Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 reusable grocery bags containing lead
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic reusable grocery bags containing lead Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile
I have several of these bags, but from various stores. Stores are taking them back, but I have no idea where I bought some of mine. Where can they be disposed of?

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:10:15 AM  Show Profile
Are you talking about like the walmart bags that you can take back with you? They are blue.

God is good all the time!!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile
On the news this morning they were saying some grocery stores that were selling reusable bags made in China, contain lead. I'm guessing there will be more. All of my store bags are made in China.

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh my word! I haven't heard anything about this? What is going on? I have a whole bunch of reusable blue bags from Costco... And others from other places. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this information? I will not be able to watch the news until very, very late this evening. Thank you!!! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  12:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am not surprized by this. If we would make more stuff here and depend less on stuff from China, this wouldn't happen.

I buy the ones that you can wipe off. I think I will be making my own.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that, Amy! Amen to that!!!

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  1:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Most of my shopping bags are made of cloth so that I can wash them. They are totes that I've collected here and there over the years. I'll be getting rid of the few of the "store" ones that I have - don't need MORE toxins!! Holy COW!! I'm with Mrs Rooster. We need to make our OWN stuff.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  1:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
You know, I had a funny feeling about those. The ones I have been collecting are cloth - actually some are from farmgirls here - I haven't had any of the ones from the stores...we just can't depend on that stuff.. Sigh.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  1:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brooke- just what I was thinking too! Sheesh. You try and use reusable because it's supposed to be Better! Hurray for the farmgirls that make totes though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I've been tempted a time or two to buy one of those reusable bags in the stores, but soemthing about it just didn't seem to sit right with me. Over the years I've learned to trust my gut. Now I know why. I have a nice collection of totes. A couple I picked up at the Goodwill, I made a couple and the rest are from farm girls. I just love the tote swaps on here! I'm looking forward to the next one!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  2:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Good Grief; I have several, a couple from Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertsons, and I've shared them with family and friends. I'm not much of a seamstress but I can sew a straight line so I'm with everyone else here, I'll get some AMERICAN MADE fabric and start making my own. I guess I'll just take the ones I have back to the grocery stores they came from. I'll just use paper bags until I get some lead free ones. At least the paper bags are made out of recycled paper and we use them to put old magazines and cans in to take to the recycle bins and also burnables since we live in the country we have a burn barrel.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Good Luck on finding American Made Fabric. If you look closely at the bolts of fabric in the fabric store you will find that most are not from here! So alot of the fabric bags aren't safe either. It is very frustrating.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  5:44:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
The newsstory in our area said that it is the CLOTH ones as well. A few weeks ago they said they carried germs to wash them from time to time, now they said washing them can make the lead leech out. YIKES! I think I am going to do a winter project and get some calico cotton cloth at the fabric store and just sew up some simple ones. I have also wanted to make some of the net looking ones knitted from organic cotton. As for the shopping bags from the store, I will hold on to these for now, as my food is not put in them without being in a wrapper and I only use them for grocery shopping trips. Lillian, I think if one is using cotton it is at least better than those ones from the grocery store, as on the news they showed the label and it was a chemical name.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  03:28:41 AM  Show Profile
#1 reason why I'll continue to stick w/ paper --and cloth that can be washed
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  06:08:12 AM  Show Profile
I don't use the grocery bags because I feel funny about being a "walking ad".

But I do have a couple of insulated bags from Costco and three bags from Joannes that I use to store some of my quilting fabric in. Guess I'll have to check on those.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic reusable grocery bags containing lead Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page