star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Here is an interesting website with some Christmas ideas - they also have what they call the Rudolph Club (free) that gives monthly suggestions for preparing for Christmas. I'm way too late to start with them now, of course, but will be trying it starting in January. Here is the site:

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/gifts-crafts-gift-tags

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  05:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link, Star! I will join up in January with you. Christmas has come up super fast this year!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love it! What a great site! Thanks for sharing, Star!

You know, when my son was little, we did that "Magic Elf" thing. I had purchased two absolutely beautiful stuffed Christmas elves at a crafts fair I had been working, and thought this was the perfect way to use them. Years later, once my son realized they weren't really coming to life at night, trolling through the house and keeping tabs on him, he gave out a huge sigh and said, "Thank God! Those little guys used to creep me out so badly, Mom. I used to worry they'd come in my room at night and take me home to the North Pole with them forever!" LOL! What a horrible, horrible mother I am! Here I was, having so much fun, trying to make the holiday season really magical for my child; and there he was, quaking in bed with his head under the covers, praying to God that the scarey elves wouldn't take him away! Oh!!! It's so awful, but I can't help laughing! Bad Mommy! LOL!!! Well... at least it got him praying! LOL!!! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you gave me a great laugh! that is a very good story....my sons were creeped out by the thought of the tooth fairy but this is hilarious!

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  07:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
A quick idea for Christmas wrapping...

I have 3 sisters and we exhange gifts every year after Christmas. One year, I created gift tags by scanning baby pictures or newly wed pictures of each of the girls and printed them on address labels with a text of "Merry Christmas from Debi to you!". The family spent more time looking at the tags and passing arround the packages than they did opening the gifts. (I also printed them each a little booklet with the pics and a poem about sisters.)

They still talk about those pics today.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  08:11:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, the TOOTH FAIRY! I've got a good story about that one, too! My son - this poor kid - was finally at the age that I had to tell him the big secret about the tooth fairy. Since he was homeschooled, I was really lucky to enjoy the magic of childhood a little longer than others, but suddenly all his friends "knew" about the tooth fairy, and he didn't, and it made me really uneasy knowing I'd soon have to drop that bombshell on him. One of his friends had recently spent the night and lost his tooth, so, of course, I went through the motions, much to the "horror" of his little buddy, who felt he was waaaay too grown up for this sort of thing anymore! I packed away his buddy's tooth in a little baggie for his Mom (in case she'd want it), and went on. Then, I knew, the next time my son lost one of his teeth, I would have to break down and tell him.

Weeeeellllll, the night finally came. We were saying prayers before bed, and as he was about to place his tooth in a special place for the tooth fairy, I told him I had to tell him something very important. Looking up at me, as he was, with the most trusting eyes, I suddenly was overcome with this sick feeling in my stomach. It felt to me as if I was about to shoot Bambi's mother. I held his little hand and told him, "Honey... I'm the tooth fairy." He looked at me, laughed out loud, and mocked me a little, saying, "You're not the tooth fairy, Mom! You're too funny!" Expecting he would be upset by my announcement, I was rather surprised and taken back. This was not at all the reaction I had expected! Now I would have my work cut out for me. I professed that I really was the tooth fairy. He laughed at me and said, "Yeah, right. PROVE it, Mom!" My goodness, who WAS this child laying in the bed before me?! I suddenly realized that I still had his buddy's tooth in my top drawer, having forgotten to give it to his Mom when she came to pick him up. I hadn't given it another thought until this perfectly opportune moment. In my most convincing tone I said, "Yes, I really, really am! I even have Jared's tooth to prove it!" Defiantly he said, "SHOW me!" So I got up, went into my drawer, pulled out the baggie and waved it in the air. This incredible look came over his face as he declared in the most wonder-struck tone I had ever heard him use, "MOOOOOM! You really AAAAARE the tooth fairy!" Oh, no! He had misunderstood! He honestly believed I was the tooth fairy!!! He started asking all sorts of unanswerable questions! Eghads! I just couldn't believe it! I had really ruined this child! What do I do now?

It took a little explaining and a couple of rounds of pointed questions, but he finally "got" it, and boy was he mad. He told me I should never have told him because I had ruined everything. I should have ignored my fears that his friends might laugh at him - so what? Suddenly he turned from a little boy filled with wonder to a little man on the warpath, fighting injustice! Eghads. He was pretty upset with us for both telling him the truth AND for upholding the ruse for so long. What about the Easter bunny? The wiley little Leprechaun? Yes... I had been them all. And oh, my word - even Santa Claus??? How COULD I? He was especially horrified at the part Norad plays in all of this - making kids think they are watching Santa's trip around the world live through their website! He was utterly disgusted. I was heartbroken. I had singlehandedly destroyed his childhood.

Once the next holiday came around, though, he suddenly became very, very excited about playing the part of the "special person" for other little kids in his life. This was a new twist on an old favorite that he could really get into! And let me tell you, he was GOOD. After all, he had learned from the master (or, rather, mistress!). Once again, he started to "get" it. Everything came full circle the following Christmas while I was tucking him in for the night. After prayers, he took both of his little hands, reached up and held my face. Looking deep into my eyes, he said, "Mom. YOU'RE Santa - just for me!" I about burst into tears. All was well.

To be totally honest, I'm not ready to let go of those beloved childhood characters. I still love the magic and wonder, and still play them to this day... even though he is now 14... and I am totally uncool... and horrifyingly embarrassing... "So what?" ;) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 11 2010 5:20:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  08:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you made my day. What a funny and heartwarming story about being a Mom...you're a very good writer too....I really could picture your story. Thank you, so much!

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you are HYSTERICAL! ROFL!!!! That was a great story! You should write professionally....that was just too good along with the first story....you have a gift girlfriend! Use it! Unbelievably good writing...I was right there with you! I raised 4 children and have a few stories myself but no way could I bring them to life like you did! You are one talented Mother! And what a lucky little boy you to have you and vice-versa. Thanks you for sharing!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  5:15:31 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Thank you, girls! :) I've got a million of them... I just have to share one more - briefly - about the Christmas we bought him army stuff - the real deal, OLD army issue... a helmet, a map carrier, a collapsible shovel, a backpack, a set of working WWII army phones; a whole bunch of different things...you get the idea. It was AWESOME. He has always been a real WWI & WWII buff, and he had seen all of these cool items in a catalog and went absolutely ga-ga. So, of course, we thought there'd be nothing better under the tree come Christmas morning - great for role playing AND awesome educational tools! Win - win, right? Weeeeellll.... Christmas morning came, and we sat on the edge of our seats as he tore through the paper, revealing his Christmas treasures. It wasn't as expected, though. Oh, he liked them well enough, but he had the strangest look on his face the whole time he was opening his gifts. We couldn't figure it out - he wasn't nearly as thrilled with them as we had thought he would be! He remained kind of solemn there throughout the entire Christmas break, too, which was really strange. We just figured maybe we had missed the mark, or that he was coming down with something, or even maybe that he was going through some sort of pre-pubescent phase, as boys will do. We asked what was wrong, but he kept insisting he was fine, so we just let it go. Everything was back to normal once school started back up, and we never gave it another thought. Years later we were talking about that Christmas, and how cool all those things were that we had found for him. Suddenly he blurted out, "Yeah, you two had me REALLY confused and scared! I thought this was your way of telling me I was going to be carted off to MILITARY SCHOOL!" LOL!! Oooohhh... we still can't tell the story without busting a gut! Poor kid. If he manages to survive us and make it to his adult years unscathed, he'll be ready for anything! LOL! I am a bad Mommy! LOL!!! - Nini (I'm done - I promise!)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 11 2010 5:19:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  05:56:14 AM  Show Profile
I used that site for a few years and loved it. I got off track last year when my mother had a very dangerous surgery. I may take it up again this year.

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile
I use the planner printables from this site, and they are a lifesaver

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116