Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 A Hot Dog Ain't A Hot Dog Without Kraut!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Hot Dog Ain't A Hot Dog Without Kraut! Next Topic  

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Well Ladies, I've been telling you about my adventure into the world of all things fermenting and how I've increased my levels of fiber exponentially since finding cabbage on sale for 10lbs for $1. Tonight, I labored over a blog post to give detailed directions so that you too can experience the gastric rumblings that result from a delicacy that, from everything I've read, is packed with vitamins and pretty well cures whatever ails you! You can read it at: http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog

And to beat everything, I gave you a glimpse into the innards of a real, Oklahoma tornado shelter!! :-) (I've been eating too much kraut I think)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth----You are too funny!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

I'm on way over to read your post...
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  7:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Are you trying to tell me that I'm a "gas", Melody?? :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  8:09:58 PM  Show Profile
I meant to tell you...my mother has a 1909 (I think) Kraut Cutter. It's the neatest thing...it's just a big mandoline specifically for shredding cabbage. Cool, huh?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, wow! Can you post a picture so we can see it? I have my mother-in-law's which was her mother's, but it is probably from the 30's? It is long and rectangular with a blade that goes catecornered. It looks like you could cut the tip of your finger off really easy!!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth - YOU ROCK! Thank you SO much for sharing!!! THAT is quite possibly the BEST "how to" I've ever seen! THANK YOU!! For those of us who didn't have matriarchs who did these things, a site like yours means the world! I have always wanted to make sauerkraut, but was always afraid I would poison my family with botulism (Yes - I've seen waaay too many movies - LOL!). I almost tried MJ's version in a jar this year, but I chickened out, opting for copious amounts of coleslaw instead (It's my favorite, and absolutely the ONLY thing my guys won't eat - so it was all mine! YES!). But now I really want to make sauerkraut! Okay - so, where can a nubie like me find a crock like that, and is it okay to use cabbage from the grocer, or should I wait for next harvest season? Oh! And I had to laugh when I saw your post! To me, a hot dog just ain't a hot dog unless you can't see or smell it! LOL! I use so many toppings, you just wouldn't believe it! I'm an absolute horror show at the ballpark! LOL!!! Thanks again - I really, really, REALLY appreciate everything! :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  9:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Nini!! I actually got that cabbage on sale 10 lbs for $1. I have decided that I only want to make kraut in the Fall and winter months. I am afraid of food poisoning too and if it gets too hot, kraut can be a breeding ground!!

I am sure that you can find those kinds of crocks at antique stores but I just found that Ace Hardware carries a white crock that looks just like my old ones. Go to http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=crock&origkw=crock&sr=1 and you can get one shipped to a store near you! Cool!

I appreciate your encouraging words. I've been posting recipes and humorous stories at the blog for two years and just now people are starting to discover it. I have wanted to give people a little humor in their lives, an encouraging word, and easy recipe instructions!! It's an outlet for me and is really making these brain cells stretch! Learning HTML has NOT been easy. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  1:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Mary Beth! We have a lot of junk stores around that sell used crocks, but they're always cracked, chipped or pitted. I was afraid to use something like that. And I've checked out a couple of farm suppliers without any luck. We do have an Ace in the next town over, so I'll see if I can purchase one there before I go an order online. Either way, I should be able to have one in my hot little hands soon so I can get started! YAY! I can't wait to try this! I've also added your site to my favorites list - I'll have to check it out a lot more often! Thank you for everything! This really, really makes my day! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  2:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, Nini, you've made mine!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Hot Dog Ain't A Hot Dog Without Kraut! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page