Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else dealing with osteoporosis? How are you doing at dealing with it?
I recently had a bone density test and got a prescription for Fosamax and have been slow getting it filled. I've been on a med for close to 4 years now that contributes to the problem. I've been a bit depressed with the idea of taking a med because of a med especially when I've checked out all the possible side effects! I'm going to approach it with trying to get my diet in better shape and taking exercise more seriously. But SERIOUSLY its going to be hard to get in the habit of walking every day for 30 minutes, doing strength training a couple of times a week as well as yoga. I'm usually busy and active so I don't know how much is necessary but it shouldn't hurt.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile
My mom took Fosamax for about 16 years and didn't have any issues with it. I have bone issues due to a parathyroid problem and the endocrinologist (sp) that I go to said the Fosamax and those medicines will only work for 10 years so not to take it until neccessary and don't bother taking it after 10 years. She did recommend that I stay on the estrogen that I have taken since my hystrectomy as that will help the bond density.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile
My rheumatologist recommended swimming and the stationary bike because walking really bothers me at times. The swimming definitely helps but I haven't tried the stationary bike yet. Tai Chi is also good but you need to find the right class. I was taking a Tai Chi Chi Kung twice a week. I really like the Tai Chi class for arthritis but the class was cancelled because of lack of participation. Really need to get back into the classes.

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  5:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for responding.
Kathy,
I had breast cancer 4 years ago and since test showed the cancer was "fed" by estrogen, so my doctor put me on Arimidex, an estrogen blocker, for five years and said we would decide if I continue after that. I'm betting that had an impact on my bone density.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  8:27:45 PM  Show Profile
I have osteopena, which is one step before osteoporosis. Fosomax put me in the hospital with chest pains and boniva had me nauseated for a week. Currently taking calcium pills, but dr wants me to take the infusion in my veins. After what happened with the foxomax, I'm not real keen on that either. If you find something else, let me know. I do exercise and lift weights a couple times a week but so far no help
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Osteoporosis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page