Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Which should I choose? Next Topic  

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  07:47:32 AM  Show Profile
DH would like to give me a Dutch oven for Chistmas!! But I have a slight issue. I don't know what size to ask for.

I'll mostly use it for chili, stew, and braising. Deep frying would be nice but not a priority.

What would you ask for? Also would it be odd to ask for a
used one?

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Are you talking a good big kettle or electric? Electric would probably take less energy than heating stuff on the stove for long hours.
First consider size.
How many do you cook for? Would it be small batches mostly or would you freeze or can extra for future easy meals?
Consider material.
I avoid aluminum anything now, since I've heard it connected to Alzheimers. Not worth the risk even if its cheap.
I love my cast iron Dutch oven, about 4-5 quarts, used to cook for 5, now down to 2, but make a lot of use of good leftovers. Heavy stainless steel can work out well too.
I don't think it would be at all odd to ask for a used one unless DH is uncomfortable shopping for it. I've found some great deals used and like the idea of not being a part of a throw-away live style.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  09:58:50 AM  Show Profile
We have a 12 inch cast iron D.O. and we love it. I would recommend that you either get a 10 or 12 inch. Honestly, the 12" is HEAVY and I kinda have to wrestle the thing, but I still really enjoy it. Are you wanting cast iron or enamel? I have both. If you are planning to do your cooking in the oven/stovetop, you can use the enamel DO.

If you're going to be doing firepit or fireplace cooking, you'll need the cast iron DO. I'd also recommend you get the ones with 'legs' for this type of cooking.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a used DO. One of my very favorite cast iron pans is one I found in the bottom of a trash can! If you are looking at a cast iron one, you must be sure that it is not heavily pitted or cracked. Most of the cast iron I have seen is in repairable condition. All it usually needs is a good scrubbing with a wire brush/wheel and to be seasoned in the oven. If you are looking at an enamel DO, you do not want the enamel to be chipped, especially so in the inside of the pan, of course. I have a lot of enamelware that was used, and while it does have wear on the rim, there are no chunks missing out of the interior/exterior.

:0)

OH! and one last thing. Don't get a cheap-o DO. Stick with well-known brands, and avoid that Chinese junk. You want a good, heavy DO, not one made cheaply and with thinner metal. I have seen a few Chinese pans and they were ridiculously light for cast iron. Probably wouldn't be anytime that they crack! I have a Lodge DO and my enamelware is LeCreuset (which I got secondhand).

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Edited by - msdoolittle on Nov 16 2010 10:01:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  09:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm definintely looking for cast iron. Sorry forgot to add that small piece of info. We have a family of three and I usually freeze any leftovers we may have.

A 4-5 quart sounds like it might be a great size for us.

Thanks for the insight!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  05:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I have an enameled cast iron dutch oven by Lodge and I absolutely LOVE it! Bought it at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. I love the fact that it is enameled so no worrying about keeping it seasoned. I use it for jambalaya, roasts, soups, etc.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Which should I choose? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page