show Profile
I think you did the right thing. All through school they drill plagerism is wrong & bad & you can be expelled for doing it. In college they make it even harsher. It's not right to take credit for someone elses work but it's even worse if you are going to do it for a grade. Some people work really hard for their grades & others dont care & will try to get grades for doing nothing.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  05:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Alee! You absolutely did the right thing. I teach online and would certainly hope that I would have caught that myself but would have definitely appreciated you bringing it to my attention.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  06:55:38 AM  Show Profile
alee...i know this was not easy - and i read everyone else's comments-too bad there was no way for annonymity --however -if you had chosen NOT to report it -you were being as bad as the person who did it......hugs

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  07:40:50 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the other ladies in that you did the right thing. It's too bad that you didn't have the option to do it anonymously, kudos for you for putting yourself out there. The teacher might commend you for having a sharp eye, and would appreciate the heads up to keep a closer eye on this student.

Fair is fair, and rules are rules. It's not fair that a majority of students abide by rules and there are the few that do not - and they shouldn't get away with it!

Let us know how it turns out?
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  08:39:48 AM  Show Profile
The question is Alee...Would your teacher respond? There are quite a few instructors who just want to grade it and get it done.

I know it's not fair to other students who have worked hard and used original thought not taking from someone else-It's cheating plain and simple. The easy way out for them but in the end they will be the ones who lose.

I think a lot of students feel it's okay to do that and that anything on the net is fair game. How sad is that? What will happen to original thinking? Imagination?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Alee - I would say I would let the student know about this; maybe she would change it or at least she would have a fair warning!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I know you've already contacted the teacher, but you could still approach the student (ideally in person) and say, gee, you noticed some strong resemblance between her work and a source you often consult because it's so well-known and respected. Add your concern that your teacher will suspect plagiarism -- note the correct spelling for future notes to teachers ;-) -- and give the student the URL so she an check it out and decide for herself if there's a problem. You assign not specific blame, but you make the point that plagiarism is wrong. Please consider the possibility that this student got someone else to do the assignment for her and unwittingly accepted something that the person she "hired" cadged from that website. Her problem would thus be cheating rather than plagiarism. Neither is okay, byt this way, you give her the power to do right before the school intervenes. Maybe that will be her wake-up call. Of course, it could be that plagiarism is a way of life for this student, in which case you'll have awakened her to the need for her to find a better way to live. Good luck!

Edited by - Rosemary on Nov 17 2010 3:10:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  4:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the ideas ladies- It's an online course so all work needs to be completely above reproach. I'll let you all know if I see anything or if the teacher even responds.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  06:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Alee, most online instructors I've worked with are pretty strict on this type of behavior. Because teaching online can be done from home, and is much more convienent for them, they do not want to see the class quality go down by this type of behavior, because school administrators may nix the online option.

I ran across this one term, and pointed it out to the instructor. Luckily, he had already realized it, and planned to handle it.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page